News Box
WELCOME TO MLNO!!! ... ENJOY YOUR TIME HERE! ... WHILE YOU ARE HERE, CHECK OUT OUR RPGS!
My LEGO Nexus Organization
March 28, 2024, 10:12:20 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to My Lego Nexus Organization! A LEGO Universe, LEGO and My LEGO Network Fan Site! The LEGO Company does not sponsor, authorize, or endorse this site.-- New? Check out the welcome forum and get started! Got questions? PM Blade, or one of the other active members of the staff.

Home   Forum   Help Arcade Gallery Rules The MOC Corner Staff List Login Register Chat  

[OFFICIAL]Guide to MLNO

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [OFFICIAL]Guide to MLNO  (Read 1888 times)
ab§olute_Z3R0
Official SMF Nerd
Artisan

MLNO Reputation 0

Retired Admin -- Member #4

Badges: (View All)
Tenth Year Anniversary Ninth Year Anniversary Eighth Year Anniversary
« on: February 16, 2009, 11:35:16 am »

Welcome to my second My Lego Network Organization guide; this time I'll be showing you around MLNO a bit. In this guide, I will show you a few things about navigating the forum, what each tab does, what different buttons do, and what some things mean.

Now, here's how this guide is going to work. I've incorporated some images in here using the Helios Red style. (I find this style easy on the eyes, especially at night, as well as it looking good (in my opinion, of course!)) So IN the image, next to the ugly green boxes, there is a number in the same color. Below the image are corresponding numbers in numerical order (or going 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, etc) telling about each of the outlined areas.

==Table of Contents==
Pre-Content - Intro and how this works.
A. The Navigation Bar (and other things)
B. Posting
C. The Result of Part B
D. Wrap-Up

A. The Navigation Bar (and other things)

1. The Style Switcher:
The style switcher is how you can customize MLNO by how it looks, only to you. Anyone can use the same style as you, but changing it yourself will not change it for others. By clicking on on of the boxes to the LEFT of the style you want to check out. It will change the look of the forum, but just the colors; no need to worry.

2. The News Box:
The news box contains the current forum status (info can be found in the Forum Help Center board), as well as some important news. There is not much else to say about the news box, but if you want to read something, hover your cursor (or mouse) over the news box where the text is scrolling, and it will pause as long as you keep your mouse in the box.

3. Official Forum Date & Time:
This is our forum's official time, or yours, if you have an offset. The time zone, however, is Central Standard Time (-6 GMT I believe). It also has the date in it.

4. The Navigation Bar:
Here's a quick summary of what each of these buttons do.
Home - Takes you to MLNO's "portal", or homepage.
Forum - Takes you to the Forum home (where you view all of the boards in the forum).
Help - Takes you to a page with help for a few major functions here; I haven't personally used it, but I looked at it.
Search - Allows you to search for members, posts, and topics.
Profile - Takes you to your profile homepage. From here you can edit all sorts of information.
Arcade - Here, you can play games and try for Hi-Scores.
My Messages - When you have a new message, a flashing letter will be there along with a number inside brackets, like this [2]. Also, if you want to send messages, you can do that.
MLN Wiki - This RE-DIRECTS your browser to the MLN Wiki, which is run by us: MLNO. Note: The Wiki is a separate site.
Staff List - This is slightly inaccurate, but this list basically is now used to show who is on what team.
Calendar - You can see important dates here, and some people can add them.
Members - Displays a list of all of the members here at MLNO; you can organize the members by their status (on or offline), username, joined date, posts, and a few other things.
Logout - Pretty self-explanatory: click this to log out. I myself like to stay logged in 24/7, but you don't have to.

B. Posting

This section is devoted to the what you can do when posting a topic or when just posting.

5. Message Icon:
Message Icons appear in the top of your post next to the topic title, and also when you are in the board where the topic is, you can see the message icon. There are various images you can use for the message icon.

6. BBCode:
These various buttons insert code known as BBCode (BulletinBoardCode) into your post. These BBCode 'tags' can cause your text to appear differently, for example, the Italic tags make your text appear like this, Bold, Underline, etc. There are also many other tags which you can experiment with; these are only a few of them which I've shown in text.

7. Smileys:
Smileys can be used to show emotions in posts, for example, if you are joking with someone, you might use the Tongue smiley, or emote. By clicking on the picture of the emote you want, it will insert the code for the smiley, which will appear when you post.

8. Additional Options:
Here, you can choose to lock the topic when you post it, to not use smileys, to notify you when people reply, or return
to the topic when you post instead of going outside the topic to the board you were in. Below what I've outlined, there
is an attachment feature which I'm not going to explain as it's not so important.

C. The result of Part B

9. Topic options:
From here you can do various things, which I'll briefly explain.
Reply - Lets you reply to the topic unless it's locked.
New Topic - Lets your make a topic in the board that you're currently in.
Notify - Notifies you of any replies to the topic you're currently in.
Mark Unread - Marks the topic unread if you want to know to come back to it later or for some other reason.
Send This Topic - Lets you send the topic to a friend via E-mail.
Print - Prints the topic out for you on your printer.

10. Users Viewing:
This shows who is viewing the topic; in this case, I was viewing the topic and no one else.

11. Topic Post Options:
These options allow you to various things to the posts; Quote quotes the post in the reply or quick-reply window;
Modify allows you to edit your post to add things in order to help prevent double posting (Note: You can only
Modify your posts unless you are a moderator.); Remove is for removing a post.

12. Post Profile Information:
I'll briefly explain this, by re-creating it in text:
---- ---- ---- ---- ---- ---- ---- ---- ----
Username
Custom Title (available to important people or given as a reward)
Team position/Forum Rank
Post Rank
*Forum Rank image*

MLNO Rep: Your rep
*Status* Online/Offline status.

MLN Name: Your MLN Name here

*User's Avatar*

Personal Text here.
---- ---- ---- ---- ---- ---- ---- ---- ----

13. Reporting:
Use these two buttons to report a post which may contain spam or other rule-breaking content, and the moderators will take care of it.
By clicking these buttons you are NOT a tattle-tale. No one but the moderators know who reported the post, and they will keep that private.

14. Signatures:
A signature is a custom area inside the post, at the bottom. You can put text or images in your signature, quotes from members, and various other things; be creative!

15. Contact:
You can use these buttons to contact the member through various different methods, such as E-mail, Instant Messaging, and Personal Messaging via here: MLNO.

D. Wrap-Up

This concludes my guide to MLNO. I hope this guide has helped you. Any questions can be posted here or PMed to me. Comments? Liked my guide? Want me to make another about a different topic? Let me know! I'll get on it if I can.

Regards & good luck,
Ab§olute_Z3R0,
Ex-Admin, LEGO Expert & Old Timer
Report Spam   Logged

Minecraft.Roblox.C#.Spotify.reddit.Steam
Legodac
Failed
X Banned Members
Inventor

MLNO Reputation -10

Awards:
Team: No Team
Purpose: Well, to bring you Lego news Camera  my own Lego Store, then perhaps being the 9th Lego Pro, then if there is enough money, I may bring Stanley Home

AND ONE BOWL OF VEGGIE BEEF SOUP, TO FEED THEM ALL

Level 5 Fourth Year Anniversary Combination
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2009, 05:13:56 pm »

Very well done Sir, thankyou very much and yes I do have another help us please idea for you.
   I'm sure there are a few of us who would love to know how you pull off the magic with your signature.
   Like a step by step guide beginning with re-creating our avatars and various paint magic (I have microsoft paint)
I'm still trying to figure it out. Thanks again, great guide
« Last Edit: February 16, 2009, 05:15:24 pm by legodac » Report Spam   Logged

From Frostburgh they came,           the clones of the cold, through the tunnel in the frame,            to a tower so old
clic this eh http://s681.photobucket.com/albums/vv176/legodac/?start=all
Blade
Lightning Girl
A - Azure Striker
Crimson Apple Masterpiece Built!

MLNO Reputation 100

Awards:
Team: Network Strikers
Purpose: To stay DETERMINED

Bird... GO!

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2009, 05:16:52 pm »

Here's one suggestion for making Awesome Avvies and banners... Unless you have Windows 7 for the awesome-sauce paint it has... Ditch paint and get either Photoshop, or one of the other free alternatives like The GIMP Wink Those have tons more options, like transparency and such.
Report Spam   Logged

I'm a girl - I'm a lesbian.

-==Blade's Story Library==-
-==Blade's RPG Library==-
A fresh start for the signature, aside for the libraries.

Blade is laughing ominously RUN FOR YOUR LIVES!!!
The forum is a girl? 0_o
I imagine new people coming to the forum expecting to see discussion about LEGO, only to see RPGs full of deranged characters and insane people talking about cheese and brains.
I'm beet. I don't think I'll do homework tonight.
So, you're a vegetable? Tongue
ab§olute_Z3R0
Official SMF Nerd
Artisan

MLNO Reputation 0

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2009, 07:56:00 pm »

Here's one suggestion for making Awesome Avvies and banners... Unless you have Windows 7 for the awesome-sauce paint it has... Ditch paint and get either Photoshop, or one of the other free alternatives like The GIMP Wink Those have tons more options, like transparency and such.

You can make some pretty neat things with Paint, and I hear Paint.NET is better. I'll get on a guide for making sigs.
Report Spam   Logged

(=Nemesis=)
Journeyman

MLNO Reputation 0

Level 4 Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2009, 04:51:59 am »

Paint.NET is probably the best free one for Windows, although... I've only ever seen a couple of screenshots.

Nice guide, well done.

Only thing is - I appear to be missing box 3.
Report Spam   Logged

(=Nemesis=) ><>
Hansolo996
Craftsman

MLNO Reputation 0

I have returned!

Combination Topic Starter Poll Starter
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2009, 09:53:14 am »

very well done. However... you failed to explain the awards... I don't get those.
Report Spam   Logged

1st place in KF's Contest #2: MLN Art

MLN name = HanSolo996
ROBLOX Name = HanSolo996
BZP name = HanSolo996
And I > You. cool
Jade
Network Striker
Inventor

MLNO Reputation 18

Awards:

..darling I'm a nightmare dressed like a daydream

Seventh Year Anniversary Sixth Year Anniversary Fifth Year Anniversary
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2009, 12:50:22 pm »

Nicely done!
Report Spam   Logged
Dudebot5000

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2009, 02:45:05 pm »

very well done. However... you failed to explain the awards... I don't get those.

The awards are given by the admins for various reasons. Primarly, they're given to the Featured Member of the Month award. There were also holiday ones for those who changed their name to something holiday-themed. Smiley
Report Spam   Logged
lionytai
Outstanding MLNO Trader
Inventor

MLNO Reputation 3

Awards:

Tenth Year Anniversary Ninth Year Anniversary Level 6
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2009, 11:47:26 pm »

my friends could use some helo from here! nice job
Report Spam   Logged

Why does the programmer always get Halloween and Christmas mixed up?
Oct 31 == Dec 25
Hansolo996
Craftsman

MLNO Reputation 0

I have returned!

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2009, 01:54:02 pm »

The awards are given by the admins for various reasons. Primarly, they're given to the Featured Member of the Month award. There were also holiday ones for those who changed their name to something holiday-themed. Smiley
ahhh.... ok. So how exactly do you become the featured member?
Report Spam   Logged

MLN name = HanSolo996
ROBLOX Name = HanSolo996
BZP name = HanSolo996
And I > You. cool
Blade
Lightning Girl
A - Azure Striker

MLNO Reputation 100

Awards:

Bird... GO!

« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2009, 02:01:40 pm »

Being nominated, and then being voted the winner. You can't nominate yourself, among other rules in the topics.
Report Spam   Logged

The forum is a girl? 0_o
I imagine new people coming to the forum expecting to see discussion about LEGO, only to see RPGs full of deranged characters and insane people talking about cheese and brains.
Hansolo996
Craftsman

MLNO Reputation 0

I have returned!

« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2009, 02:02:54 pm »

Being nominated, and then being voted the winner. You can't nominate yourself, among other rules in the topics.
Oh. i see. Umm.... my post count isn't going up any?
Report Spam   Logged

MLN name = HanSolo996
ROBLOX Name = HanSolo996
BZP name = HanSolo996
And I > You. cool
Blade
Lightning Girl
A - Azure Striker

MLNO Reputation 100

Awards:

Bird... GO!

« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2009, 02:12:16 pm »

You're not posting in post counting forums then.
Report Spam   Logged

The forum is a girl? 0_o
ab§olute_Z3R0
Official SMF Nerd
Artisan

MLNO Reputation 0

« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2009, 11:51:38 am »

I'll add that into the guide. Wink
Report Spam   Logged

Legodac
Failed
X Banned Members
Inventor

MLNO Reputation -10

Awards:
Purpose: Well, to bring you Lego news Camera  my own Lego Store, then perhaps being the 9th Lego Pro, then if there is enough money, I may bring Stanley Home

AND ONE BOWL OF VEGGIE BEEF SOUP, TO FEED THEM ALL

Level 5 Fourth Year Anniversary Combination
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2009, 12:12:49 pm »

This seems like the best place to ask a question about advertising MLNO in the MLN. First part of my question is it alright by MLNO moderators and admin's to tell people about the MLNO in the MLN. Second part is do you think the MLN moderators would allow it? This popped into my mind when I was on my MLN page, checking my mail and doing a little surfing and clicking. One of the mails was someone removing themselves from my friendlist (actually unapproved friendlist). When this happens I always check out their page. In this case, the kid had an LU Creation Lab Mod on his page. I left a nice comment and a 5 star rating (everybody gets 5 stars from me, and that's only because they're builders of LEGO, need I say more). While I was leaving my comment it occurred to me to say a little something about the MLNO and we could be friends there. I didn't, for two reasons, both detailed above.
Report Spam   Logged

From Frostburgh they came,           the clones of the cold, through the tunnel in the frame,            to a tower so old
clic this eh http://s681.photobucket.com/albums/vv176/legodac/?start=all
Blade
Lightning Girl
A - Azure Striker

MLNO Reputation 100

Awards:

Bird... GO!

« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2009, 12:47:13 pm »

I say it would be fine, and the Mods might allow it... They've allowed MLNTeam comments before. But only mentioning in passing if you can. Also, maybe if you use black text, could you add a glow tag with a different colour(
Code:
[glow=red,2,300][/glow]
Like that, just edit the red to your preferred colour, it'll add a border or box around the text so people don't have to highlight it every time you post =)
Report Spam   Logged

The forum is a girl? 0_o
MasterBuilder

MLNO Reputation 0

Call me Wagner

Level 5 Fourth Year Anniversary Search
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2009, 12:56:36 pm »

Very well done Sir, thankyou very much and yes I do have another help us please idea for you.
   I'm sure there are a few of us who would love to know how you pull off the magic with your signature.
   Like a step by step guide beginning with re-creating our avatars and various paint magic (I have microsoft paint)

u could visit sig shops.
Report Spam   Logged
KnightsFan
MLN Quester
Craftsman

MLNO Reputation 3

Awards:

Level 6 Tenth Year Anniversary Ninth Year Anniversary
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2009, 05:15:47 pm »

Hey Ab-Z, how would you like it if I made a banner/avvie tutorial? Because of this and someone asking me via PM.

|< |=
Report Spam   Logged
ab§olute_Z3R0
Official SMF Nerd
Artisan

MLNO Reputation 0

« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2009, 09:49:28 pm »

Sure KF. I may end up having a "Guides and Tutorials" forum made. >_<

If you need help on writing up any parts or want me to look over them, I'd do that for you.
Report Spam   Logged

KnightsFan
MLN Quester
Craftsman

MLNO Reputation 3

Awards:

Level 6 Tenth Year Anniversary Ninth Year Anniversary
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2009, 08:12:35 pm »

I'll make one and PM it to you.

|< |=
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

LEGO® is a trademark of the LEGO Group, which does not sponsor, authorize or endorse this site.
Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum