News Box
WELCOME TO MLNO!!! ... ENJOY YOUR TIME HERE! ... WHILE YOU ARE HERE, CHECK OUT OUR RPGS!
My LEGO Nexus Organization
March 28, 2024, 09:47:45 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to My Lego Nexus Organization! A LEGO Universe, LEGO and My LEGO Network Fan Site! The LEGO Company does not sponsor, authorize, or endorse this site.-- New? Check out the welcome forum and get started! Got questions? PM Blade, or one of the other active members of the staff.

Home   Forum   Help Arcade Gallery Rules The MOC Corner Staff List Login Register Chat  

LEGOŽ Universe to close in 2012

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: LEGOŽ Universe to close in 2012  (Read 2676 times)
Flipz
Inventor

MLNO Reputation 2

Team: No Team
Purpose: Oh, just to hang out occasionally.

Yeah, I have that effect on people.

Badges: (View All)
Level 6 Tenth Year Anniversary Ninth Year Anniversary
« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2011, 08:38:09 pm »

The Jason Donovan version has more power, but meh.

Report Spam   Logged

3DS Friend Code: 3625-9584-9417 (Pokemon X Friend Safari: Electric-type, Pachirisu, Electabuzz, Huh?)
Fallen London Profile!
Joining through the link on my page earns me coffee.
Welcome, Delicious Friend!
Jayko
Initiate

MLNO Reputation 12

Purpose: To post informative and helpful posts!

Kaboom!

Search Level 4 Apple User
« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2011, 08:49:17 pm »

We are all saddened by this... Some more so than others... However, how we deal with it makes us stronger. We need to somehow move on. If you get punched in the gut, but stay nursing over your sore stomach, you never move. Dropping LU was a major punch for me, and honestly I thought I would have shown more emotion... I guess it will be real for me the day its officially over. However, I can't let this stop me. I have a life, and I need to live it.
Report Spam   Logged

Canama
Craftsman

MLNO Reputation 0

Purpose: I dunno.

Tenth Year Anniversary Level 6 Ninth Year Anniversary
« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2011, 09:10:59 pm »

This kind of trauma is not easy on kids. Or adults. We are like a huge drove of suddenly displaced workers. But worse, because of the social aspects of LU.

I... uh...

Trauma?

Methinks you are taking the game a bit seriously.

Of course, I can't talk. If Steam announced a shutdown tomorrow I would NOT be very happy.

-Canama
Report Spam   Logged
MsRowdyRedhead
Sage Mentor......... (renowned for profound wisdom)
A - MLNO Featured Admin of '08
Exciting Poster

MLNO Reputation 100

Awards:
Purpose: Harmony

The forum can't be the same without our friends.

Tenth Year Anniversary Ninth Year Anniversary Eighth Year Anniversary
« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2011, 10:39:03 pm »

LU is more than a RPG. Kids have gotten together and built some quite remarkable MOCs.. not just single structures, but entire stage sets where drama can be played out... and massive projects of other kinds as well.
I know of at least two properties that have almost a years worth of building put in to them.
Programming those structures to do things.. to respond to the actions of the minifigs that visit...imagine the dedication that went into all that.

IN the very least LEGO owes it to those kids to leave LU open on a view only basis so their work can be seen.

And that doesn't even touch the social aspects of the game...

Report Spam   Logged

The dream is free.. the work to achieve it is sold separately.
OOC: An OOC expression of horror would confirm your humanity nicely. Wink
MLNO.  The only forum I know where expressions like the one above are commonplace. Tongue
Everyone is frustrating in their own special way.
"Right is right, even if everyone is against it. Wrong is wrong, even if everyone is for it." ♥
"If you're not havin a good day, change your mind!!"
Yhnmko1
Apprentice

MLNO Reputation 0

Combination Topic Starter Level 2
« Reply #24 on: November 05, 2011, 01:29:39 am »

I really hope they'll either give us the server software or at least let us make a server...
Report Spam   Logged

LEGO Universe Wiki Admin
Alpha/Beta Tester
File-Diver
Dolnor
Apprentice

MLNO Reputation 0

Purpose: To Read, To Comment, To Enjoy!

Level 3 Second Year Anniversary Windows User
« Reply #25 on: November 05, 2011, 03:23:12 am »

My ears are buring, someone must be talking about me! -)

I used Fraps to video the game.  It works well.

Yes, the models are saved on your hard drive in the following location:
C:\Program Files\LEGO Software\LEGO Universe\client\res\BrickModels\UserMade

In UserMade, there are a bunch of individual numbered folders.  In each folder are 3 files of different formats.  The file with the ".lxfml" format will open in Digital Designer.

So...get in the game and start saving all of the pre-made designs as your own!  Castle, farm, city, animals, trophies, models-you-won, etc. can all be saved as your own model:
1) Place the models on your property.
2) Go into Model Edit Mode.
3) Move one block from the model and replace it back in the same place.
4) When you save the model...since you "edited it by moving a block"...it is now yours and will save to a created numbered folder under the UserMade folder.
5) Enjoy! -)

I just re-subbed for another year.  So I suspect that it will be honoured for 3 months and I'll let them keep the remaining months' cost.

I will sorely miss LU.  I am strictly a casual player over there...more of an explorer and still a tester of the game.  I don't understand why LEGO Group can't just keep a Dev or two to keep the game going as it stands...with small updates over time.  This is how Disney has prolonged Pirates of the Caribbean Online all this time...very small updates and very little content additions.

Perhaps someone will reverse-engineer the game and present something like SWGemulator.

I am sorry to hear the Team has been sacked already.  In these times, jobs are harder to come by.  I hope they will be able to transition on to new employments....remember, many have families to support! -*(

TQQdles™,

Dolnor Numbwit
Eternally Bummed -*(
Report Spam   Logged
MsRowdyRedhead
Exciting Poster

MLNO Reputation 100

Awards:

« Reply #26 on: November 05, 2011, 04:11:00 am »

Thank you so much for this Dolnor!!

As soon as I have a few minutes of sleep I will check it out.
Report Spam   Logged

MLNO.  The only forum I know where expressions like the one above are commonplace. Tongue
"Right is right, even if everyone is against it. Wrong is wrong, even if everyone is for it." ♥
Darth Rexus
Craftsman

MLNO Reputation 2

Purpose: What, exactly, does this require?

Visitor

Fourth Year Anniversary Level 5 Windows User
« Reply #27 on: November 05, 2011, 05:29:47 am »

Of course I will be sad when it is gone, but I will alway have fallback MMOs (Wizard101, Freerealms, LOTRO, Roblox, POTCO ect...). For me this is like making a great painting, spending month after month on it, then having it smashed...
Report Spam   Logged

Blade
Lightning Girl
A - Azure Striker
Crimson Apple Masterpiece Built!

MLNO Reputation 100

Awards:
Team: Network Strikers
Purpose: To stay DETERMINED

Bird... GO!

« Reply #28 on: November 05, 2011, 08:44:59 am »

I really hope they'll either give us the server software or at least let us make a server...
Here's something to thinks about, just to mention... Haven't other, more console-based MMOs had their servers closed, but other, unofficial, servers created? It'd likely be little more than a fan site, or so, but... If that happens... Then hopefully they'd just let it happen like most companies.(Though there it's mostly a kinda 'we don't care because we closed it already' situation, so...)

But really, what happened? 0_o And another thing, what is going on this year? I mean seriously, what's up with companies? MML3 canceled before even the playable demo's released... LU canceled not even two years in... I'm honestly speechless at the moves that companies are making this year.
Report Spam   Logged

I'm a girl - I'm a lesbian.

-==Blade's Story Library==-
-==Blade's RPG Library==-
A fresh start for the signature, aside for the libraries.

Blade is laughing ominously RUN FOR YOUR LIVES!!!
The forum is a girl? 0_o
I imagine new people coming to the forum expecting to see discussion about LEGO, only to see RPGs full of deranged characters and insane people talking about cheese and brains.
I'm beet. I don't think I'll do homework tonight.
So, you're a vegetable? Tongue
Kritzelei
MLN Quester
Craftsman

MLNO Reputation 7

Awards:
Purpose: To do something.

Fourth Year Anniversary Apple User Search
« Reply #29 on: November 05, 2011, 11:31:38 am »

I must apologise for not being here that often - no excuses apart from 'The Dark Ages', and the fact that only Technic LEGO interests me these days. My apologies.

However, as soon as I read this on another site, I knew I had to post it here - seems I was beaten to it. It is very saddening, but personally, I do not think the Free-to-Play LU gave users an accurate enough representation of what would be available for them in the subscription zones. I think I played it for about one weekend (on and off, not for 48 hours straight), and then I could not continue with the story. As I am now 15 years old, I don't think my parents would have approved of me buying a subscription for a game like this, considering I may lose interest after a week or two.

I cannot say how much I am saddened for LEGO though - they put so much effort into this, yet it seems it has not done so well after all. Pricing issues? Potentially. But I can see that they knew they would have to gain some profit from LU to keep it running - unfortunately not enough. I wish those who are to lose their jobs have the greatest ease in finding new jobs, potentially still inside LEGO, as they clearly have a lot of imagination.
Report Spam   Logged

I'm back. Probably not for long, as I've got school stuff to attend to, and I'll probably want to get a job at some point (hopefully self-employed). But nice to see you all again anyway.
Hunthe
Apprentice

MLNO Reputation 0

Level 1 First Post One Year Anniversary
« Reply #30 on: November 05, 2011, 03:04:41 pm »

This really is saddening, on many levels for me.
Report Spam   Logged
Ace
Network Striker
Initiate

MLNO Reputation 0

Brevity is the soul of wit.

Sixth Year Anniversary Fifth Year Anniversary Level 5
« Reply #31 on: November 05, 2011, 05:00:06 pm »

Well, this is a surprising twist from Lego. I bought the one-month subscription earlier this year, and while I didn't find LU to be phenomenal, it was certainly full of potential and gave me a few hours of chuckles each weekend.

I hope Lego's future decisions come out to be beneficial for the company and its fans.
Report Spam   Logged

MsRowdyRedhead
Exciting Poster

MLNO Reputation 100

Awards:

« Reply #32 on: November 05, 2011, 05:30:19 pm »

Someone asked me "what can we do..."

It seems there should be something..

"Answer the call.. save imagination!!"  rallied us all in game..

I believe a well thought out and respectfully written letter campaign would be a good start.

Fans save TV shows all the time.. why not LU??

It might not work, but it couldn't hurt, and cost little more than time.

While one grasshopper on the railroad tracks wouldn't slow a train very much, a billion of them would.

I refuse to sit by helplessly and accept without a whimper the demise of something we have all spent so much time in building and enjoying.

I have almost two years into this, counting the Alpha.. and that is worth something to me.
Report Spam   Logged

Blade
Lightning Girl
A - Azure Striker

MLNO Reputation 100

Awards:

Bird... GO!

« Reply #33 on: November 05, 2011, 06:54:21 pm »

Fans save TV shows, yes, but when it comes to interactive media, unfortunately, companies just don't pay as much attention... I mean, (And I hate to be a broken record here), look at Megaman Legends 3. One part of the campaign to get it uncanceled, was to send in letters.

Those letters were received alright, and we had proof(Even if that picture showed the letters were suspiciously close to a microwave); but nothing arrived from that. No game, just a tease that we might have something Megaman related in time for the 25th anniversary.

And honestly; I'm seeing a very similar reaction to this as the Megaman Legends 3 cancellation... And really, the only difference between the two, is one was released for a year, and one didn't get released in any form.

I'm not saying give up; as that'd be silly... However, I must remind everyone, that the odds are stacked way against us. The team's been dismantled already(I think only Capcom with shifting the MML3 team to different departments is in the way of that being a world record), the final day is in under three months, and, well, everything LU-related is slowly being killed off, like the contests.(And I doubt we'll be seeing Frostburgh again, even as a consolation gift) But even so, we can't give up. Even if it has to live on as a fan-continued game, we have to do something.
Report Spam   Logged

The forum is a girl? 0_o
I imagine new people coming to the forum expecting to see discussion about LEGO, only to see RPGs full of deranged characters and insane people talking about cheese and brains.
MsRowdyRedhead
Exciting Poster

MLNO Reputation 100

Awards:

« Reply #34 on: November 05, 2011, 08:05:01 pm »

It can't be a fan continued game... give that thought up. TLG owns all the content and we all signed a users agreement. The NDA for employees being up will only allow them to talk about ideas, not implementation.
Unless someone purchases the rights to LU, NONE of its content may be used. not one iota.

Most game studios retain the game assets and code, so technically it will be preserved within the LEGO company, however with MMOs the only way players can still play it after it's released is if the source code is leaked/stolen or reverse engineered. As far as I know no company has ever released the source to their MMO, most likely because of millions of dollars invested in making the technology, which they wouldn't want competition to get a hold of for free.

It  would not be legal, unless you purchased those rights from LEGO.

However, enough attention might cause a revival by TLG or purchase of rights by another entity.
Report Spam   Logged

Blade
Lightning Girl
A - Azure Striker

MLNO Reputation 100

Awards:

Bird... GO!

« Reply #35 on: November 05, 2011, 08:32:10 pm »

Then it dies. Simple as that. If no-one fights for something like what happens to other MMOs, which might I add, the original creators of that never complain, then it dies.

At this point, LEGO would need a very good reason to revive it... And unfortunately, this is another way that LU differs from MML3's cancellation... The cancellation for MML3 was uncalled for, as they had no effective data to show that people wanted it... And even after all that attention and massive uproar; MML3 is showing no signs of being released unless things rapidly change... Even after another few developers have expressed interest in finishing it.

However, here, we have a year of data on how many players are playing, and such. We know that people really like it; and really want to play it... heck; I want to play it, and at this rate, I literally never will(Thanks a lot, LEGO. >_>); but well... It's a fact on BZP, and it's a fact on here... The people who are outspoken on forums, are in the majority typically... And if you look on BZP, a lot of the members who are replying, are mostly saying 'I told you so', or saying other things that are negative to LU... And I doubt that's helping anything. =/ While a campaign might work, and I wouldn't be opposed to it... The chances of it working for LEGO to revive the game, without relying on unofficial servers, or even LEGO giving up the rights(Which IMO is even more unlikely than them reviving it themselves), are just about 0. I'm not going to lie; it's not a good outlook for the game, but I don't really think I should kid myself... If three or more months of trying to get a game back has failed already this year; the only thing we have going that would be different, is the fact that LEGO's a more fan-orientated company than Capcom from the getgo... But I don't even think that'll help if there's no possibility of the game living on past the deadline without LEGO's say-so.

I know; you'll say something like "Don't be so pessimistic, we can do this, if we gather attention we can show LEGO they were wrong!"... But; again; I already went through that once this year. That didn't work out a bit; even though at one point the movement reached I believe every inch of the Capcom site. Nothing happened. Everything canceled this year is still canceled. I stand by the thought that half these are fail cancellations, but in the end, the company has the last say, and I would request one time when a cancellation has been undone by fan effort alone, without that being an unofficial server being put up for an MMO, as it doesn't count in this situation anymore given what you said.
Report Spam   Logged

The forum is a girl? 0_o
MsRowdyRedhead
Exciting Poster

MLNO Reputation 100

Awards:

« Reply #36 on: November 05, 2011, 09:05:47 pm »

Blade, this is not MML3, whatever that is. this is about LU. Maybe we need a topic for the other as well.
Report Spam   Logged

Blade
Lightning Girl
A - Azure Striker

MLNO Reputation 100

Awards:

Bird... GO!

« Reply #37 on: November 05, 2011, 09:14:57 pm »

There was one. And it died because everyone ignored it when it needed help most. And if you want to know what MML3 is, look at my purpose, or think back to what I was ranting about months ago when Capcom canceled it.

And this is about LU; but that doesn't mean that comparisons between situations can't be made... I was making a comparison. Both games got canceled. Both companies in charge have no intentions on bringing it back or letting others try and bring it back themselves.(Fact... Because LEGO stated that they were canceling the game, they let go of a lot of the dev team, and they've been saying they won't release the server software.) Both games are/did have a campaign to get the game in question brought back.

There are multiple differences, but this situation has many similarities to the one back in July. I'm hoping myself that the situation changes for the better unlike when Megaman Legends 3 got cancelled... However; if this works, I'd recommend no-one participate in luck-based games or contests after this, because I bet all the luck would've been used. =P
Report Spam   Logged

The forum is a girl? 0_o
MsRowdyRedhead
Exciting Poster

MLNO Reputation 100

Awards:

« Reply #38 on: November 05, 2011, 09:31:31 pm »

LU  had over 100K subscribers...That is enough income to stay open if they made some changes. 

We just have to convince them that it is worth the try.

Report Spam   Logged

Blade
Lightning Girl
A - Azure Striker

MLNO Reputation 100

Awards:

Bird... GO!

« Reply #39 on: November 05, 2011, 09:36:23 pm »

Okay, another difference... I wish MML3 had 100k supporters, then we might have had the game back by now... =/

But yeah, I guess you're right... But, one thing is, how would all 100k subscribers find out about this plan, and help out? Or are you only trying to a smaller amount? Just curious there...
Report Spam   Logged

The forum is a girl? 0_o
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

LEGOŽ is a trademark of the LEGO Group, which does not sponsor, authorize or endorse this site.
Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum