News Box
WELCOME TO MLNO!!! ... ENJOY YOUR TIME HERE! ... WHILE YOU ARE HERE, CHECK OUT OUR RPGS!
My LEGO Nexus Organization
April 19, 2024, 10:57:04 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to My Lego Nexus Organization! A LEGO Universe, LEGO and My LEGO Network Fan Site! The LEGO Company does not sponsor, authorize, or endorse this site.-- New? Check out the welcome forum and get started! Got questions? PM Blade, or one of the other active members of the staff.

Home   Forum   Help Arcade Gallery Rules The MOC Corner Staff List Login Register Chat  

BIBLE STUDY TOPIC

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: BIBLE STUDY TOPIC  (Read 3104 times)
Shoots Da Kine
Craftsman

MLNO Reputation 1

Team: No Team
Purpose: To catch up with some old folks around this here fine website.

I'm back!

Badges: (View All)
Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #60 on: November 15, 2009, 02:41:57 pm »

Hmm, well, I think it is a strong verse. It was in the New Testament. I just finished reading the book Peter a few days ago, but I read it using the NIV Bible.

At this moment, I will have to think about it a little more to fully understand it. Like I said, it is a strong verse, unlike some others in the Bible.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2009, 02:43:44 pm by IndyMan » Report Spam   Logged

Quote from: Wagner
indy how are owl city and lost related?
Driver12
JuniorBuilder

MLNO Reputation 0

Purpose: Complete the objective, regardless of cost.

Level 4 Fourth Year Anniversary Combination
« Reply #61 on: November 16, 2009, 07:30:58 am »

In the very beginning God created us in His image. Part of that image, I believe, is the ability to attain holiness. Even though our holiness is attained though the shed blood of Jesus, we must still live a lifestyle which reflects that holiness. And we can do this if the goal (heaven) means more to us than anything else this life has to offer.

The KJV says: ". . . gird up the loins of your mind" we must prepare our minds daily for the things we will encounter.
There are many things that can intoxicate our minds and render us useless in serving God. Such things as pride, arrogance, greed, revenge, hate, laziness, the lure of drugs,  etc. We should  be on guard against those things which would weaken our resolve to be faithful, take our minds off the goal or convince us that there is some better or easier way.
We need strong, complete and never failing hope. We need to abandon old habits that hinder or progress as Christians, to be holy.

Edit:
Other thoughts about this verse??

I heard something interesting from my Bible professor. "Gird up your loins" refers to something that Israelite men in ancient times did. As you all are probably aware, men in ancient Israel wore robes, which of course had what were basically skirts. The skirts were split along the sides so that they could tie up the skirts when they needed to run. This action was referred to as "girding up one's loins", since the strips making up the skirt were called loins. Essentially, I think God is saying to prepare our minds not only for temptation, but for learning as well.
Report Spam   Logged

We've been observing out here in Arizona that the people in power who shout loudest about "the law is the law" and "what about illegal don't you understand" are usually the biggest lawbreakers here. Par for the course.
MsRowdyRedhead
Sage Mentor......... (renowned for profound wisdom)
MLNO Forum Moderator
Exciting Poster

MLNO Reputation 100

Awards:
Purpose: Harmony

The forum can't be the same without our friends.

Tenth Year Anniversary Ninth Year Anniversary Eighth Year Anniversary
« Reply #62 on: November 16, 2009, 03:05:08 pm »

You are quite right, Driver.
Report Spam   Logged

The dream is free.. the work to achieve it is sold separately.
OOC: An OOC expression of horror would confirm your humanity nicely. Wink
MLNO.  The only forum I know where expressions like the one above are commonplace. Tongue
Everyone is frustrating in their own special way.
"Right is right, even if everyone is against it. Wrong is wrong, even if everyone is for it." ♥
"If you're not havin a good day, change your mind!!"
LordVaderRulez
Craftsman

MLNO Reputation 0

Awards:
Purpose: To get off this dang Island...

4 8 15 16 23 42

Level 5 Windows User Combination
« Reply #63 on: November 16, 2009, 03:51:56 pm »

I think Walter covered it pretty good.

Mind if I bring up a few verses?
Report Spam   Logged

Incorrect, I for one, can honestly say say, I'm just a large sandwich, that loves Lego and has a vision or two....
[/center]
MsRowdyRedhead
MLNO Forum Moderator
Exciting Poster

MLNO Reputation 100

Awards:

« Reply #64 on: November 16, 2009, 05:19:12 pm »

Please do, LVR
Report Spam   Logged

MLNO.  The only forum I know where expressions like the one above are commonplace. Tongue
"Right is right, even if everyone is against it. Wrong is wrong, even if everyone is for it." ♥
LordVaderRulez
Craftsman

MLNO Reputation 0

Awards:

4 8 15 16 23 42

« Reply #65 on: November 17, 2009, 03:43:29 pm »

I would like to discuss the subject of tithe and whether or not it is needed. First off I'll post some verses about the subject.

And qall the tithe of the land, whether of the seed of the land or of the fruit of the tree, is the Lord’s. It is holy to the Lord.

-Lectivous 27:30

You shall truly tithe all the increase of your grain that the field produces year by year
-Deuteronomy 14:22

Now I thik it pretty clearly says whether or not it is needed, but I want to see everybody's take on the issue.
Report Spam   Logged

Incorrect, I for one, can honestly say say, I'm just a large sandwich, that loves Lego and has a vision or two....
[/center]
Shoots Da Kine
Craftsman

MLNO Reputation 1

I'm back!

« Reply #66 on: November 17, 2009, 06:26:02 pm »

Hmm. What do you really want again? Tithe means:

one tenth of annual produce or earnings, formerly taken as a tax for the support of the church and clergy.
• (in certain religious denominations) a tenth of an individual's income pledged to the church.
• [in sing. ] archaic a tenth of a specified thing : he hadn't said a tithe of the prayers he knew.

So, what do you want us to say about it? Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

LordVaderRulez
Craftsman

MLNO Reputation 0

Awards:

4 8 15 16 23 42

« Reply #67 on: November 17, 2009, 10:00:39 pm »

Whether or not a tithe should be payed to the church or whether it should depend on wealth, etc.
Report Spam   Logged

[/center]
Shoots Da Kine
Craftsman

MLNO Reputation 1

I'm back!

« Reply #68 on: November 17, 2009, 10:07:08 pm »

I think it should be payed to the Church, but...
Report Spam   Logged

MsRowdyRedhead
MLNO Forum Moderator
Exciting Poster

MLNO Reputation 100

Awards:

« Reply #69 on: November 17, 2009, 10:43:09 pm »

Two kinds of giving are taught consistently throughout Scripture: giving to the government (always compulsory), and giving to God (always voluntary). . . . The issue has been greatly confused, however, by some who misunderstand the nature of the Old Testament tithes. Tithes were not primarily gifts to God, but taxes for funding the national budget in Israel. .Because Israel was a theocracy, the Levitical priests acted as the civil government.
All giving apart from that required to run the government was purely voluntary ( Exodus 25:2; 1 Chronicles 29:9). Each person gave whatever was in his heart to give; no percentage or amount was specified. . .

The guideline for our giving to God and His work is found in 2 Corinthians 9:6-7: "Now this I say, he who sows sparingly shall also reap sparingly; and he who sows bountifully shall also reap bountifully. Let each one do just as he has purposed in his heart; not grudgingly or under compulsion; for God loves a cheerful giver.
Report Spam   Logged

Spilo
Raven Shredder
Journeyman

MLNO Reputation 0

Purpose: To be Raven That Shreds

Comment or pm me...

Search Windows User Combination
« Reply #70 on: November 18, 2009, 10:24:53 am »

Two kinds of giving are taught consistently throughout Scripture: giving to the government (always compulsory), and giving to God (always voluntary). . . . The issue has been greatly confused, however, by some who misunderstand the nature of the Old Testament tithes. Tithes were not primarily gifts to God, but taxes for funding the national budget in Israel. .Because Israel was a theocracy, the Levitical priests acted as the civil government.
All giving apart from that required to run the government was purely voluntary ( Exodus 25:2; 1 Chronicles 29:9). Each person gave whatever was in his heart to give; no percentage or amount was specified. . .

The guideline for our giving to God and His work is found in 2 Corinthians 9:6-7: "Now this I say, he who sows sparingly shall also reap sparingly; and he who sows bountifully shall also reap bountifully. Let each one do just as he has purposed in his heart; not grudgingly or under compulsion; for God loves a cheerful giver.

I'll join and you are absolutely right MSRR!
Report Spam   Logged

Flash-әdge
JuniorBuilder

MLNO Reputation 1

Christian, Musician, Writer, Dreamer, Protector

Windows User Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #71 on: November 18, 2009, 04:38:52 pm »

All that we own belongs to the Lord, I believe that while we shouldn't be legalistic, tithing to God is an important aspect of the Christian life. Of course, we must also be wary of giving to a good source.

With government, that is mandatory. Christ said "give to Cesar what belongs to Cesar." (He also said "give to God what belongs to God.")

I believe however, that giving more than the 10% as a display of complete gratitude is voluntary and has good effects. Consider the lady who gave 95% and survived on the money she produced.

There are also many stories of people who were blessed because of how much they tithed. My family has experienced this in these hard times.

A good book to read, by Randy Alcorn, would be Money, Possessions, and Eternity.
Report Spam   Logged
Shoots Da Kine
Craftsman

MLNO Reputation 1

I'm back!

« Reply #72 on: November 21, 2009, 02:44:21 pm »

@ Flash,

I have read some of that book. My Mom rented it, and it looked interesting. Though, I wasn't able to finish it.
Report Spam   Logged

MsRowdyRedhead
MLNO Forum Moderator
Exciting Poster

MLNO Reputation 100

Awards:

« Reply #73 on: November 21, 2009, 05:10:20 pm »

For me the key is still "not grudgingly or under compulsion;" If we give under compulsion ( you must tithe) it is a meaningless transfer of funds.
Report Spam   Logged

Flash-әdge
JuniorBuilder

MLNO Reputation 1

« Reply #74 on: November 23, 2009, 01:42:35 pm »

Yes, but it's hard to understand the joy of giving if you've never given before.
Report Spam   Logged
Shoots Da Kine
Craftsman

MLNO Reputation 1

I'm back!

« Reply #75 on: December 05, 2009, 05:52:15 pm »

Here is what I think fully of tithe:

A. Someone shouldn't go around with a bowl asking for money while in church. I think that you should just set out a box at a main door/area and let people put it in (I've gone to a few churches that do that). Just asking for money with a golden bowl is kinda demanding...
Report Spam   Logged

MsRowdyRedhead
MLNO Forum Moderator
Exciting Poster

MLNO Reputation 100

Awards:

« Reply #76 on: December 12, 2009, 02:11:36 am »

I think it may be time for a new passage...

Ephesians 4:26-31 (New International Version)

26"In your anger do not sin": Do not let the sun go down while you are still angry, 27and do not give the devil a foothold. 28He who has been stealing must steal no longer, but must work, doing something useful with his own hands, that he may have something to share with those in need.

29 Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen. 30 And do not grieve the Holy Spirit of God, with whom you were sealed for the day of redemption. 31 Get rid of all bitterness, rage and anger, brawling and slander, along with every form of malice.
32  Be kind and compassionate to one another, forgiving each other, just as in Christ God forgave you.

« Last Edit: December 12, 2009, 05:40:08 pm by MsRowdyRedhead » Report Spam   Logged

Legodac
Failed
X Banned Members
Inventor

MLNO Reputation -10

Awards:
Purpose: Well, to bring you Lego news Camera  my own Lego Store, then perhaps being the 9th Lego Pro, then if there is enough money, I may bring Stanley Home

AND ONE BOWL OF VEGGIE BEEF SOUP, TO FEED THEM ALL

Level 5 Fourth Year Anniversary Combination
« Reply #77 on: December 12, 2009, 04:41:33 am »

Wow, a lot of good sayings came from those few passages. I think I may join this topic now and then and I promise to behave.
On 26"-When angered we all tend to lash out now and then and always regret what we said in anger, best to take a deep breath and remember something my Grandmother used to say "I've never regretted my silence, but I've often regretted my words".
  The second part hits home for me aswell, going to bed angry is not the thing to do, your dreams will always reflect your days events, so kiss and make up, you'll feel a lot better in the long run.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2009, 12:05:31 pm by Dancer » Report Spam   Logged

From Frostburgh they came,           the clones of the cold, through the tunnel in the frame,            to a tower so old
clic this eh http://s681.photobucket.com/albums/vv176/legodac/?start=all
Flash-әdge
JuniorBuilder

MLNO Reputation 1

« Reply #78 on: December 13, 2009, 10:43:08 pm »

Vs26 has always held a place in my heart as I grew up a very angry and bitter kid. My parents always reminded me of that, and it helped me in resolving my sins with God and others before I hit the sack. After all, you never know if that will be your last day.
Vs27 is a great verse because every action we do has effect. We either serve the Kingdom of God, or the other kingdom. This is an important reminder to serve God always.
Vs28 not only puts down what God considers wrong, but encourages us to be productive rather than lazy.
Vs29- The Bible always says that the tongue is sharper than a sword. It wounds, and it heals. The latter is always the better decision.
Vs30- We must, must, must respect God the Holy Spirit. There is even a curse for those who blaspheme the Holy Spirit.
Vs31- A good summary of what we should avoid, specifically on the case of bitterness - which has a deep root which can affect generations of family. I know this from experience in my grandparents and uncle.
Vs32 tells us how we should treat each other, because God loves us. Because we are forgiven, we can forgive others too.

Old Man Winter
Report Spam   Logged
MsRowdyRedhead
MLNO Forum Moderator
Exciting Poster

MLNO Reputation 100

Awards:

« Reply #79 on: January 06, 2010, 01:37:18 pm »

Thank you, Flash.

Does someone have a verse or passage they would like to bring up next??
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

LEGO® is a trademark of the LEGO Group, which does not sponsor, authorize or endorse this site.
Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum