News Box
WELCOME TO MLNO!!! ... ENJOY YOUR TIME HERE! ... WHILE YOU ARE HERE, CHECK OUT OUR RPGS!
My LEGO Nexus Organization
April 19, 2024, 07:55:37 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to My Lego Nexus Organization! A LEGO Universe, LEGO and My LEGO Network Fan Site! The LEGO Company does not sponsor, authorize, or endorse this site.-- New? Check out the welcome forum and get started! Got questions? PM Blade, or one of the other active members of the staff.

Home   Forum   Help Arcade Gallery Rules The MOC Corner Staff List Login Register Chat  

Counselors Services

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Counselors Services  (Read 1729 times)
MsRowdyRedhead
Sage Mentor......... (renowned for profound wisdom)
MLNO Forum Moderator
Exciting Poster

MLNO Reputation 100

Awards:
Team: No Team
Purpose: Harmony

The forum can't be the same without our friends.

Badges: (View All)
Tenth Year Anniversary Ninth Year Anniversary Eighth Year Anniversary
« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2009, 01:43:50 am »

Here's an Essay Format

5 Paragraph Essay Format

This is only one method of organizing an essay.

Introductory paragraph

A. Catches the reader's interest

B. Gives brief background on your topic

C. Begins or ends with the thesis statement

Body (paragraphs 2, 3, etc.)

A. Develops, expands, and/or supports the thesis statement

B. Includes a topic sentence for each paragraph

C. Includes supporting details which reinforce the topic sentence.

Concluding paragraph

A. Restates the thesis or sums up the argument.

B. Tells the reader what you think is important to remember. (Often, this is a personal response).

C. Never introduce new information in the conclusion. Extend your thinking on something from the essay.

OR THIS:
Frequently, the formatting of your essay may be nearly as important to a teacher as the content is. If your teacher or professor gives you specific formatting guidelines, you should follow them. However, if no guidelines are set, you have several different options for formatting your paper.

The Essay Title
Although the topic of your essay serves as the title, the title section of your essay contains several additional elements. You have two options for the title section:

Display the title at the top of the first page.
Use a separate title page for the title section of your essay.
When you’re not using a title page, generally your name, the course name, professor or teacher’s name and the due date are placed at the upper left hand corner of the first page. Below that should be your title centered. Your essay begins after skipping one line below the title.

Example:
John Brown
English Literature
Professor William Lear
December 5, 2005

When using a separate title page, the title is the first information on the page and horizontally centered at about the top third of the page. Leave the center of your page empty. Other title elements may be double or single-spaced and may be either centered or left aligned in the final third of your title page.
Note: The essay title should be in the same font type and size as the rest of your essay and should not be bolded, italicized or underlined.

Mel Gibson: Hamlet or Just a “Ham”?
By John Brown

English Literature
Professor William Lear
December 5, 2005

Tips for Formatting Essay Text

Use the standard margins of 1" on the top and bottom margins and 1.25" on the left and right margins.
Double spaced text is standard in essay writing and provides room for your editor or teacher to circle or underline errors or add arrows connecting their comments to your text.
Unless otherwise specified, essay text is left aligned. In cases where your essay is hand written instead of typed, it’s “handy” to use a straight edge to keep vertical alignments at a 90-degree angle.
Use a standard font such as “Times New Roman” size 12.
Print your essay on only one side of paper.
Use standard white paper (8.5" X 11”).
Paragraphs are identified by an indentation of five spaces (a tab), do not make extra spaces between paragraphs.
Page Numbers
When used, a separate title page is not numbered. The first page of text is page 1 and may be numbered at the bottom center, in the upper right hand corner, or left unnumbered. Number subsequent pages in the upper right hand corner of each page.
Page numbers should be numbers only. Abbreviations like “p. 3” or indicators like “page 2 of 5” are usually inappropriate for essays.

In the MLA style, the page number is preceded by your last name spaces, i.e. Brown 1. Also in the MLA style all pages that contain the essay text are numbered in the upper right hand corner.

Works Cited

If you have used outside sources to gain information on your essay, you need to include a works cited page of the sources you used at the end of your paper. The appropriate method of listing your sources depends on the type of publications (e.g. book, article, web page, etc.) you used in researching your topic. The format of the works cited page also varies according to the style of citation used within your text.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2009, 01:45:26 am by MsRowdyRedhead » Report Spam   Logged

The dream is free.. the work to achieve it is sold separately.
OOC: An OOC expression of horror would confirm your humanity nicely. Wink
MLNO.  The only forum I know where expressions like the one above are commonplace. Tongue
Everyone is frustrating in their own special way.
"Right is right, even if everyone is against it. Wrong is wrong, even if everyone is for it." ♥
"If you're not havin a good day, change your mind!!"
Legodac
Failed
X Banned Members
Inventor

MLNO Reputation -10

Awards:
Purpose: Well, to bring you Lego news Camera  my own Lego Store, then perhaps being the 9th Lego Pro, then if there is enough money, I may bring Stanley Home

AND ONE BOWL OF VEGGIE BEEF SOUP, TO FEED THEM ALL

Level 5 Fourth Year Anniversary Combination
« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2009, 01:47:14 am »

[/quote]If you don't mind my asking Dude, what grade are you in? I'm just curious, you sound like grade 10 or 11.Sorry MsRR, didn't mean to post over you
« Last Edit: September 27, 2009, 01:48:40 am by legodacenstein » Report Spam   Logged

From Frostburgh they came,           the clones of the cold, through the tunnel in the frame,            to a tower so old
clic this eh http://s681.photobucket.com/albums/vv176/legodac/?start=all
B~T
Network Surfer
Artisan

MLNO Reputation 5

Awards:

Level 5 Level 4 Fourth Year Anniversary
« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2009, 11:21:34 am »

I'm in grade 8...

And I have to do a book essay...
Report Spam   Logged
MsRowdyRedhead
MLNO Forum Moderator
Exciting Poster

MLNO Reputation 100

Awards:

« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2009, 01:19:48 pm »

Ok.. I go back first to this:
About reading & interpreting a book more effectively:
When I am reading something I will have to report on or talk about later, I make notes after each section of reading on what my impressions were, what facts need to be remembered, etc. Sometimes when I do that I do not even have to look at the notes later.. especially if I was interested in the topic.
The very act of collecting my thoughts and writing them down seems to help.

THis may also be of help..
http://www.readinglady.com/mosaic/tools/Student%20Reading%20Comprehension%20Strategies%20explanation%20from%20Leslie.pdf

Do you need halp with a format??
Most book reports follow a similar format, but your teacher will probably outline what he or she expects from you. Follow those instructions first.

Introductory Paragraph

The first sentence should state for which instructor and class the book-report is being written.

The second sentence should state the title of the book and the author's name.

The third sentence should tell how many pages the book has and the name of the publisher.

The fourth sentence can state basic bibliographic information about the book. Bibliographic information means not only the author and title but also what company published the book, what year it was published in and any other relevant information such as the edition and if the book has been translated, simplified or abridged. (see copyright page and the back of the title page.)

The next sentence should state the reason(s) you decided to read this book. Why did you choose this particular book? Typical reasons might be:

You like the author.
You like this type of book (i.e. mystery, western, adventure or romance, etc.).
Someone recommended the book to you.
It was on a required reading list.
You liked the cover.

These reasons do not have to be complex. Most people choose the books they read because they like the author or somebody recommended it to them. If you chose the book because you like the author, then state why you like that author.

An optional sentence can be used if the cover (back cover) of the book gives you any additional information then add a sentence with that information.

Was the book a best seller?
Are there X million copies in print?
Did it win any major awards?

Main Character(s) Paragraph

The first sentence of this paragraph should state who the main character or characters of the book are, and why they are important. Refer to this person or these persons as the Main Character or Main Characters.

You will need at least a complex sentence for this, and probably more than one sentence.

Other Characters Paragraph
You should compose at least one sentence for each of the other prominent or important characters in the book. State the name of each of the other important characters, and the key role that each one plays in the book

Most books have five or six prominent characters besides the main character, so simply listing each one and stating their role in the book will give you a good sized paragraph.

Plot Summary Paragraph

This is perhaps the hardest paragraph to write in five sentences or so. If you have to write a bit more don't worry. Here are the main points to cover:

State the type of book (Mystery, Western, etc.).
What place or country was the book set in?
What time period was the book set in? (19th century, the present, ancient Rome, the 23rd century).
Other physical locations which are important, like: ships, airplanes, houses, or buildings.
Other notable attributes of the book. (Was it violent, scary, fast paced, etc.).
What is the main character trying to do?
What is the outcome of the book?
etc.

Make sure you cover all of the major parts of the plot. You might have to go back through the book, chapter by chapter, and make a few notes.

Personal Impressions and Conclusion Paragraph

Simply talk about what you liked or did not like about the book. Use this paragraph as your conclusion. It should summarize your overall impressions of the book and bring the report to a close.

Start with a sentence that states that you are now writing a conclusion. (For example: "My final thoughts on 'A Fine Balance' are that it is a fascinating book but I am not entirely sure if I completely understood the thematic message of the book."

Restate your reasons why you liked and/or disliked the book using different words.

Write two sentences that talk about the books good points and weak points.

Write a sentence or two about what you learned from the book.

Close with a sentence that states whether you would recommend the book to others.

Don't be afraid to give your own honest impressions of the book. After all, if you've read the book thoroughly, you are entitled to your own interpretation of it.

The Conclusion
This is an appropriate place to state your personal opinion of the book. What did you think of it? Would you recommend it to others? Why or why not?
Report Spam   Logged

MLNO.  The only forum I know where expressions like the one above are commonplace. Tongue
"Right is right, even if everyone is against it. Wrong is wrong, even if everyone is for it." ♥
B~T
Network Surfer
Artisan

MLNO Reputation 5

Awards:

« Reply #24 on: October 08, 2009, 08:49:40 pm »

*sigh*

Progress Reports came out today, and on my English 8H, I got:

a grade in the 70-79 range  :-[ Cry

On progress reports, I never got anything this low...

Now when I think about it, I start to worry about my grades...

And about my book essay (which was really answering to a question in the book), the teacher said that most of my class did well, and I believe that I did well, with the help of other people.

And guys...

Yesterday, it was the first time I did an essay without me being on half my essay when there is 5 min. left!  Shocked This is an accomplishment for me, and I feel that I had fulfilled my promise I made to my English teacher last year (To be more time-wise on essays).  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged
MsRowdyRedhead
MLNO Forum Moderator
Exciting Poster

MLNO Reputation 100

Awards:

« Reply #25 on: October 28, 2009, 02:28:23 pm »

BT, I am so sorry, I commented on this earlier, but I walked away from the computer because the site was taking a long time loading. I guess it never did post.

I am sure your grades will come up, and I am very happy for the progress you made on your essay.

Are things falling into place better??
Report Spam   Logged

B~T
Network Surfer
Artisan

MLNO Reputation 5

Awards:

« Reply #26 on: October 28, 2009, 07:22:45 pm »

I was referring to a different essay when I said that I accomplished an essay on time (not the book one).  Tongue

And so far, my grades are in the B- range. They were once B's...  Cry

Now, my mission is to MAINTAIN a B, rather than get an A...
« Last Edit: October 28, 2009, 07:57:49 pm by Black~Terror » Report Spam   Logged
MsRowdyRedhead
MLNO Forum Moderator
Exciting Poster

MLNO Reputation 100

Awards:

« Reply #27 on: October 28, 2009, 07:33:43 pm »

How do you feel about that??
Report Spam   Logged

B~T
Network Surfer
Artisan

MLNO Reputation 5

Awards:

« Reply #28 on: October 28, 2009, 07:55:12 pm »

According to my mom, the minimum of getting an Honors Roll per quarter is a B or above in all subjects... I really need to get at least a B...

And how did Bs get censored on my last post? <-- Never mind, I was referring to the plural of grade "B", not the other definition... >_>
« Last Edit: October 28, 2009, 07:58:22 pm by Black~Terror » Report Spam   Logged
MsRowdyRedhead
MLNO Forum Moderator
Exciting Poster

MLNO Reputation 100

Awards:

« Reply #29 on: October 28, 2009, 08:19:15 pm »

The automatic word censor is strange..

If the class is too hard, talk to your Mom about it. If you could do better, but need help, ask for it. If you don't need help to do better, then concentrate and do the best you can.
Grades are considered to be very important by most people.
Report Spam   Logged

B~T
Network Surfer
Artisan

MLNO Reputation 5

Awards:

« Reply #30 on: October 28, 2009, 08:26:45 pm »

The automatic word censor is strange..

If the class is too hard, talk to your Mom about it. If you could do better, but need help, ask for it. If you don't need help to do better, then concentrate and do the best you can.
Grades are considered to be very important by most people.

My mom already knows about my situation I'm in...

I think I have the potential to do my best...
Report Spam   Logged
MsRowdyRedhead
MLNO Forum Moderator
Exciting Poster

MLNO Reputation 100

Awards:

« Reply #31 on: October 28, 2009, 08:36:27 pm »

That's great!!  I remember when I was first places in AP classes.. I was scared to death I wouldn't do well..  By the mid term I was getting A's.
I think it all comes down to believing in yourself, and having others believe in you. And always doing your best to learn.

In the end..learning and understanding the material are really what matter.
Report Spam   Logged

Driver12
JuniorBuilder

MLNO Reputation 0

Purpose: Complete the objective, regardless of cost.

Level 4 Fourth Year Anniversary Combination
« Reply #32 on: November 02, 2009, 10:55:57 pm »

I can offer rudimentary advice on freshman college course selection.

I can also help with high school stuff...it's just I have learned about first year classes in college more honestly.
Report Spam   Logged

We've been observing out here in Arizona that the people in power who shout loudest about "the law is the law" and "what about illegal don't you understand" are usually the biggest lawbreakers here. Par for the course.
Tommy_60
JuniorBuilder

MLNO Reputation 0

Purpose: Clarity

Lego charges me up!↑

Eighth Year Anniversary Seventh Year Anniversary Sixth Year Anniversary
« Reply #33 on: January 13, 2010, 06:22:54 pm »

Before I ask my question: Are we still allowed to post here?
Report Spam   Logged

MsRowdyRedhead
MLNO Forum Moderator
Exciting Poster

MLNO Reputation 100

Awards:

« Reply #34 on: January 13, 2010, 09:24:53 pm »

Did you read the rules for this board??
Like this one... http://www.mlno.org/index.php/topic,5442.0.html
Report Spam   Logged

Tommy_60
JuniorBuilder

MLNO Reputation 0

Purpose: Clarity

Lego charges me up!↑

Eighth Year Anniversary Seventh Year Anniversary Sixth Year Anniversary
« Reply #35 on: January 14, 2010, 03:09:59 pm »

I wasn't asking about that.  I was wondering if you were still here.
Report Spam   Logged

MsRowdyRedhead
MLNO Forum Moderator
Exciting Poster

MLNO Reputation 100

Awards:

« Reply #36 on: February 15, 2010, 11:47:46 pm »

Topics do not get locked in this board, so yes you can always post here. ( It is in the rules)
Report Spam   Logged

Legodac
Failed
X Banned Members
Inventor

MLNO Reputation -10

Awards:
Purpose: Well, to bring you Lego news Camera  my own Lego Store, then perhaps being the 9th Lego Pro, then if there is enough money, I may bring Stanley Home

AND ONE BOWL OF VEGGIE BEEF SOUP, TO FEED THEM ALL

Level 5 Fourth Year Anniversary Combination
« Reply #37 on: April 25, 2010, 05:14:44 pm »

OK, I kind of only half qualify for asking this question, so here goes my q in the life skills departement.

There's a guy at work, he's my size, likable, but according to most, a major complainer. My dilemma is this, he loves to ride me, in fun, everyone laughs, as do I, he is funny, but it's getting old. On two occasions in the past we almost came to blows. I like him, but he's getting old real fast these days.

I'm on soft ground here for several reasons, I'm a sub-contracter to a sub-contracter to the biggest Highway maintenance co. in Canada. He is also the only African Canadian where I work.

I've told him in the past to lay off, but my words have fell upon deaf ears.

Any advice would be appreciated
Report Spam   Logged

From Frostburgh they came,           the clones of the cold, through the tunnel in the frame,            to a tower so old
clic this eh http://s681.photobucket.com/albums/vv176/legodac/?start=all
MsRowdyRedhead
MLNO Forum Moderator
Exciting Poster

MLNO Reputation 100

Awards:

« Reply #38 on: April 25, 2010, 06:44:41 pm »

If you put half as much into your work as yo do into your MOCs, I am certain you are on much firmer ground than you thought.
Slamming him into a wall would do nothing to either enhance your image, or change his behavior.
If you can give me some idea of the kind of things hes says, here or via PM, I will be most happy to address a strategy to dissuade him from continuing.
Report Spam   Logged

Teddy3333
JuniorBuilder

MLNO Reputation 0

Purpose: To make the world a better place.

Entrepreneur

« Reply #39 on: April 25, 2010, 07:12:30 pm »

What do you do for someone who works with you for 5 years and than thinks they get 10 arces of flat tillable land for free?
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

LEGO is a trademark of the LEGO Group, which does not sponsor, authorize or endorse this site.
Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum