News Box
WELCOME TO MLNO!!! ... ENJOY YOUR TIME HERE! ... WHILE YOU ARE HERE, CHECK OUT OUR RPGS!
My LEGO Nexus Organization
March 28, 2024, 06:03:04 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to My Lego Nexus Organization! A LEGO Universe, LEGO and My LEGO Network Fan Site! The LEGO Company does not sponsor, authorize, or endorse this site.-- New? Check out the welcome forum and get started! Got questions? PM Blade, or one of the other active members of the staff.

Home   Forum   Help Arcade Gallery Rules The MOC Corner Staff List Login Register Chat  

LEGO® Universe to close in 2012

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: LEGO® Universe to close in 2012  (Read 2690 times)
MsRowdyRedhead
Sage Mentor......... (renowned for profound wisdom)
A - MLNO Featured Admin of '08
Exciting Poster

MLNO Reputation 100

Awards:
Team: No Team
Purpose: Harmony

The forum can't be the same without our friends.

Badges: (View All)
Tenth Year Anniversary Ninth Year Anniversary Eighth Year Anniversary
« Reply #40 on: November 05, 2011, 10:39:39 pm »

With the 100K  plus subscribers they had, they could certainly keep the game open if they made a few changes.
 But if no one makes the call, or answers the call, they will feel no pressure to attempt to do so.
I grew up in an era where we fought for what we believed in, and stood up for what we wanted to change (remember the Vietnam protests) and I believe LU is worth trying to save.

We may not be successful, that is true. Everyone who runs a marathon does not win. But without question, everyone who runs a marathon, and especially those who finish, gain something of immeasurable worth.

LU is more than just a game. It is the expression of the creative mind of multiple generations of LEGO builders and fans, as well as the work of developers and players together and I will NOT walk away from that without a fight!

I am not ready to give up on LU.

WE may not succeed, but I will only be disappointed if no one TRIES.. and if that happens, I will be heart broken.

EDIT!!
I NOW have the email addy of a Senior VP at TLG.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2011, 01:16:52 am by MsRowdyRedhead » Report Spam   Logged

The dream is free.. the work to achieve it is sold separately.
OOC: An OOC expression of horror would confirm your humanity nicely. Wink
MLNO.  The only forum I know where expressions like the one above are commonplace. Tongue
Everyone is frustrating in their own special way.
"Right is right, even if everyone is against it. Wrong is wrong, even if everyone is for it." ♥
"If you're not havin a good day, change your mind!!"
Walter313
MLN Quester
JuniorBuilder

MLNO Reputation 0

Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #41 on: November 10, 2011, 10:55:24 am »

If there's anything I could do help, let me know! Even though I don't do much with legos anymore, I still enjoyed playing Lego Universe daily during my free time. And my little bro is always looking forward to the next time he'll get to play. So I'm all for saving LU!
Report Spam   Logged
DonutCrazy
Apprentice

MLNO Reputation 0

Purpose: 42...Just kidding. Make bad jokes?

Search Apple User Combination
« Reply #42 on: November 13, 2011, 06:14:43 pm »

From Brick Universe, by SentinelKnightW... :

Send PM

Dear members of Brick Universe

Hello all !!! here is a copy of letter sent to LEGO Corporate on 11-12-2011 by us parents.

Thank you for your attention

Please pass the word.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Dear

Mr. Kjeld Kirk Kristansen, Owner
Jorgen Vig Knudstorp, CEO
Sten Daugaard, CFO
All Lego Group
And other partners

We respectfully are writing today us parents to share and express our discontent towards the way Lego Universe is being handle by the Lego Group since the announcement of the closing of the game.

We know Lego Group as a company has been doing wonderful reaching their targets, zero recalls in 2010, top tent on employee safety, energy Efficiency Company, recycling your own waste, and supporting the learning of aprox. 55 million children in 2010; but what do you think as a company those children that you try to support are learning from this bad experience; you can just take a look at the Lego Universe message boards comments, or go into the game and hear comments of disappointed kids and a lot of frustration; some of these kids even are expressing frustration when they go to school, or at home when they cry because they can’t understand how something like this can happen.

As parents we believe that this was the wrong way to closed this game. The approach that you have decided to take towards children players of Lego Universe is ruining the Lego Experience that for years you have built to achieve a success and is leaving a big negative impact in society and it will be passed from one generation to the next and for sure it won’t inspire those builders of tomorrow.
Do you think you’re sending the right message?, We don’t think so.
You’re actually affecting the growth of Lego Group and leaving a bad impression in the hearts of a lot kids. This is not a responsible way to do things.
You created a Great product with Lego Universe but you’re ruining the experience the way things are getting handled during the closing of the game; what type of “well-balanced business model” is this.
Company’s make mistakes or have products not reach their expectations but as a successful company that you’re with great products, strong values and efficient operations you need to correct immediately what’s going on with Lego Universe and respect those children that made you grow as a company “Us” now parents and grand-parents, and “Respect Our Children” that are the future builders that will keep Lego Group growing as a successful business.
Now after saying all this; if it is still in the best interest of the company to close Lego Universe go ahead and close the game, we don’t disagree; like you said it needs to be done because you didn’t attract the numbers of members needed. As parents and also business owners we wouldn’t like for a company to lose money, but before you do that, helps us save the reputation of the game and the education that it has been giving in-game on multiple ways to our kids. They have learned to be creative, socialized with other kids and learned to help each other and respect one another as one big family. Keep your promises and do it the right way, finish giving the results for all the contests that had already finished, even the ones from championship contest up to 11-10-2011 and give the prizes to those kids that are waiting to get rewarded for their big effort. Give them back their joy and pride; and try to make if possible, a special final day in-game for those kids that supported you and believed in you during all this time, and let them leave the game remembering the best experience of their lives in a massive multiplayer online game. As we all know this game is not just a regular game it promotes education and inspires children in positive ways.

We believe we can count on you Lego Group, as you stated: “ is important to keep doing the right thing in the right way” you can fix this, it is not too late and don’t forget your mission to “Inspire and develop the builders of Tomorrow”.

As you stated: “Only the best is good enough”, that’s the spirit!!!!!!

Thank you very much for your time and we hope you pay close attention to resolve these issues.

Sincerely

Parents, children and members of Lego Universe.

11-12-2011

CC:

Lego Owner
Kjeld Kirk Kristansen
Media@Lego.com

CEO
Jorgen Vig Knudstorp
Media@Lego.com

CFO
Sten Daugaard
Media@Lego.com

EVP, Global Supply Chain (GSC)
Bali Padda
Media@Lego.com

EVP, Community, Education & Direct (CED) ,
Lisbeth Valther Pallesen
Media@Lego.com

EVP, Corporate Center (CC),
Christian Iversen
Media@Lego.com

EVP, Markets & Products (M&P),
Mads Nipper
Media@Lego.com

Charlotte Simonsen
Head of corporate communications
Media@Lego.com

Helle Sofie Kaspersen
Vice President, Corporate Governance & sustainability
sustainability@Lego.com

Andrew Arnold
PR and Communications Manager
Andrew.Arnold@Lego.com

Roar Rude Tranqback
Communications Manager
Roar@Lego.com

Stephan Turnipseed
President of Lego Education North America
kbrown@LEGOeducation.us

Michael McNally
Brand Relations Director
LEGO Systems, Inc.
press@america.LEGO.com

Caroline Squire
Director of Marketing – ANZ
LEGO Australia PTY Limited
Caroline.Squire@LEGO.com

LEGO GmbH
Katharina Sutch
Technopark II
Katharina.Sutch@LEGO.com

Denmark
Johnny Skovlund
Marketing Manager
Johnny.Skovlund@LEGO.com

Norway
Anders Aanestad
Marketing Manager
Anders.Aanestad@LEGO.com

Sweden
John Andersson
Marketing Manager
John.Andersson@LEGO.com

Flemming Binderup Gammelgaard
The LEGO Group
Flemming.Binderup.Gammelgaard@lego.com

Helle Winding, The LEGO Group
helle.winding@lego.com

LEGO Group
Kristin Greene
kristin.greene@lego.com

Michael McNally, The LEGO Group
michael.mcnally@LEGO.com

Kenneth Johnson
kjohnson@LEGOeducation.us

Dustin Rhodes
drhodes@LEGOeducation.us

Fiona Chan for The LEGO Group
chan@flashpointpr.com

Eddiemae Jukes
TriplePoint
eddiemae@triplepointpr.com

Karen Lynch Nolan, Flashpoint PR
nolan@flashpointpr.com

Wendy Rutherford, Cartoon Network
wendy.rutherford@turner.com

Chris Argyropoulos, Lucasfilm Ltd.
chris.argyropoulos@lucasfilm.com

Warner Bros. Consumer Products
Janice Aguilar-Herrero
janice.aguilar-herrero@wbconsultant.com

For Marvel Entertainment
Jeffrey Klein, Callie Burrows
Jeff_klein@dkcnews.com
Callie_burrows@dkcnews.com

Dr. Charles Fombrun
Founder and Chairman
info@reputationinstitute.com

Nicolas G. Trad Executive Partner
GlobalAdvice@reputationinstitute.com

Confidentiality Notice:
The information transmitted in this e-mail message, including any attachments, is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s), person(s) or entity to which it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged material. Any unauthorized review, retransmission, dissemination, other use of, disclosure, distribution or taking of any action in reliance upon this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, or you receive this in error, please contact the sender by reply e-mail and delete and destroy all copies of the original message including any other material attached to the message from any computer.

Report Spam   Logged

I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan the day.
E. B. White
MsRowdyRedhead
Exciting Poster

MLNO Reputation 100

Awards:

« Reply #43 on: December 14, 2011, 03:17:16 pm »

From Brick U by the Great Yak:

A danish interview with Vilstrup regarding the closure. Paste the latter URL into google translate, it's mostly readable.

http://translate.google.com/

http://www.comon.dk/art/204629?a=rss&i=0

The comments section does not translate.

(note the Dilbert comic in Danish at the bottom...)

Anyways, sounds like the "digital" strategy is now, "anything developed and hosted in-house should concern itself only with current product lines," otherwise it will be along the Traveller's Tales/WB Games licensing to a partner company, where Lego gets it's licensing fees and retains control of the IP, and the partner companies are in charge of distribution and marketing for that property.

Sadly, he doesn't mention if they even explored selling it off to another company (one with MMOG management experience). The only real IP in it that was not developed strictly for LU was the Ninjago content, which could certainly have been excised if they were developing/licensing other IP (computer games with an exclusive license for the licensee) with that theme.
Report Spam   Logged

MLNO.  The only forum I know where expressions like the one above are commonplace. Tongue
"Right is right, even if everyone is against it. Wrong is wrong, even if everyone is for it." ♥
Legodac
Failed
X Banned Members
Inventor

MLNO Reputation -10

Awards:
Purpose: Well, to bring you Lego news Camera  my own Lego Store, then perhaps being the 9th Lego Pro, then if there is enough money, I may bring Stanley Home

AND ONE BOWL OF VEGGIE BEEF SOUP, TO FEED THEM ALL

Level 5 Fourth Year Anniversary Combination
« Reply #44 on: December 14, 2011, 05:02:20 pm »

Interesting eh, however I didn't see any mention as to why they thought there wasn't enough players.

BTW, if you have Google chrome, the option to translate is asked right away
Report Spam   Logged

From Frostburgh they came,           the clones of the cold, through the tunnel in the frame,            to a tower so old
clic this eh http://s681.photobucket.com/albums/vv176/legodac/?start=all
JediGuineaPig
Apprentice

MLNO Reputation 0

Purpose: Generally have a good time and learn

Level 5 Level 4 Level 3
« Reply #45 on: December 15, 2011, 01:38:35 am »

This is an interesting comment i found on Kotaku Australia

"The REAL reason they’re closing, is because LEGO is doing everything they can to get out of virtual building, and focus entirely on real brick sales. The old dudes in Denmark have finally realized that the worst thing they can do to their bottom line is encourage people to build stuff with virtual bricks. I bet we’re about to see LEGO completely abandon all of their online building experiments, and focus entirely on sales of real bricks. If it was just about not wanting to prop up another failing venture, then they would have closed the theme parks a long time ago. Except the parks still promote real sales, whereas LU did not. It actually does the opposite. Since LU came out I barely touch my real bricks anymore, and I certainly am not going to buy anymore now that I can have unlimited building for a measely ten dollars a month. They know exactly what a popular building game will do to there company,..it’ll sink it. Theyd have to charge at least $300 to $400 for a year sub to even begin to recoup the lost sales revenue, from real sets that players arent buying anymore. Mind you, if they had come out with LU sets at the start then I would have bought them, but I also think they messed up on the intelectual property rights of the LU story. I cant think of another reason why they havent merchandised LU yet."
Report Spam   Logged
MsRowdyRedhead
Exciting Poster

MLNO Reputation 100

Awards:

« Reply #46 on: December 15, 2011, 01:45:12 am »

THAT hits the nail right on the head!
Report Spam   Logged

Ace
Network Striker
Initiate

MLNO Reputation 0

Brevity is the soul of wit.

Sixth Year Anniversary Fifth Year Anniversary Level 5
« Reply #47 on: December 15, 2011, 02:59:52 pm »

Since LU came out I barely touch my real bricks anymore, and I certainly am not going to buy anymore now that I can have unlimited building for a measely ten dollars a month.

This was actually one of the reasons I bought LU. Not that I want to see the company sink -- I'm just a college student with no place to put any actual LEGO sets where I live anymore.  Undecided

I can't wait to see what new sets will come out of this, though.

Report Spam   Logged

Flipz
Inventor

MLNO Reputation 2

Purpose: Oh, just to hang out occasionally.

Yeah, I have that effect on people.

Level 6 Tenth Year Anniversary Ninth Year Anniversary
« Reply #48 on: December 15, 2011, 10:57:59 pm »

I still don't get why they refuse to continue marketing the IP, just as physical sets.  Heck, if they'd started a line of LU sets before closing LU, it would have softened the blow (i.e. "We're sad that Lego Universe is closing, but you can continue the fight to save Imagination with a new wave of Lego Universe sets, coming this January!").  Has anyone else figured out a valid reason that Lego HASN'T turned LU into sets this whole time, despite both popular request AND company policy demanding it??
Report Spam   Logged

3DS Friend Code: 3625-9584-9417 (Pokemon X Friend Safari: Electric-type, Pachirisu, Electabuzz, Huh?)
Fallen London Profile!
Joining through the link on my page earns me coffee.
Welcome, Delicious Friend!
MsRowdyRedhead
Exciting Poster

MLNO Reputation 100

Awards:

« Reply #49 on: December 15, 2011, 11:13:46 pm »

Because they knew before they opened they were closing in a year??
Report Spam   Logged

mtmerrick
RS Leader
Old Timer

MLNO Reputation 10

Awards:
Purpose: Rebuild

Living in the future, today.

Fifth Year Anniversary 100 Posts in one day Search
« Reply #50 on: December 16, 2011, 12:20:46 am »

"The REAL reason they’re closing, is because LEGO is doing everything they can to get out of virtual building, and focus entirely on real brick sales. The old dudes in Denmark have finally realized that the worst thing they can do to their bottom line is encourage people to build stuff with virtual bricks. I bet we’re about to see LEGO completely abandon all of their online building experiments, and focus entirely on sales of real bricks. If it was just about not wanting to prop up another failing venture, then they would have closed the theme parks a long time ago. Except the parks still promote real sales, whereas LU did not. It actually does the opposite. Since LU came out I barely touch my real bricks anymore, and I certainly am not going to buy anymore now that I can have unlimited building for a measely ten dollars a month. They know exactly what a popular building game will do to there company,..it’ll sink it. Theyd have to charge at least $300 to $400 for a year sub to even begin to recoup the lost sales revenue, from real sets that players arent buying anymore. Mind you, if they had come out with LU sets at the start then I would have bought them, but I also think they messed up on the intelectual property rights of the LU story. I cant think of another reason why they havent merchandised LU yet."

this also explains what they're doing to LDD as well.
Report Spam   Logged

Talk To Me          Quote Archive
I've got no place to go, I've got nowhere to run.
They love to watch me fall, they think they know it all.
I'm a nightmare, a disaster, that's what they always said.
I'm a lost cause, not a hero, but I'll make it on my own.
I've gotta prove them wrong - It's me against the world.
It is, in the end, whatever the **** I want it to be.
And when I'm through with it, it's gonna blow a hole this wide
straight through the worlds own idea of itself.
Come on, lets go break their arms.
Mahri828
Inventor

MLNO Reputation 2

Purpose: Incognito

Let's end this...

« Reply #51 on: December 16, 2011, 11:10:57 am »

I think that you have a very valid point there, but I know that what you say isn't true for everyone. Think of it as similar to Kindle's. You can read books on them, and lots of people do, but, for example, I would still rather pay $20 for a hardcover book than $5 to read something off a screen. Same idea with thet legos here.
Report Spam   Logged

It seems in every hero's time they find an enemy that defeats them in battle. Their reply? Look up in the pouring rain, and chase down their nemisis for a showdown.
mtmerrick
RS Leader
Old Timer

MLNO Reputation 10

Awards:
Purpose: Rebuild

Living in the future, today.

Fifth Year Anniversary 100 Posts in one day Search
« Reply #52 on: December 16, 2011, 02:23:20 pm »

apparently you've never used a kindle - it looks just like paper. Tongue
Report Spam   Logged

Talk To Me          Quote Archive
I've got no place to go, I've got nowhere to run.
They love to watch me fall, they think they know it all.
I'm a nightmare, a disaster, that's what they always said.
I'm a lost cause, not a hero, but I'll make it on my own.
I've gotta prove them wrong - It's me against the world.
It is, in the end, whatever the **** I want it to be.
And when I'm through with it, it's gonna blow a hole this wide
straight through the worlds own idea of itself.
Come on, lets go break their arms.
Legodac
Failed
X Banned Members
Inventor

MLNO Reputation -10

Awards:
Purpose: Well, to bring you Lego news Camera  my own Lego Store, then perhaps being the 9th Lego Pro, then if there is enough money, I may bring Stanley Home

« Reply #53 on: December 16, 2011, 02:53:53 pm »

You all make valid points, some I agree with and some I don't. LU is closing because Lego wants their customers buying Lego and not playing with it in a virtual world. Mt's point on this being similar to the LDD crisis is only partly correct. But still, both reasons stem from the almighty dollar.

Perhaps Lego speaks the truth when they say LU's turnout was disappointing. Perhaps Design By Me is the opposite, turnout to buy a model you designed may have been overwhelming for them, can you imagine the cost of each set, trust me, the high price of DBM still didn't make them a dime.

But hey, we are all die-hard here and from the looks of it, we will be until you-know-what freezes over, remember, when Lego closes a door, they always open a window or three...
Report Spam   Logged

From Frostburgh they came,           the clones of the cold, through the tunnel in the frame,            to a tower so old
MsRowdyRedhead
Exciting Poster

MLNO Reputation 100

Awards:

« Reply #54 on: December 16, 2011, 07:09:45 pm »

From a Developer friend..
Developers who poured their hearts into the game were pushing for LU lego sets from day one, but were ignored by the execs in Denmark. Just saying... I witnessed it all first-hand at the meetings.
Report Spam   Logged

Legodac
Failed
X Banned Members
Inventor

MLNO Reputation -10

Awards:

« Reply #55 on: December 16, 2011, 07:14:17 pm »

Welcome to reality, Lego is just another giant trying to be bigger
Report Spam   Logged

Teddy3333
JuniorBuilder

MLNO Reputation 0

Purpose: To make the world a better place.

Entrepreneur

« Reply #56 on: December 16, 2011, 07:32:30 pm »

You all make valid points, some I agree with and some I don't. LU is closing because Lego wants their customers buying Lego and not playing with it in a virtual world. Mt's point on this being similar to the LDD crisis is only partly correct. But still, both reasons stem from the almighty dollar.

Perhaps Lego speaks the truth when they say LU's turnout was disappointing. Perhaps Design By Me is the opposite, turnout to buy a model you designed may have been overwhelming for them, can you imagine the cost of each set, trust me, the high price of DBM still didn't make them a dime.

But hey, we are all die-hard here and from the looks of it, we will be until you-know-what freezes over, remember, when Lego closes a door, they always open a window or three...

A companies policy is basically to make as much money as morally (and sometimes immorally) possible. Thus, if LU was making money, they would keep it.
Report Spam   Logged
MsRowdyRedhead
Exciting Poster

MLNO Reputation 100

Awards:

« Reply #57 on: January 26, 2012, 04:57:08 pm »

Four more full days, and then...
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

LEGO® is a trademark of the LEGO Group, which does not sponsor, authorize or endorse this site.
Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum