News Box
WELCOME TO MLNO!!! ... ENJOY YOUR TIME HERE! ... WHILE YOU ARE HERE, CHECK OUT OUR RPGS!
My LEGO Nexus Organization
March 28, 2024, 09:27:47 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to My Lego Nexus Organization! A LEGO Universe, LEGO and My LEGO Network Fan Site! The LEGO Company does not sponsor, authorize, or endorse this site.-- New? Check out the welcome forum and get started! Got questions? PM Blade, or one of the other active members of the staff.

Home   Forum   Help Arcade Gallery Rules The MOC Corner Staff List Login Register Chat  

DISNEY TO ACQUIRE LUCASFILM LTD.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: DISNEY TO ACQUIRE LUCASFILM LTD.  (Read 1246 times)
MsRowdyRedhead
Sage Mentor......... (renowned for profound wisdom)
A - MLNO Featured Admin of '08
Exciting Poster

MLNO Reputation 100

Awards:
Team: No Team
Purpose: Harmony

The forum can't be the same without our friends.

Badges: (View All)
Tenth Year Anniversary Ninth Year Anniversary Eighth Year Anniversary
« on: October 30, 2012, 11:15:39 pm »

Great news! The Force is coming to Disney!

Bob Iger just announced that The Walt Disney Company is acquiring Lucasfilm – the global entertainment company founded by George Lucas and the home of the legendary Star Wars franchise. In addition to getting the rights to one of the greatest family franchises and epic stories of all time, Disney is also acquiring all of Lucasfilm’s operating businesses – including Industrial Light and Magic and Skywalker Sound.

Did you know? The Star Wars universe now has more than 17,000 characters inhabiting several thousand planets spanning 20,000 years. This gives Disney infinite inspiration and opportunities to continue the epic Star Wars saga. Fans can expect a new feature film, Star Wars Episode 7, in theaters worldwide in 2015. George Lucas will serve as creative consultant on the film and Kathleen Kennedy, the filmmaker George handpicked to lead Star Wars, Indiana Jones and the rest of Lucasfilm into the future will be the executive producer (she’s also joining Disney as president of Lucasfilm). With this many characters to develop and stories to tell, Disney plans to release a new Star Wars feature film every two or three years for the foreseeable future.

We’ve actually had a great working relationship with Lucasfilm for years -- with Star Wars and Indiana Jones themed attractions in our parks in Anaheim, Orlando, Paris and Tokyo. So, we’re starting with a strong foundation and compatible brands – and the addition of Lucasfilm Ltd. will support our growth strategy and create even more opportunity for Disney to create incredible entertainment and drive significant long-term value for our shareholders.

You can find more information about Disney’s exciting acquisition of Lucasfilm here.
http://thewaltdisneycompany.com/disney-news/press-releases/2012/10/disney-acquire-lucasfilm-ltd

https://thewaltdisneycompany.com/blog/disney-acquire-lucasfilm

« Last Edit: October 31, 2012, 12:27:09 am by MsRowdyRedhead » Report Spam   Logged

The dream is free.. the work to achieve it is sold separately.
OOC: An OOC expression of horror would confirm your humanity nicely. Wink
MLNO.  The only forum I know where expressions like the one above are commonplace. Tongue
Everyone is frustrating in their own special way.
"Right is right, even if everyone is against it. Wrong is wrong, even if everyone is for it." ♥
"If you're not havin a good day, change your mind!!"
The Host
Raven Shredder
Craftsman

MLNO Reputation 3

Purpose: Troll the Forums, Watch and Listen

Nation Dex Complete: 713 Owned

Fifth Year Anniversary Level 5 Windows User
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2012, 11:25:40 pm »

as long as episode 7 doesn't include jar jar binks i'll be happy. and so long as Lego and Disney work out the licensing of SW products (which should be fine thanks to already having licensing deals) all will be well in the world.
Report Spam   Logged

Not being able to speak is not the same as not having anything to say

And in the end we lie awake and we dream of making our escape
MsRowdyRedhead
Exciting Poster

MLNO Reputation 100

Awards:

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2012, 12:26:44 am »

My response...

Report Spam   Logged

MLNO.  The only forum I know where expressions like the one above are commonplace. Tongue
"Right is right, even if everyone is against it. Wrong is wrong, even if everyone is for it." ♥
The Host
Raven Shredder
Craftsman

MLNO Reputation 3

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2012, 08:51:16 am »

what's so bad about disney acquiring Lucasfilm? it's not like disney doesn't produce quality movies. The marvel stuff has been pretty good, and they can't really do any worse than JarJar. If anything, with Lucas out of the way the movies should be better overseen than in the past.
Report Spam   Logged

Blade
Lightning Girl
A - Azure Striker
Crimson Apple Masterpiece Built!

MLNO Reputation 100

Awards:
Team: Network Strikers
Purpose: To stay DETERMINED

Bird... GO!

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2012, 09:00:21 am »

^ Lucas is creative consultant. =P
Report Spam   Logged

I'm a girl - I'm a lesbian.

-==Blade's Story Library==-
-==Blade's RPG Library==-
A fresh start for the signature, aside for the libraries.

Blade is laughing ominously RUN FOR YOUR LIVES!!!
The forum is a girl? 0_o
I imagine new people coming to the forum expecting to see discussion about LEGO, only to see RPGs full of deranged characters and insane people talking about cheese and brains.
I'm beet. I don't think I'll do homework tonight.
So, you're a vegetable? Tongue
Trijhak
MLN Quester
Old Timer

MLNO Reputation 1

Awards:
Purpose: I don't know.

Personal Text Goes Here

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2012, 03:23:13 pm »

My response to the 'EPISODE VII' thing?

NOOOOOOOO

Evidently they had not done enough damage...

PREPARE FOR YOUR CHILDHOOD TO BE DESTROYED

ALL OVER AGAIN BECAUSE WE WANT MORE MONEY

Report Spam   Logged

We shall find our way home
MsRowdyRedhead
Exciting Poster

MLNO Reputation 100

Awards:

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2012, 05:15:32 pm »

EXACTLY
Report Spam   Logged

Blade
Lightning Girl
A - Azure Striker
Crimson Apple Masterpiece Built!

MLNO Reputation 100

Awards:
Team: Network Strikers
Purpose: To stay DETERMINED

Bird... GO!

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2012, 05:34:31 pm »

Well; it could be good, if they actually use stuff from the Expanded Universe, and don't disregard any establish canon from there. I'm the kinda optimistic sort, always have been. =P
Report Spam   Logged

I'm a girl - I'm a lesbian.

-==Blade's Story Library==-
-==Blade's RPG Library==-
A fresh start for the signature, aside for the libraries.

Blade is laughing ominously RUN FOR YOUR LIVES!!!
The forum is a girl? 0_o
I imagine new people coming to the forum expecting to see discussion about LEGO, only to see RPGs full of deranged characters and insane people talking about cheese and brains.
I'm beet. I don't think I'll do homework tonight.
So, you're a vegetable? Tongue
The Host
Raven Shredder
Craftsman

MLNO Reputation 3

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2012, 06:41:48 pm »

Yeah but they can shoot down all of his bad ideas- he doesn't have the final say anymore

My response to the 'EPISODE VII' thing?

NOOOOOOOO

Evidently they had not done enough damage...

PREPARE FOR YOUR CHILDHOOD TO BE DESTROYED

ALL OVER AGAIN BECAUSE WE WANT MORE MONEY

Well, why did they make the movies in the first place? to make money. The sad thing is that no matter how good these movies are, everyone is just gonna say that Star Wars and The Empire Strikes Back are better. Honestly, those movies aren't that great, all things considered. The plots are somewhat convoluted and seem too rushed and pieced together. If you take away the fact that they're the originals and compare them with some of the PT, I'm of the belief that Revenge of the Sith is the best movie.

Maybe because I haven't read into the EU stuff I don't mind as much. But as long as there's nothing stupid like Jar Jar or Ewoks everything should fine.
Report Spam   Logged

KnightsFan
MLN Quester
Craftsman

MLNO Reputation 3

Awards:

Level 6 Tenth Year Anniversary Ninth Year Anniversary
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2012, 07:20:18 pm »

Yeah but they can shoot down all of his bad ideas- he doesn't have the final say anymore
That's not necessarily a good thing. Lucas is kind of hit and miss, but studios almost shot down the first Star Wars film as a bad idea.

The problem is that Lucas had a distinct creative style. Even if Disney had the capacity to make good movies, they would be nothing but Disney movies with the name "Star Wars." It's not the same.

what's so bad about disney acquiring Lucasfilm? it's not like disney doesn't produce quality movies. The marvel stuff has been pretty good, and they can't really do any worse than JarJar. If anything, with Lucas out of the way the movies should be better overseen than in the past.
Disney hasn't made anything recently that is both original and good (there are a few exceptions like PotC 1). Every Star Wars film has had a ton of originality, usually good.
Report Spam   Logged
The Host
Raven Shredder
Craftsman

MLNO Reputation 3

« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2012, 08:16:15 pm »

That's not necessarily a good thing. Lucas is kind of hit and miss, but studios almost shot down the first Star Wars film as a bad idea.

The problem is that Lucas had a distinct creative style. Even if Disney had the capacity to make good movies, they would be nothing but Disney movies with the name "Star Wars." It's not the same.
I guess. But if Disney recognizes Lucas' style and is allowed to intervene on stuff (and have their choice of director) then it should be the best of both worlds. I'm not sure if it'll actually play out like that, but I don't want to go out right away and say its a bad thing. As someone who likes RotS a lot, I'll have to wait until the movie's release to make my own judgement call, but i'll be optimistic until then. Having new SW can't be horrible.

Disney hasn't made anything recently that is both original and good (there are a few exceptions like PotC 1). Every Star Wars film has had a ton of originality, usually good.
The problem is that if Disney goes original people will be angered b/c it won't follow EU stuff, and if they follow EU stuff then it won't be original. With Lucasfilm people working with Disney there should be originality as well as a good story.
I hope so, at least...
Report Spam   Logged

KnightsFan
MLN Quester
Craftsman

MLNO Reputation 3

Awards:

« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2012, 08:45:43 pm »

Having new SW can't be horrible.
True. Worst case scenario is I won't see it.

I wasn't talking about original story/plot, I was talking about original filmmaking. I don't care what they put in the movie, as long as they do it well.
Report Spam   Logged
Flipz
Inventor

MLNO Reputation 2

Purpose: Oh, just to hang out occasionally.

Yeah, I have that effect on people.

« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2012, 12:42:17 am »

if they follow EU stuff then it won't be original.

As an actor, writer, and artist, I am compelled to say, this is simply not true.  There is a trememdous amount of creative choice that must be made when adapting a work from one medium to another, even if major elements of the franchise already exist in the destination medium.  Interpretation requires a huge amount of creativity, and too many people forget that.

Now, whether or not it is likely that an adaptation of existing EU media will be sufficiently creative and original to justify the effort is a different debate entirely.  Wink
Report Spam   Logged

3DS Friend Code: 3625-9584-9417 (Pokemon X Friend Safari: Electric-type, Pachirisu, Electabuzz, Huh?)
Fallen London Profile!
Joining through the link on my page earns me coffee.
Welcome, Delicious Friend!
MsRowdyRedhead
Exciting Poster

MLNO Reputation 100

Awards:

« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2012, 02:10:43 am »

Here's the story as told by TVGuide online...
Disney Buys LucasFilm, Slates Star Wars 7 for 2015
Kate Stanhope
Oct 30, 2012 06:40 PM ET
by Kate Stanhope

Mickey Mouse and Luke Skywalker are joining forces.

The Walt Disney Company announced Tuesday that it has purchased LucasFilm — the company behind filmmaker George Lucas' beloved sci-fi franchise Star Wars — for $4.05 billion. As part of the acquisition, Disney announced that a new Star Wars film, the seventh episode in the series, is set to hit theaters in 2015. The film would be the first since Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith came out in 2005, and would chronologically follow 1983's Return of the Jedi.

"For the past 35 years, one of my greatest pleasures has been to see Star Wars passed from one generation to the next," Lucas said in a statement. "It's now time for me to pass Star Wars on to a new generation of filmmakers. I've always believed that Star Wars could live beyond me, and I thought it was important to set up the transition during my lifetime. I'm confident that with Lucasfilm under the leadership of Kathleen Kennedy, and having a new home within the Disney organization, Star Wars will certainly live on and flourish for many generations to come. Disney's reach and experience give Lucasfilm the opportunity to blaze new trails in film, television, interactive media, theme parks, live entertainment, and consumer products."

Catch up on today's latest news

In a conference call with reporters after the announcement, Disney chairman and CEO Robert Iger said the companies "have a pretty extensive treatment of the next three movies," he said, according to Deadline. He said films will definitely be made for Episodes 8 and 9 and that they will come out "every two to three years." In addition, Iger said there is potential for the Star Wars brand to expand in new ways beyond the big screen. "We really like Star Wars' potential on TV, and Disney XD would be a great home for that," Iger also said.

"Lucasfilm reflects the extraordinary passion, vision, and storytelling of its founder, George Lucas," Iger said in a statement. "This transaction combines a world-class portfolio of content including Star Wars, one of the greatest family entertainment franchises of all time, with Disney's unique and unparalleled creativity across multiple platforms, businesses, and markets to generate sustained growth and drive significant long-term value."

It is unclear exactly what Lucas' role in the Star Wars films will be going forward now that he is effectively retiring. He directed the very first installment, A New Hope, in 1977, as well as the three prequel films. He also helped write all six films. In the video below, Lucas says he has written story treatments for Episodes 7, 8 and 9.
Report Spam   Logged

The Host
Raven Shredder
Craftsman

MLNO Reputation 3

« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2012, 12:23:59 pm »

if they follow EU stuff then it won't be original.

As an actor, writer, and artist, I am compelled to say, this is simply not true.  There is a trememdous amount of creative choice that must be made when adapting a work from one medium to another, even if major elements of the franchise already exist in the destination medium.  Interpretation requires a huge amount of creativity, and too many people forget that.

Now, whether or not it is likely that an adaptation of existing EU media will be sufficiently creative and original to justify the effort is a different debate entirely.  Wink
yeah, there will always be the question of "how do we put this on screen", but the fact remains that the EU story is already there, and thus the plot isn't going to be "original" if they follow it. What I was trying to say is that if they follow the EU stuff people will get mad and say that Disney isn't doing any original story stuff; but at the same time if Disney doesn't follow EU stuff then people will get mad because the new, original content will ruin all of what is considered canon. However good these movies are, no one is really giving them a chance to be good.

Report Spam   Logged

Flipz
Inventor

MLNO Reputation 2

Purpose: Oh, just to hang out occasionally.

Yeah, I have that effect on people.

« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2012, 12:55:08 pm »

Relevant video:

Report Spam   Logged

3DS Friend Code: 3625-9584-9417 (Pokemon X Friend Safari: Electric-type, Pachirisu, Electabuzz, Huh?)
Fallen London Profile!
Joining through the link on my page earns me coffee.
Welcome, Delicious Friend!
Jade
Network Striker
Inventor

MLNO Reputation 18

Awards:

..darling I'm a nightmare dressed like a daydream

Seventh Year Anniversary Sixth Year Anniversary Fifth Year Anniversary
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2012, 12:59:37 pm »

I'll have to copy/paste the rant I did on ClubJade about this.... Needless to say, I'm **** off about it. Disney better not screw up the canon like Cartoon Network/Clone Wars did.

Oh, and the Heir to the Empire Trilogy had BETTER be what 7, 8, and 9 are about.
Report Spam   Logged
Ace
Network Striker
Initiate

MLNO Reputation 0

Brevity is the soul of wit.

Sixth Year Anniversary Fifth Year Anniversary Level 5
« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2012, 03:15:16 pm »

I really wonder what the next movies are going to be about. Will they feature the Yuuzhan Vong? Will Jedi be able to marry and have kids, like in the novels and comics? Like Jade said, Cartoon Network's handling of the Clone Wars was abysmal ("New Mandalorians"? What?), but I think Disney won't damage the canon. If they can turn a mouse into one of the most recognizable figures on the planet, I think they can keep Star Wars afloat.
Report Spam   Logged

The Host
Raven Shredder
Craftsman

MLNO Reputation 3

« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2012, 03:24:34 pm »

@Flipz: is that really what you think Disney is gonna do to SW? Disney isn't all kids/childish stuff,in fact, a lot of their stuff has nods towards older fans, and I'm pretty sure that they aren't gonna make SW something targeted at 4-6 year olds. Had this deal not been made there likely would not have been more movies.

@Jade: anything that was made "canon" prior to CW was categorized as EU and thus I'm not sure it ever really was canon. I haven't gone into all that stuff, so I can't really say that for sure, but even if Disney doesn't follow the "EU canon" - so what? As a massive universe with tons of stories and fan-fics and all the other stuff involved, can't people choose their own 'canon' storyline and have it be that way.
As I said above, without Disney there weren't gonna be movies, and thus whatever canon stuff existed on paper would never see the big screen.

Unfortunately, according to Wikipedia (however reliable you choose to believe it is) says that Ep7-9 are gonna be original stories not based on existing material (books graphic novels) that has previously been considered SW canon. Not sure how this will actually play out, but honestly I plan to give it an unbiased opinion going into it.
Report Spam   Logged

KnightsFan
MLN Quester
Craftsman

MLNO Reputation 3

Awards:

« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2012, 03:26:35 pm »

Interestingly, most EU stuff was non-canon at one point. There appears to be an arbitrary line that people draw to say something is "canon" or "not." Just look at how Leia said she remembered her mother in Ep. VI, but obviously couldn't according to Ep. III. So don't worry about canon too much, because it's not like it's consistent anyway. Personally, I hate about 90% of EU anyway.

...and it seems Host said a lot of the same stuff while I was typing...
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

LEGO® is a trademark of the LEGO Group, which does not sponsor, authorize or endorse this site.
Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum