News Box
WELCOME TO MLNO!!! ... ENJOY YOUR TIME HERE! ... WHILE YOU ARE HERE, CHECK OUT OUR RPGS!
My LEGO Nexus Organization
March 29, 2024, 12:27:56 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Guests: Please register and look around! Tell your friends. Registration is instant, but you'll have to wait for an active admin to get online to approve your account, which should take less than 24 hours.  If you do not receive your approval email, just try to login. We are having issues with the automated email system.

Home   Forum   Help Arcade Gallery Rules The MOC Corner Staff List Login Register Chat  

Home Economics and Shop Class

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Home Economics and Shop Class  (Read 1521 times)
Legodac
Failed
X Banned Members
Inventor

MLNO Reputation -10

Awards:
Team: No Team
Purpose: Well, to bring you Lego news Camera  my own Lego Store, then perhaps being the 9th Lego Pro, then if there is enough money, I may bring Stanley Home

AND ONE BOWL OF VEGGIE BEEF SOUP, TO FEED THEM ALL

Badges: (View All)
Level 5 Fourth Year Anniversary Combination
« on: September 19, 2009, 06:28:19 am »

I'd like to think I am one here, who is qualified enough to help out with any Shop questions you have.
My credentials are as follows:
Licenced Electrician
A-Z class driver's licensed
3rd year registered apprentice as a High Voltage Lineman
2nd year registered apprentice Truck and Coach Technician
Level 4/5 Wreckmaster degree
Diploma awarded "Vehicle Extrication Training for Intermediate and Advanced Training Skills level" from Extrication.com
And really good at carpentry, (my Dad was one)

I also consider myself a pretty good cook, however, I know for a fact, that there is at least one here who has shown us what the definition of culinary delight really means.

So I humbly ask that MsRR join me here to answer your Home Ec questions and your shop questions as well, she's pretty handy eh, in a lot of other areas to long to mention.

Oh, BTW, even if you don't have a question in need of answering, post here what they're teaching in shop and homec these days, I'd love to hear it.
Report Spam   Logged

From Frostburgh they came,           the clones of the cold, through the tunnel in the frame,            to a tower so old
clic this eh http://s681.photobucket.com/albums/vv176/legodac/?start=all
Maplen13
Craftsman

MLNO Reputation 2

Failure isn't something bad, it is your mentor

Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2009, 07:22:48 am »

Ah... yes.. Home Ec. I've really loved that when if I grow up as well. Because I don't want to be a slob, who can't even cook, or fix your home when there's a broken ceiling or pipe leak.

In the school I got to it's called, T.L.E(Technology and Living Education)

For this grading period is... Sewing, in the later parts it goes on to Industrial arts, with Electronics, and wires on your house or if you want to call it with electricity.. and so on..

But the thing I would love is Entrepreneurship, yep, that I am not going to wait as much, because that I want to be doing.
-----------------
But What I would want to ask.. What is the basis of an Electrician/Technician?
Report Spam   Logged
Legodac
Failed
X Banned Members
Inventor

MLNO Reputation -10

Awards:
Purpose: Well, to bring you Lego news Camera  my own Lego Store, then perhaps being the 9th Lego Pro, then if there is enough money, I may bring Stanley Home

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2009, 07:41:35 am »

Ah... yes.. Home Ec. I've really loved that when if I grow up as well. Because I don't want to be a slob, who can't even cook, or fix your home when there's a broken ceiling or pipe leak.

In the school I got to it's called, T.L.E(Technology and Living Education)

For this grading period is... Sewing, in the later parts it goes on to Industrial arts, with Electronics, and wires on your house or if you want to call it with electricity.. and so on..

But the thing I would love is Entrepreneurship, yep, that I am not going to wait as much, because that I want to be doing.
-----------------
But What I would want to ask.. What is the basis of an Electrician/Technician?
Thanks for sharing that, sounds really cool and your attitude to being hands on is most impressive

Before I can answer your question you need to define what you mean by basis
Report Spam   Logged

From Frostburgh they came,           the clones of the cold, through the tunnel in the frame,            to a tower so old
Maplen13
Craftsman

MLNO Reputation 2

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2009, 07:56:52 am »

Hahaa...attitude being hands on... try also to clean your classroom, when it is wooden floor, 34 chairs, and that you have a coconut, broom, and dustpan. Move the chairs, sweep it, put them back, clean the blackboard, then the erasers, take the trash can to the back to be dumped, by yourself in a hot day, after you walked to school.

Well.. I'm trying to work into the thing of Electricity in the household, so if there is anything, if I want to build a house, where to put the wires, the cables, the you-know anything electric, sorry, I'm a failure to my dad, who was an electrician back in the days.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2009, 07:58:58 am by Heliosphere » Report Spam   Logged
Legodac
Failed
X Banned Members
Inventor

MLNO Reputation -10

Awards:

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2009, 08:25:30 am »

Hahaa...attitude being hands on... try also to clean your classroom, when it is wooden floor, 34 chairs, and that you have a coconut, broom, and dustpan. Move the chairs, sweep it, put them back, clean the blackboard, then the erasers, take the trash can to the back to be dumped, by yourself in a hot day, after you walked to school.

Well.. I'm trying to work into the thing of Electricity in the household, so if there is anything, if I want to build a house, where to put the wires, the cables, the you-know anything electric, sorry, I'm a failure to my dad, who was an electrician back in the days.
Things are tough all buddy, so you wish to become my apprentice young Padawan, that is cool, but a really huge undertaking, ok I'm in, first tell me what you know about Alrternating current and how it works to provide us with means to make life easier. Also tell me your level of education, I think you mentioned it somewhere else, can't remember where.
Report Spam   Logged

Maplen13
Craftsman

MLNO Reputation 2

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2009, 08:47:04 am »

Hmm... Alternating Current is the AC right? With the other one the Direct Current, and since the direct Current only goes in one direction with the Alternating Current go back and forth.

So in essence it would make less wires or time? Or that an AC current can be increased or decreased in power? Sorry, just really not good at this, I need to get my T.L.E book.

Um... I'm in High School II year, or 8th grade equivalent in America. But I have many thirst for knowledge with learning stuff fast sometimes.

Also I talked to my mom when I was young.. about that my parents bought a lot in the Philippines next to the shore, and she said it belongs to me and my brother, and I promised(Me bing young at that time with love of building) that I would build a house there. So can carpentry work on going? Because Architecture is what I'm trying to learn as well.

One more thing, have you heard a house made from reinforced concrete, takes a very long time, but it resists a lot of damage, and contains heat saving energy. That's my house. Wink
Report Spam   Logged
Legodac
Failed
X Banned Members
Inventor

MLNO Reputation -10

Awards:

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2009, 09:04:30 am »

Hmm... Alternating Current is the AC right? With the other one the Direct Current, and since the direct Current only goes in one direction with the Alternating Current go back and forth.

So in essence it would make less wires or time? Or that an AC current can be increased or decreased in power? Sorry, just really not good at this, I need to get my T.L.E book.

Um... I'm in High School II year, or 8th grade equivalent in America. But I have many thirst for knowledge with learning stuff fast sometimes.

Also I talked to my mom when I was young.. about that my parents bought a lot in the Philippines next to the shore, and she said it belongs to me and my brother, and I promised(Me bing young at that time with love of building) that I would build a house there. So can carpentry work on going? Because Architecture is what I'm trying to learn as well.

One more thing, have you heard a house made from reinforced concrete, takes a very long time, but it resists a lot of damage, and contains heat saving energy. That's my house. Wink
First I'll say I'm not a fast typer, so forgive my short answers, that's an elecrical joke, short, get it, settle down class, the laughing might upset the class next door. What's a T.L.E book? 

A text book would be a good idea, we would a frame of reference in which to study.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2009, 09:15:50 am by legodacenstein » Report Spam   Logged

Maplen13
Craftsman

MLNO Reputation 2

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2009, 09:14:20 am »

Look at my last post upon my Subject.

Ah yes.. I should get it right now, also can you also teach me carpentry? Really also interested with building a such.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2009, 09:19:11 am by Heliosphere » Report Spam   Logged
Legodac
Failed
X Banned Members
Inventor

MLNO Reputation -10

Awards:

« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2009, 09:21:25 am »

Look at my last post upon my Subject.
Got it, Can you name all or some of the chapters, if the book sounds good I'll buy it and have it shipped to me, so we'll both have one. If there's a chapter on house wiring, describe page one.
Report Spam   Logged

Maplen13
Craftsman

MLNO Reputation 2

« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2009, 09:34:35 am »

sorry, it is in B.E.C or Basic Education Curriculum which doesn't give much, just on the electron theory, the different kinds of Electric Circuits, Electrical sysmbols, tools and equipment, Schematic symbols of electronic components, identifying diagrams, electric project construction.... and this is only the second year book... but none a less I would say that this book wouldn't go anywhere. Carpentry, Carpentry...... sorry, I've just been interested in that. I have so many things to learn.  Cheesy
Report Spam   Logged
Legodac
Failed
X Banned Members
Inventor

MLNO Reputation -10

Awards:

« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2009, 09:45:06 am »

sorry, it is in B.E.C or Basic Education Curriculum which doesn't give much, just on the electron theory, the different kinds of Electric Circuits, Electrical sysmbols, tools and equipment, Schematic symbols of electronic components, identifying diagrams, electric project construction.... and this is only the second year book... but none a less I would say that this book wouldn't go anywhere. Carpentry, Carpentry...... sorry, I've just been interested in that. I have so many things to learn.  Cheesy
Excelent, now I need to know what you have access to in the way of tools and electrical materials so we can get started on your first Electrical Shop project, which I can describe to you in detail, once finished you'll have a better understanding of simple home wiring
Report Spam   Logged

Maplen13
Craftsman

MLNO Reputation 2

« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2009, 09:49:56 am »

Well... my dad was once an electrician or was it technician in the navy, he said, and I could still see him do things that are technical, but those are just new to me.

I could ask my dad about those.. but he come home after he said he would do stuff at some place, and that it is still 11:02 PM, where is he?
Report Spam   Logged
Legodac
Failed
X Banned Members
Inventor

MLNO Reputation -10

Awards:

« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2009, 10:31:35 am »

Here's a project I did back in trade school. Typical household wiring and the symbols used. This is standard practice for an apprentice. But we should begin with a little theory as well, (i'm still trying to find my equation cards)

« Last Edit: September 19, 2009, 10:37:14 am by legodacenstein » Report Spam   Logged

Maplen13
Craftsman

MLNO Reputation 2

« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2009, 10:36:10 am »

Wow.... amazing...

The second one in the bottom, those are Schematics of Electronic Components in the household am I correct? Can you tell me the different components of different symbols? also is there any capacitors?
Report Spam   Logged
Legodac
Failed
X Banned Members
Inventor

MLNO Reputation -10

Awards:

« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2009, 10:45:36 am »

Wow.... amazing...

The second one in the bottom, those are Schematics of Electronic Components in the household am I correct? Can you tell me the different components of different symbols? also is there any capacitors?
S1 denotes a single pole switch, this device turns something on or off
S3 denotes a 3-way swich, allowing you to turn something on or off from 2 different locations
S4 denotes a 4-way switch which allows control from multiple locations, I wonder if the mods can give us a Blackboard?
Report Spam   Logged

Maplen13
Craftsman

MLNO Reputation 2

« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2009, 10:47:54 am »

Ah.. yes... It would be too difficult to put since it is in drawing.

Well there is a chat though that give out well.... A doodle, but I don't think that would be the best idea..
Report Spam   Logged
Legodac
Failed
X Banned Members
Inventor

MLNO Reputation -10

Awards:

« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2009, 08:54:36 am »

This seems like the best place to start, with some notes on safety

Safety
Safety is of utmost importance when working with electricity. Develop safe work habits and stick to them. Be very careful with electricity. It may be invisible, but it can be dangerous if not understood and respected.

1.Safety glasses or goggles should be worn whenever power tools are used, especially if you wear contact lenses.
2.Make sure the power is off at the breaker box before doing any electrical work
3.Always work in a dean, dry area free from anything wet.
4.Wires should only be connected at accessible junction boxes. Never splice wires together and conceal them within a wall without a junction box.
5.Never attempt to strip wires with a knife. Aside from endangering your fingers, you will nick the wire metal, which will create an electrical hazard.
6.Ground fault circuit interrupter outlets should be used under damp conditions (basements, bathrooms, outdoors, etc.), as required by the National Electric Code.
7.Don't create fire hazards by overloading an outlet or an extension cord.
8.Avoid electrical shock by mapping and marking your switch and outlet boxes. Put the map on the door of the main power service panel.
9.Leave a warning message that you are working on the circuit at the service panel, and tape the circuit breaker in the off position. With a fuse box, take the fuse out
10.Never change the size of a fuse or breaker in a circuit.
11.Be certain your connector is CO/ALR rated when you splice aluminum wire. If it is marked CU/ALR, use only copper wire. Do not use aluminum wire with push terminals; use only copper or copper-dad aluminum wire.
12.Always correct the problem that caused a fuse or circuit breaker to blow before replacing the fuse or circuit breaker.
13.Replace wiring that shows signs of fraying or deterioration.
14.Avoid breaking your knuckles by bracing the powerful right-angle drill so that it cannot spin around if it gets stuck while drilling.
15.Before working with wires or electrical connections, check them with a voltage tester to be sure they are dead.
16.Plumbing and gas pipes are often used to ground electrical systems. Never touch them while working with electricity.
17.Don't use metal ladders with overhead electricity.
18.Use the proper protection, take precautions, and plan ahead. Never by-pass safety to save money or to rush a project   
« Last Edit: September 20, 2009, 08:59:16 am by legodacenstein » Report Spam   Logged

Maplen13
Craftsman

MLNO Reputation 2

« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2009, 09:06:00 am »

Ah, it seems interesting and fun.... And I knew my dad saying about America using 110, and the Philippines 220, which this computer is using, while my American made monitor in 110.

I will get imedeately my Microsoft office onenote.

Wow.... Nice safety precautions, need to heave that warnings.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2009, 12:13:04 pm by Heliosphere » Report Spam   Logged
Legodac
Failed
X Banned Members
Inventor

MLNO Reputation -10

Awards:

« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2009, 12:13:28 pm »

I saw that onenote thing, not sure what it is, here's my attempt at getting a simle layout here, if it works we'll move on

Report Spam   Logged

Maplen13
Craftsman

MLNO Reputation 2

« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2009, 12:14:34 pm »

Oooh... Am I guessing we are going first to do schematics, and symbols of electronic objects, and etc towards any object?

Also any chance in this subject we will learn Architecture and Carpentry, or is that another Subject all together?
« Last Edit: September 20, 2009, 12:16:14 pm by Heliosphere » Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

LEGO® is a trademark of the LEGO Group, which does not sponsor, authorize or endorse this site.
Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum