News Box
WELCOME TO MLNO!!! ... ENJOY YOUR TIME HERE! ... WHILE YOU ARE HERE, CHECK OUT OUR RPGS!
My LEGO Nexus Organization
April 20, 2024, 12:51:16 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to My Lego Nexus Organization! A LEGO Universe, LEGO and My LEGO Network Fan Site! The LEGO Company does not sponsor, authorize, or endorse this site.-- New? Check out the welcome forum and get started! Got questions? PM Blade, or one of the other active members of the staff.

Home   Forum   Help Arcade Gallery Rules The MOC Corner Staff List Login Register Chat  

Star Wars Books and Graphic Novels Discussion

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Star Wars Books and Graphic Novels Discussion  (Read 659 times)
Ace
Network Striker
Initiate

MLNO Reputation 0

Brevity is the soul of wit.

Badges: (View All)
Sixth Year Anniversary Fifth Year Anniversary Level 5
« on: May 06, 2012, 10:46:24 pm »

If anybody here reads or has read or is planning to read any Star Wars novels, comic books, and whatever else is out there in terms of paper media, talk about it here!

I'm reading Inferno, one of the Legacy of the Force novels. This whole series is just incredibly well-written. I'm always at the edge of my seat, waiting to see what will happen between the Solo and Skywalker families and how the galaxy will be impacted.

Other books I've read are the Republic Commando novels, X-Wing Squadron novels, and other scattered books, including Deathtroopers. As for graphic novels I have completed the Legacy series, started the Knights of the Old Republic series, and anything on Boba and Jango Fett.

Karen Traviss is one of my favorite authors, but I also enjoy works by Timothy Zahn, Aaron Allston and Troy Denning.

Oh, and make sure any potential spoilers are put under spoiler tags, too.
Report Spam   Logged

The Truth
Ace RPG Master
Emote Manager
Veteran

MLNO Reputation 100

Awards:
Team: No Team
Purpose: Flower Garden 2/3, now on my DeviantART!

Yes, my Lord.

Tenth Year Anniversary Ninth Year Anniversary Eighth Year Anniversary
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2012, 03:13:10 pm »

Hm...well, it would be easier for me to list the books/graphic novels I HAVEN'T read. Tongue
Report Spam   Logged

Quote from: Albert Einstein
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits.
Try SWTOR free via this link and we both get prizes.

SWTOR info:
Server: The Harbinger. Name: Pythirr.
Class: Sith Inquisitor (Assassin). Alignment: Light Side V.
Level: 60! Legacy level: 50. Current planet:  Yavin IV dailies. Current OP: The Ravagers. Legacy Surname: Falton
Collector's Edition, VIP, Founder, PTS 1.2 and 1.3, RotHC Pre-order, , SOR Beta Tester, and Pre-Order player.
Other characters: Ullonit (Agent), Ka'laana (Consular), Hasko (Trooper), Vítrial (Warrior), Massacha (Smuggler), Nassius (Bounty Hunter), Liralee (Knight).
Blade
Lightning Girl
A - Azure Striker
Crimson Apple Masterpiece Built!

MLNO Reputation 100

Awards:
Team: Network Strikers
Purpose: To stay DETERMINED

Bird... GO!

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2012, 03:20:15 pm »

Just as a mention, Ace, we don't have spoiler tags, so you'd need to use color=transparent tags. =) (As for why we don't, that's a very good question.)
Report Spam   Logged

I'm a girl - I'm a lesbian.

-==Blade's Story Library==-
-==Blade's RPG Library==-
A fresh start for the signature, aside for the libraries.

Blade is laughing ominously RUN FOR YOUR LIVES!!!
The forum is a girl? 0_o
I imagine new people coming to the forum expecting to see discussion about LEGO, only to see RPGs full of deranged characters and insane people talking about cheese and brains.
I'm beet. I don't think I'll do homework tonight.
So, you're a vegetable? Tongue
Ace
Network Striker
Initiate

MLNO Reputation 0

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2012, 03:41:33 pm »

@Truth: List them alphabetically, that will help!  Grin Well, is there any particular character or era that you like reading about?

@Blade: Oh. Well. Outside of transparent text, I guess writing *SPOILERS* obnoxiously will help, too.
Report Spam   Logged

The Truth
Ace RPG Master
Emote Manager
Veteran

MLNO Reputation 100

Awards:

Yes, my Lord.

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2012, 04:01:40 pm »

Well, I have literally read over 300 Star Wars books and comics.  sweatdrop

The ones I DON'T have...

A Long Time Ago Omnibus 5.

Dawn of the Jedi

Knight Errant Volume 2.

Knights of the Old Republic - War

Invasion Volume 3.

Scourge.

Omnibus: Droids and Ewoks.

And one or two of the Star Wars Adventures books.

So, really, the ones I don't have are either out of stock or not yet published. Tongue

Era...Fate of the Jedi era and Old Republic era.

Favourite characters...I like things with Sith protagonists, such as Vestara.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2012, 04:05:56 pm by The Truth » Report Spam   Logged

SWTOR info:
Level: 60! Legacy level: 50. Current planet:  Yavin IV dailies. Current OP: The Ravagers. Legacy Surname: Falton
Collector's Edition, VIP, Founder, PTS 1.2 and 1.3, RotHC Pre-order, , SOR Beta Tester, and Pre-Order player.
Other characters: Ullonit (Agent), Ka'laana (Consular), Hasko (Trooper), Vítrial (Warrior), Massacha (Smuggler), Nassius (Bounty Hunter), Liralee (Knight).
Ace
Network Striker
Initiate

MLNO Reputation 0

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2012, 05:54:14 pm »

I love the Omnibus collections! I have the ones on Quinlan Vos, Boba Fett, and Emissaries and Assassins. I definitely do not have anything on your collection, though. The art in those comics are really quite beautiful; I think that is the aspect I like the most, second only to the storyline.

Old Republic is awesome. As for sith, have you read any of those Darth Bane novels? It's funny hearing "Sith" and "protagonist" in the same sentence, lol
Report Spam   Logged

mtmerrick
RS Leader
Old Timer

MLNO Reputation 10

Awards:
Purpose: Rebuild

Living in the future, today.

Fifth Year Anniversary 100 Posts in one day Search
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2012, 06:01:53 pm »

My only star wars books are the full series of Junior Jedi Knights and Jedi Quest.  sweatdrop
Report Spam   Logged

Talk To Me          Quote Archive
I've got no place to go, I've got nowhere to run.
They love to watch me fall, they think they know it all.
I'm a nightmare, a disaster, that's what they always said.
I'm a lost cause, not a hero, but I'll make it on my own.
I've gotta prove them wrong - It's me against the world.
It is, in the end, whatever the **** I want it to be.
And when I'm through with it, it's gonna blow a hole this wide
straight through the worlds own idea of itself.
Come on, lets go break their arms.
The Truth
Ace RPG Master
Emote Manager
Veteran

MLNO Reputation 100

Awards:

Yes, my Lord.

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2012, 06:08:34 pm »

Read the Bane trilogy as soon as the books came out. Grin
Report Spam   Logged

SWTOR info:
Flipz
Inventor

MLNO Reputation 2

Purpose: Oh, just to hang out occasionally.

Yeah, I have that effect on people.

Level 6 Tenth Year Anniversary Ninth Year Anniversary
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2012, 01:48:42 am »

Troy Denning.

>_< Let's not get me started.

Actually, you know what, this IS the place for it, so I'm going to say it.

Troy Denning is the worst thing to happen to Star Wars next to Jar-Jar Binks.

Karen Traviss is one of my favorite authors, but I also enjoy works by Timothy Zahn, Aaron Allston and Troy Denning.

Thou mentionest the Great One, the Author Exile, Karen Traviss, in the same sentence as  DenningBlasphemy! Tongue

But seriously, Denning and The Clone Wars together drove Karen Traviss out of Star Wars.  I never liked Denning for a minute, but when I learned what the people behind The Clone Wars did to her, I lost all respect I had or ever might have had for them. You don't do that to a writer, it's just plain wrongAngry
Report Spam   Logged

3DS Friend Code: 3625-9584-9417 (Pokemon X Friend Safari: Electric-type, Pachirisu, Electabuzz, Huh?)
Fallen London Profile!
Joining through the link on my page earns me coffee.
Welcome, Delicious Friend!
The Truth
Ace RPG Master
Emote Manager
Veteran

MLNO Reputation 100

Awards:

Yes, my Lord.

« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2012, 01:03:49 pm »

I happen to like Troy Denning.
I actually got to talk to him at a book signing, too.

Karen Traviss...
I like her books, but not the way she quit because of some minor canon changes. I didn't like the changes either (understatement of the year), but that wasn't reason enough to quit, IMO.
Report Spam   Logged

SWTOR info:
Flipz
Inventor

MLNO Reputation 2

« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2012, 02:32:06 pm »

From what I understand, it wasn't just a minor change--the Clone Wars people completely changed the way the Mandalorians were handled for that era, effectively de-canonizing the majority of her work.  I'd leave, too, if someone did that to me--there was no need for that at all.

Denning's books are dry and bland, his characters (with the notable exception of the Hapans) are uninteresting compared to when they are being written by anyone else, and he deliberately set out to screw over Traviss in Legacy of the Force.  Case in point (SPOILERS!): plot-wise, Invincible had tremendous potential.  If Zahn or Traviss or even Allston had written it, it would have been a fantastic ending to a fantastic series.  Instead, it was flat and boring, and I found myself just wishing it was over already.  Boba Fett's backstabbing of Jaina made no sense, and the gene-bombing of Mandalore, while in theory an interesting and dramatic idea, was implemented as sort of an offhand "take that" against Traviss, to try and kill off most of her characters. (End Spoilers)

It also doesn't help that Denning, among many others (including The Clone Wars' writers), continues the trend of overpowering all Force-users, de-humanizing them and making them uninteresting.  This and this alone is why the Prequel Trilogy and all related media are disliked among OT fans; in the original trilogy and the books written immediately afterward, the Jedi were balanced and relatable.  Yes, they were superheroes with awesome Force powers, but they were still equals with non-Jedi like Han Solo and Wedge Antilles.  They were powerful, but they could be outsmarted or outgunned, they were vulnerable in more than an Informed Flaw manner.  Traviss and Zahn both know how to write stories in which Jedi mess up in mundane ways, and are flawed beings like anyone else.  In a Traviss or Zahn book, a non-Jedi has a fair shot at beating a Jedi or a Dark Jedi or a Sith.  In Denning's books and others like him, that scenario is not only impossible, but patently rediculous.  It's a total change in the way the Jedi and the Force are treated; the Force has simply become too important and prominent.  This style of writing turns the vast majority of people in the galaxy into redshirts, and it's boring that way.

[/rant] Tongue
Report Spam   Logged

3DS Friend Code: 3625-9584-9417 (Pokemon X Friend Safari: Electric-type, Pachirisu, Electabuzz, Huh?)
Fallen London Profile!
The Truth
Ace RPG Master
Emote Manager
Veteran

MLNO Reputation 100

Awards:

Yes, my Lord.

« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2012, 03:14:47 pm »

I will admit that I hated the Mandalore episodes.

But I do personally prefer Denning's books to Travis's. Maybe just because I prefer the story, not necessarily the characters. Not to say I don't own all of hers as well, and if she wrote any other books I'd buy them in a heartbeat. Tongue
Report Spam   Logged

SWTOR info:
Flipz
Inventor

MLNO Reputation 2

« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2012, 05:41:15 pm »

Maybe it's because I'm an actor, but I find story without depth and character to be completely unbearable.  Plot is the base of a good story, but without character and depth there's no meat to it, and it becomes indigestible.
Report Spam   Logged

Fallen London Profile!
Ace
Network Striker
Initiate

MLNO Reputation 0

« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2012, 07:45:48 pm »

Quote from: The Truth
I like her books, but not the way she quit because of some minor canon changes. I didn't like the changes either (understatement of the year), but that wasn't reason enough to quit, IMO.

Wow, I must really be out of the loop if I've never heard about this. Does this mean that she will not continue the Republic Commando series?

Well, while I'm waiting to order the next Legacy of the Force novel, I'm reading Allegiance by Timothy Zhan. I always enjoy stories that delve deeper into characters typically overshadowed by the likes of Vader and Yoda (in this case, it's about a group of stormtroopers who desert the Empire after being forced to massacre a village "suspected" of being Rebel sympathizers).
Report Spam   Logged

The Truth
Ace RPG Master
Emote Manager
Veteran

MLNO Reputation 100

Awards:

Yes, my Lord.

« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2012, 09:57:19 pm »

You mean Imperial Commando. Republic Commando ended with the Order 66 novel.
And yes, she will not be writing the second Imperial Commando novel.

I should reread Legacy of the Force...not as good as Fate of the Jedi, but I did like it...
Report Spam   Logged

SWTOR info:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

LEGO® is a trademark of the LEGO Group, which does not sponsor, authorize or endorse this site.
Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum