News Box
WELCOME TO MLNO!!! ... ENJOY YOUR TIME HERE! ... WHILE YOU ARE HERE, CHECK OUT OUR RPGS!
My LEGO Nexus Organization
April 19, 2024, 10:53:08 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Guests: Please register and look around! Tell your friends. Registration is instant, but you'll have to wait for an active admin to get online to approve your account, which should take less than 24 hours.  If you do not receive your approval email, just try to login. We are having issues with the automated email system.

Home   Forum   Help Arcade Gallery Rules The MOC Corner Staff List Login Register Chat  

Home Economics and Shop Class

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Home Economics and Shop Class  (Read 1522 times)
Legodac
Failed
X Banned Members
Inventor

MLNO Reputation -10

Awards:
Team: No Team
Purpose: Well, to bring you Lego news Camera  my own Lego Store, then perhaps being the 9th Lego Pro, then if there is enough money, I may bring Stanley Home

AND ONE BOWL OF VEGGIE BEEF SOUP, TO FEED THEM ALL

Badges: (View All)
Level 5 Fourth Year Anniversary Combination
« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2009, 12:19:36 pm »

Oooh... Am I guessing we are going first to do schematics, and symbols of electronic objects, and etc towards any object?

Also any chance in this subject we will learn Architecture and Carpentry, or is that another Subject all together?
This shop class we'll cover it all
Report Spam   Logged

From Frostburgh they came,           the clones of the cold, through the tunnel in the frame,            to a tower so old
clic this eh http://s681.photobucket.com/albums/vv176/legodac/?start=all
Maplen13
Craftsman

MLNO Reputation 2

Failure isn't something bad, it is your mentor

Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2009, 12:23:17 pm »

Oh my, that's real amazing.... so about that layout thing? And what is it for?
Report Spam   Logged
Legodac
Failed
X Banned Members
Inventor

MLNO Reputation -10

Awards:
Purpose: Well, to bring you Lego news Camera  my own Lego Store, then perhaps being the 9th Lego Pro, then if there is enough money, I may bring Stanley Home

« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2009, 02:04:22 pm »

ok, I think we should begin a little more simply here while I try to figure out my new smartdraw program.

Class is in, you're first assignment is an easy one, through words or diagrams, explain how one would go about running a new receptacle from your panel, through open wall studs in your basement, also on this same 15 amp circuit will be a single light and a switch to control it (to assess your present knowledge).
Report Spam   Logged

From Frostburgh they came,           the clones of the cold, through the tunnel in the frame,            to a tower so old
Maplen13
Craftsman

MLNO Reputation 2

« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2009, 07:37:10 am »

Wouldn't it also depend where your basement is located near the panel? Because... I never went to a basement before...

ehehehe... I am not getting this *Scratches head* :-\

Hmm.... A panel, then a plug, a 15amp circuit, and a lighting, is everything in the same room, or most importantly in the same basement?
Report Spam   Logged
Legodac
Failed
X Banned Members
Inventor

MLNO Reputation -10

Awards:

« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2009, 07:58:39 am »

I need you to wing it, I'll give you an example, the phone rings at D/A/C Electric, some lady says she needs her water heater hooked up. I drive over and head for the basement with a hank of 12/2, my pouch of tools a carryall with some material, screws connectors etc and a 20 amp 2-pole breaker suited for the panel. Regional Electrical Code Books tell us many do's and don'ts, so you need that as well to do things right. By the time you actually hook something up, this book will be in your head and you won't need to carry it around with you.

Be creative, when you've finished I'll show what I would have done and that is the best way to learn, trying to do it yourself first
Report Spam   Logged

Maplen13
Craftsman

MLNO Reputation 2

« Reply #25 on: September 21, 2009, 08:12:23 am »

I'm sorry, but that was just plain gibberish to me

(sigh) fine...

What I would do, is..... have the panel, get the new receptacle, plug them, put the lighting bulb thing attached to on of the wires connected to the panel socket, through that same circuit running through the basement, I will hook it to a lighting switch and back into the panel.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2009, 08:17:58 am by Heliosphere » Report Spam   Logged
Legodac
Failed
X Banned Members
Inventor

MLNO Reputation -10

Awards:

« Reply #26 on: September 21, 2009, 08:20:09 am »

Go to post 22 and wing it, try, make an effort to do what is asked, do you know what 14/2 is? Or are they just teaching math nowadays?
Report Spam   Logged

Maplen13
Craftsman

MLNO Reputation 2

« Reply #27 on: September 21, 2009, 08:23:04 am »

um... I don't know what those are, because that book I have is for a Philippine basic curriculum which isn't in America Standard..
Report Spam   Logged
Legodac
Failed
X Banned Members
Inventor

MLNO Reputation -10

Awards:

« Reply #28 on: September 21, 2009, 08:34:38 am »

um... I don't know what those are, because that book I have is for a Philippine basic curriculum which isn't in America Standard..
Allright, since we're talking about wiring, we'll start with WIRE..

14/2 is the most common, the #14 denotes the guage of the wire, it has the ability to carry 15 amps of power, although in Canada, you're only allowed to load any circuit or device to 80% of it's value, which means the 14/2 is allowed 12 amps maximum load. The 2 denotes conductor amount, you have a white (neutral wire) and a line wire(the power in black). There is also a bare copper 14 AWG (American Wire Guage) wire in the 14/2 cable. The sheath comes in many forms from house wiring to direct burial to armoured to ship building. NMD-7 is a standard household wire and the only one you need for the project.
Report Spam   Logged

Maplen13
Craftsman

MLNO Reputation 2

« Reply #29 on: September 21, 2009, 09:00:47 am »

Ok.. could dig into more with the basics and then to the homework, to bring that knowledge to implement it.
Report Spam   Logged
Legodac
Failed
X Banned Members
Inventor

MLNO Reputation -10

Awards:

« Reply #30 on: September 21, 2009, 09:24:13 am »

Ok.. could dig into more with the basics and then to the homework, to bring that knowledge to implement it.
You're procrastinating, NP, let's continue with wire and cable, Oh btw, WTDB Wire and cable?
We have an endless amount of types and guages and conductor amount of wires in this Trade...

Low Voltage Wire (low voltage is 50 V. A/C to 750 volts A/c)

14/2 good for 15 amps maximum load capacity ( load to 80% only unless your're using aluminium, in which case only 70% is allowed) 2 conductors a neutral and a bare ground wire. Sheath is optional aswell.
14/3 15 MLC (loading allways applies to 80% copper and 70% ALU) 3 cond. 2- line and one neutral, great for kitchen splits and 3- way switching.
14/4 less common, never used it yet unless in speaker wire with stranded copper
12/2, the white wire acts as a line too, when hooking upm a water heater, usually 240 volt 20 amp, 16 is your max here, always read the nameplate to know what you're hooking up
12/3 NMW/U is a common direct burial  for backyard wiring
10/3 feeds your dryer, that's a 30 amp wire with a neutral aswell and a 12 guage, for a ground
8/3 stranded feeds your 40 amp stove
14/2 feeds your fridge and it has a breaker all to itself...
Report Spam   Logged

Maplen13
Craftsman

MLNO Reputation 2

« Reply #31 on: September 21, 2009, 10:00:03 am »

I know I'm procrastinating, since it's 11:10PM in a School Night, So I don't want to be late waking up.. and I'm real confused. But as well, I will be taking notes. And drinking lots of oragne juice.
Report Spam   Logged
Legodac
Failed
X Banned Members
Inventor

MLNO Reputation -10

Awards:

« Reply #32 on: September 26, 2009, 07:59:31 am »

You mentioned you wanted to get a little architecture traing, well I'm not building a house, but today I'm putting on a second story to our dog bunker, in the dog pen.

I'll take some pictures and share them with you later this evening, I'll be fun, not so much from a design aspect, but more of a lesson in power tools, simple and effective contstruction and practicality.

I'm going to post this now and return shortly with a few pics of the current dog bunker, I'll also show you the tree house I made years ago, which I tore down last year due to "Team Inactivity", haha, lol (my grandson wants me to build another, never should have torn it down, I wasn't thinking about future generations).

PhotoBucket is slow now, I'll show the tree house later, for now, here's the dog bunker, now I'm off to my buddy's place to pick up some lumber..

I didn't keep my promise, My Bad? We got some more material though from Rob'S Reno. If you want to talk about architecture, well here it is, this boy, my friend and boss, knows building, lookclosely, these pics really tell a story. I'm hoping to do the dog pen thing Sunday, we'll see eh...

Here's a few more, a picture tells a thousand words..........

« Last Edit: September 27, 2009, 04:18:26 am by legodacenstein » Report Spam   Logged

Maplen13
Craftsman

MLNO Reputation 2

« Reply #33 on: October 03, 2009, 01:12:25 pm »

Amazing  Shocked Shocked

I applaud, and wish you can teach me the basis of doing architecture and/or carpentry.
Report Spam   Logged
Legodac
Failed
X Banned Members
Inventor

MLNO Reputation -10

Awards:

« Reply #34 on: October 03, 2009, 02:13:37 pm »

Amazing  Shocked Shocked

I applaud, and wish you can teach me the basis of doing architecture and/or carpentry.
Welcome back buddy, I may be able to do that, simple stuff to start, we have to start with a single piece of wood, a 2 by 4 8 feet long, explain to me how you would build a box to hold your lego, if you need a longer 2 by 4 then take it, plywood goes on after
Report Spam   Logged

Maplen13
Craftsman

MLNO Reputation 2

« Reply #35 on: October 03, 2009, 02:52:59 pm »

Hmm, i'll be creative in this, I would first cut the 2 x 4 and cut it in half, and when I mean half by its side, this would give me, smaller 2 x 4s which I would cut in half again but in the front/back length, to give me four different same size wood, that I can nail or glue to have a box in equal sizes with a hole to put my legos in.
Report Spam   Logged
Legodac
Failed
X Banned Members
Inventor

MLNO Reputation -10

Awards:

« Reply #36 on: April 25, 2010, 05:50:46 am »

A very dear friend of mine has asked a question, I'm answering...

THE HOME EC AND SHOP TEACHER HAS RETURNED
Report Spam   Logged

Legodac
Failed
X Banned Members
Inventor

MLNO Reputation -10

Awards:

« Reply #37 on: July 23, 2011, 05:41:20 pm »

Let's see if we can make it work this time,
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

LEGO® is a trademark of the LEGO Group, which does not sponsor, authorize or endorse this site.
Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum