News Box
WELCOME TO MLNO!!! ... ENJOY YOUR TIME HERE! ... WHILE YOU ARE HERE, CHECK OUT OUR RPGS!
My LEGO Nexus Organization
April 18, 2024, 09:49:23 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to My Lego Nexus Organization! A LEGO Universe, LEGO and My LEGO Network Fan Site! The LEGO Company does not sponsor, authorize, or endorse this site.-- New? Check out the welcome forum and get started! Got questions? PM Blade, or one of the other active members of the staff.

Home   Forum   Help Arcade Gallery Rules The MOC Corner Staff List Login Register Chat  

Why Apple Suing Android Is A Bad Joke

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Why Apple Suing Android Is A Bad Joke  (Read 608 times)
mtmerrick
RS Leader
Old Timer

MLNO Reputation 10

Awards:
Team: No Team
Purpose: Rebuild

Living in the future, today.

Badges: (View All)
Fifth Year Anniversary 100 Posts in one day Search
« on: July 25, 2012, 05:16:13 pm »

Apple has been using this image as a summary of their lawsuits against Samsung.
Their end goal? Ban all Samsung android devices and amass millions of dollars in "damages"

Convincing, right?

Its total B-S.

Thank you to the man who made this, for making an image that kicks Apple right where this hurts.

And remember, in the immortal words of Steve Jobs:

Quote from: Steve Jobs, 1994
"Picasso had a saying: 'Good artists copy, great artists steal.' We have always been shameless about stealing great ideas."

Share this with everyone you know who is an Apple sympathizer in the Android vs iOS wars.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2012, 06:26:30 pm by mtmerrick » Report Spam   Logged

Talk To Me          Quote Archive
I've got no place to go, I've got nowhere to run.
They love to watch me fall, they think they know it all.
I'm a nightmare, a disaster, that's what they always said.
I'm a lost cause, not a hero, but I'll make it on my own.
I've gotta prove them wrong - It's me against the world.
It is, in the end, whatever the **** I want it to be.
And when I'm through with it, it's gonna blow a hole this wide
straight through the worlds own idea of itself.
Come on, lets go break their arms.
Canama
Craftsman

MLNO Reputation 0

Purpose: I dunno.

Tenth Year Anniversary Level 6 Ninth Year Anniversary
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2012, 02:11:36 pm »

You're oversimplifying the issue. It is not about "oh noes apple is literally satan", it's about patent laws being a massive cluster...thing.

In the tech sector, everybody is suing everybody right now, and most companies are giving as good as they get.

Here's a (simplified!) diagram on the subject, published in Digital Trends on the 18th. As you can see, the entire thing is so complex that it's not even legible. You're oversimplifying the issue.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2012, 02:15:18 pm by Canama » Report Spam   Logged
mtmerrick
RS Leader
Old Timer

MLNO Reputation 10

Awards:

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2012, 07:38:36 pm »

A much more accurate infograph. A little outdated (from may), but its only gotten worse since then, for manufacturers at least.

« Last Edit: July 26, 2012, 10:53:26 pm by mtmerrick » Report Spam   Logged

MsRowdyRedhead
Sage Mentor......... (renowned for profound wisdom)
A - MLNO Featured Admin of '08
Exciting Poster

MLNO Reputation 100

Awards:
Purpose: Harmony

The forum can't be the same without our friends.

Tenth Year Anniversary Ninth Year Anniversary Eighth Year Anniversary
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2012, 07:55:49 pm »

I see.. it's all so clear now.
Report Spam   Logged

The dream is free.. the work to achieve it is sold separately.
OOC: An OOC expression of horror would confirm your humanity nicely. Wink
MLNO.  The only forum I know where expressions like the one above are commonplace. Tongue
Everyone is frustrating in their own special way.
"Right is right, even if everyone is against it. Wrong is wrong, even if everyone is for it." ♥
"If you're not havin a good day, change your mind!!"
Obi
Outstanding MLNO Trader
Artisan

MLNO Reputation 2

Purpose: Finish my awful college apps

Eighth Year Anniversary Seventh Year Anniversary Level 6
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2012, 12:58:09 am »

Well, uh....

April 2005, ROKR E1 released, a collaboration between Apple and Motorola (The first phone in your second image). That same year, Apple began work on it's first solid idea of the iPhone. Rewind to 2003, Apple admits to testing mobile touchscreen devices. Rewind further to 2001. Cisco, owner of the iPhone trademark, is approached by Apple.

Also, the text below the second image is not really an argument. A better camera, better cell service, and lighter weight are not exactly revolutionary ideas. And yes, 4 months are a short amount of time to clone a smartphone, leaving the possibility that Apple actually created the iPhone itself.

Also, released files of the iPad CAD prototype designs. From 2004 I believe. There was also the MessagePad from 1993, but somehow no one seems to count that...

Just sharing my view of things. Am I an Apple fan? Yes. Do I hate Android? No. I just prefer Apple because I enjoy lack of fragmentation and the integration. Trust me, when it's 3 A.M. and you're finding errors in files you've written and rewritten, the last thing you want to think about whether or not all your files are synced on your computer's hard drive, your home server, and your phone, or whether or not you backed it all up.

EDIT: Stupid typos.
Report Spam   Logged
mtmerrick
RS Leader
Old Timer

MLNO Reputation 10

Awards:

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2012, 04:56:24 pm »

lets just pick that post apart.....

April 2005, ROKR E1 released, a collaboration between Apple and Motorola (The first phone in your second image). That same year, Apple began work on it's first solid idea of the iPhone.
genuine curiosity here, i never heard that, can you give a source?

Rewind to 2003, Apple admits to testing mobile touchscreen devices.
mobile touchscreen devices already existed in 2003.

Rewind further to 2001. Cisco, owner of the iPhone trademark, is approached by Apple.
considering apple already had the iMac, that is not unusual. (and i never understood why its a MacBook, not an iBook....) also, the date of a name being investigated does not mean anything.

Also, the text below the second image is not really an argument. A better camera, better cell service, and lighter weight are not exactly revolutionary ideas. And yes, 4 months are a short amount of time to clone a smartphone, leaving the possibility that Apple actually created the iPhone itself.
look at the Samsung shown in that image, look at the LG Prada KE850: both of these predate the iPhone. now, yes, its plenty possible that apple came up with the iPhone on their own, but at no point is the iPhone novel, unique, groundbreaking, or should be allowed to sue over "they're copying me!" when apple WAS NOT FIRST.

http://cdn0.sbnation.com/entry_photo_images/4809346/2012-07-26VERGE_gallery_post.jpg
Also, released files of the iPad CAD prototype designs. From 2004 I believe. There was also the MessagePad from 1993, but somehow no one seems to count that...
bill gates introduced the windows tablet computer in 2002. so that says apple was playing catchup (like they have a habit of doing), not innovating. as for the MessagePad, well, that wasn't the first in its field either.

I just prefer Apple because I enjoy lack of fragmentation and the integration.
fragmentation is a joke. all the same arguments against android fragmentation can be applied to iOS, windows, even OSX. and google service integration is pretty equal to apple's integration.

Trust me, when it's 3 A.M. and you're finding errors in files you've written and rewritten, the last thing you want to think about whether or not all your files are synced on your computer's hard drive, your home server, and your phone, or whether or not you backed it all up.
Android does not have issues with file errors. whoever todl you that is full of carp.
also, android autosyncs your books, music, and videos. any other files can be synced effortlessly by using google drive.
Report Spam   Logged

Obi
Outstanding MLNO Trader
Artisan

MLNO Reputation 2

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2012, 04:24:12 pm »

lets just pick that post apart.....

April 2005, ROKR E1 released, a collaboration between Apple and Motorola (The first phone in your second image). That same year, Apple began work on it's first solid idea of the iPhone.
genuine curiosity here, i never heard that, can you give a source?

http://reviews.cnet.com/smartphones/motorola-rokr-e1-at/4505-6452_7-31515635.html
Take a peek. First cell phone ever to play music from iTunes. Not a great phone (It actually is pretty bad), but its a step in the right direction.

Rewind to 2003, Apple admits to testing mobile touchscreen devices.
mobile touchscreen devices already existed in 2003.

How right you are!

Not exactly iPhone like though...

Rewind further to 2001. Cisco, owner of the iPhone trademark, is approached by Apple.
considering apple already had the iMac, that is not unusual. (and i never understood why its a MacBook, not an iBook....) also, the date of a name being investigated does not mean anything.

It means they were thinking about it. Planning to make a device. And you have to admit, Apple doesn't make cheap stuff, so it would have had to be more than decent.

And they did make an iBook laptop, form 1996 to 2006.

look at the Samsung shown in that image, look at the LG Prada KE850: both of these predate the iPhone. now, yes, its plenty possible that apple came up with the iPhone on their own, but at no point is the iPhone novel, unique, groundbreaking, or should be allowed to sue over "they're copying me!" when apple WAS NOT FIRST.
The samsung shown in the image? Fun fact: It was just dismissed as not relevant in the case.

http://cdn0.sbnation.com/entry_photo_images/4809346/2012-07-26VERGE_gallery_post.jpg
bill gates introduced the windows tablet computer in 2002. so that says apple was playing catchup (like they have a habit of doing), not innovating. as for the MessagePad, well, that wasn't the first in its field either.

The Microsoft Tablet PC? That had a keyboard. And a stylus. It's was pretty much a laptop that let the screen spin 180 degrees, fold down, and be a slate. Not even a tablet. Plus, it ran XP. It was even described by Microsoft as a "Fully functional PC." Not a real tablet.

I just prefer Apple because I enjoy lack of fragmentation and the integration.
fragmentation is a joke. all the same arguments against android fragmentation can be applied to iOS, windows, even OSX. and google service integration is pretty equal to apple's integration.
Well with all the different screen sizes and specs, app preformance can vary. A lot.
And yeah google has integration except.... Google's desktop OS is really just a browser. It doesn't sync with Reminders and Calendar on my Mac easily. Can it be done? Yeah, but I got 99 problems and integration ain't one.

Trust me, when it's 3 A.M. and you're finding errors in files you've written and rewritten, the last thing you want to think about whether or not all your files are synced on your computer's hard drive, your home server, and your phone, or whether or not you backed it all up.
Android does not have issues with file errors. whoever todl you that is full of carp.
also, android autosyncs your books, music, and videos. any other files can be synced effortlessly by using google drive.
Not file errors in android's OS, I was providing an example. I'm do freelance programming when I'm not busy with school (which unfortunately, starts tomorrow so I'm pretty much done with that until winter break).
And I don't want it on google drive, I want it on my drive. My personal server. I prefer dropbox, since it syncs a folder rather than files.
Report Spam   Logged
mtmerrick
RS Leader
Old Timer

MLNO Reputation 10

Awards:

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2012, 05:44:21 pm »

http://reviews.cnet.com/smartphones/motorola-rokr-e1-at/4505-6452_7-31515635.html
Take a peek. First cell phone ever to play music from iTunes. Not a great phone (It actually is pretty bad), but its a step in the right direction.

considering I've mentioned that phone, i already knew of its existence. =P what i wanted evidence of was "That same year, Apple began work on it's first solid idea of the iPhone."

It means they were thinking about it. Planning to make a device. And you have to admit, Apple doesn't make cheap stuff, so it would have had to be more than decent.
never said it wouldn't be decent build quality: however, since when has brainstorming ideas for a project been the same as having an actual device?

And they did make an iBook laptop, form 1996 to 2006.
ah, ok. =P iBook still fits better with their naming scheme than Macbook, IMHO, wouldn't be surprised if they brought the name back.

The Microsoft Tablet PC? That had a keyboard. And a stylus. It's was pretty much a laptop that let the screen spin 180 degrees, fold down, and be a slate. Not even a tablet. Plus, it ran XP. It was even described by Microsoft as a "Fully functional PC." Not a real tablet.
while the original Tablet PC shown off by microsoft did have a keyboard, many microsoft tablets made shortly thereafter did not.
what does the OS have to do with anything?
and i know many people who prefer to use their iPads with a stylus. does use of an accessory make it "not a tablet"?
and many people consider their iPads to be "Fully Functional PCs" - to the point they've replaced their home computer with one. does that make it "not a tablet"?

The samsung shown in the image? Fun fact: It was just dismissed as not relevant in the case.
I'm aware of that. However, this judge has declared many things "irrelevant" that any sane person would consider relevant to the case.

Well with all the different screen sizes and specs, app preformance can vary. A lot.
i can say the same thing about windows computers, or even macs. hell, i can say the same thing about iPhones, considering there are different models with different CPUs and different screen resolutions.

And yeah google has integration except.... Google's desktop OS is really just a browser. It doesn't sync with Reminders and Calendar on my Mac easily. Can it be done? Yeah, but I got 99 problems and integration ain't one.

a) we're not discussing Chrome OS here. its a POS and everyone knows it. its a proof of concept that somehow made it into the marketplace. Android is a more competent desktop OS.

b) actually it can.

c) what would your other problems with android be?

Not file errors in android's OS, I was providing an example. I'm do freelance programming when I'm not busy with school (which unfortunately, starts tomorrow so I'm pretty much done with that until winter break).
And I don't want it on google drive, I want it on my drive. My personal server. I prefer dropbox, since it syncs a folder rather than files.
and not sure what your hobby has to do with android's file system, but... https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.dropbox.android&hl=en
Report Spam   Logged

Obi
Outstanding MLNO Trader
Artisan

MLNO Reputation 2

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2012, 10:43:33 pm »

Ehhh.... not in the mood to quote haha hope you don't mind. =P

1. Sorry, I can't find the article I read the other day... here's a not as convincing one
http://www.cultofmac.com/181339/this-is-what-the-original-iphone-4-prototype-looked-like-way-back-in-2006/

3. Ehh... it's been around so long it kind of has an old connotation. Plus, their line of computers is Macs so that's why.

4. This could just be me personally, but I don't consider a tablet like a the Microsoft Tablet on par with the iPad or  Galaxy Tab 10.1 or anything. Not because it can't do as much (it does more), but because its not really a mobile device. The point of a modern tablet is to be mobile.

5. Eh, I wouldn't exactly call that relevant. The OS looks more like Windows Phone, though we're talking about physical design aspects. Personally, I wouldn't even compare them, since I still believe the iPhone was first. Not first smart phone, but first of its kind.

6. Uhh...
My phone's processor: 1 GHz dual core
Tegra 3 processor: 1.4 (?) GHz quad core
My iMac's processor: 2.7 Ghz quad core
My server's processor: 3.4 Ghz quad core

The desktops have way more power, and have been around longer. They've gotten all the bugs about different screen sizes worked out.

And the iPhone and iPod Touch have the same screen resolution, except the newer models have it doubled on the horizontal and vertical axis... so just double all the graphics. No stretching or anything. Same with the iPad.

a). I'll agree with you there.
b). Not as easily as my existing setup. Look, if I wanted to get it working, I could. But frankly, I'm not a fan of solving problems I can easily avoid.
c). We talking about Android or Samsung phones? Seems we got on a tangent, but I'll talk. I don't hate Android OS. I haven't even used the word Android but twice until this post (Now at five, seven if you count all of them). The resemblance's between the two OSs (Android and iOS) are few. They both have apps on the screen and a dock-type thing at the bottom, but that's been around longer than both of these operating systems. In fact, I rather like it. It's only the complete package Apple provides (device AND software). If Google released it's own phone (NOT partnering with HTC or another manufacturer, but directly through a manufacturer like Foxconn or whatever it uses) I would look into it.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not hating on Android (and if it appeared that I did, I didn't mean it). I'm hating on Samsung. And yes, though they make displays for a lot and iOS devices (and I have one of their TV's), that's not why. It's because of their cheap mobile devices.

8. Nothing, I was talking about MY files, not Android's. Not even a filesystem (well, an OS filesystem). Just files for my programs and scripts.

EDIT: Also, Apple just won the trial, and Samsung was hit with a $1.049 billion whopper.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2012, 08:28:43 pm by Obi » Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

LEGO® is a trademark of the LEGO Group, which does not sponsor, authorize or endorse this site.
Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum