News Box
WELCOME TO MLNO!!! ... ENJOY YOUR TIME HERE! ... WHILE YOU ARE HERE, CHECK OUT OUR RPGS!
My LEGO Nexus Organization
March 28, 2024, 08:38:44 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Guests: Please register and look around! Tell your friends. Registration is instant, but you'll have to wait for an active admin to get online to approve your account, which should take less than 24 hours.  If you do not receive your approval email, just try to login. We are having issues with the automated email system.

Home   Forum   Help Arcade Gallery Rules The MOC Corner Staff List Login Register Chat  

Rights of a Child

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Rights of a Child  (Read 772 times)
Jade
Network Striker
Inventor

MLNO Reputation 18

Awards:
Team: No Team

..darling I'm a nightmare dressed like a daydream

Badges: (View All)
Seventh Year Anniversary Sixth Year Anniversary Fifth Year Anniversary
« on: January 05, 2010, 11:15:57 am »

Recently, the United Nations have proposed a treaty concerning the Rights of a Child. The CRC has been ratified by 193 nations, making it the most widely adopted human rights treaty ever signed. Only two nations have not ratified or acceded to the CRC: the United States and Somalia.

Ten things you need to know about the structure of the CRC:

1. It is a treaty which creates binding rules of law.  It is no mere statement of altruism.

2. Its effect would be binding on American families, courts, and policy-makers.

3. Children of other nations would not be impacted or helped in any direct way by our ratification.

4. The CRC would automatically override almost all American laws on children and families because of the U.S. Constitution’s Supremacy Clause in Article VI.

5. The CRC has some elements that are self-executing, while others would require implementing legislation.  Federal courts would have the power to determine which provisions were self-executing.

6. The courts would have the power to directly enforce the provisions that are self-executing.

7. Congress would have the power to directly legislate on all subjects necessary to comply with the treaty.  This would constitute the most massive shift of power from the states to the federal government in American history.

8. A committee of 18 experts from other nations, sitting in Geneva, has the authority to issue official interpretations of the treaty which are entitled to binding weight in American courts and legislatures.  This effectively transfers ultimate authority for all policies in this area to this foreign committee.

9. Under international law, the treaty overrides even our Constitution.

10. Reservations, declarations, or understandings intended to modify our duty to comply with this treaty will be void if they are determined to be inconsistent with the object and purpose of the treaty.

Ten things you need to know about the substance of the CRC:

Parents would no longer be able to administer reasonable spankings to their children.

A murderer aged 17 years and 11 months and 29 days at the time of his crime could no longer be sentenced to life in prison.

Children would have the ability to choose their own religion while parents would only have the authority to give their children advice about religion.

The best interest of the child principle would give the government the ability to override every decision made by every parent if a government worker disagreed with the parent’s decision.

A child’s “right to be heard” would allow him (or her) to seek governmental review of every parental decision with which the child disagreed.

According to existing interpretation, it would be illegal for a nation to spend more on national defense than it does on children’s welfare.

Children would acquire a legally enforceable right to leisure.

Christian schools that refuse to teach "alternative worldviews" and teach that Christianity is the only true religion "fly in the face of article 29" of the treaty.

Allowing parents to opt their children out of sex education has been held to be out of compliance with the CRC.

Children would have the right to reproductive health information and services, including abortions,  without parental knowledge or consent.

Please read through the material given, and feel free to research it for yourself. Debate whether or not you think the US should ratify this treaty. If it is effective in your country right now, debate whether it is affective or not.
Report Spam   Logged
LordVaderRulez
Craftsman

MLNO Reputation 0

Awards:
Purpose: To get off this dang Island...

4 8 15 16 23 42

Level 5 Windows User Combination
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2010, 01:13:12 pm »

Parents would no longer be able to administer reasonable spankings to their children.
My parents never did that to me and I suppose it would depend on whethe it was ton for a long period of time or not,

A murderer aged 17 years and 11 months and 29 days at the time of his crime could no longer be sentenced to life in prison.
Disagree, it should be up to the court whether or not to try him as an adult.

Children would have the ability to choose their own religion while parents would only have the authority to give their children advice about religion.
The child's religion is the child's choice. Does this "advice: mean advice about what religion to choose of "advice" about one specific religiom?

The best interest of the child principle would give the government the ability to override every decision made by every parent if a government worker disagreed with the parent’s decision.
It really depends on the situation.

A child’s “right to be heard” would allow him (or her) to seek governmental review of every parental decision with which the child disagreed.
I highly doubt this would be abused and if it were the goverment is not going to answer to someone angry because she  couldn't go to a dance

According to existing interpretation, it would be illegal for a nation to spend more on national defense than it does on children’s welfare.
Our national defense budget is way out of hand thanks to Bush/Obama's wars overseas. Once more it depends whether the war/defense money is needed and the number of children suffering abuse.

Children need rest, do they not? However I can see this one abused.

Christian schools that refuse to teach "alternative worldviews" and teach that Christianity is the only true religion "fly in the face of article 29" of the treaty.
If it's a private school let them teach what they want.

Allowing parents to opt their children out of sex education has been held to be out of compliance with the CRC.
Disagree, parents should decide.

Children would have the right to reproductive health information and services, including abortions,  without parental knowledge or consent.
Depends on what services/information.

Report Spam   Logged

Incorrect, I for one, can honestly say say, I'm just a large sandwich, that loves Lego and has a vision or two....
[/center]
Tommy_60
JuniorBuilder

MLNO Reputation 0

Purpose: Clarity

Lego charges me up!↑

Eighth Year Anniversary Seventh Year Anniversary Sixth Year Anniversary
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2010, 02:34:20 pm »

So, are you saying that this thing allows children to go to bed at anytime they want?  And the parents would still have to sponsor them for school and other activities?  Would this rule allow kids to view innappropriate pictures on the internet without their parents' permission?  Som kids are immature and make bad choices in their lives.

"Christian schools that refuse to teach "alternative worldviews" and teach that Christianity is the only true religion "fly in the face of article 29" of the treaty."

Does that mean that private schools wouldn't be allowed to teach religion?  That's absurd.

"Children would have the right to reproductive health information and services, including abortions,  without parental knowledge or consent."

NO.  Abortion is just wrong, it's murder.  If that is allowed, than why aren't people allowed to kill somebody in a dark ally?  It's the exact same thing.

I am very happy that the USA has not signed this treaty.
Report Spam   Logged

Walter313
MLN Quester
JuniorBuilder

MLNO Reputation 0

Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2010, 03:03:14 pm »

Ridiculous. Kids need to know that they get punished for doing the wrong things.

Again, Ridiculous. People as young as 13 should be able to be given any sentence deserved. But if they are minors at the time of the crime, they should be given Parole...

Well, as far as I know, parents can't choose what kids think. But I am the same religion as my parents, because I agree with them. But parents should be able to choose what religion the kids are brought up with.

NO WAY. Parents have a right to raise their children how ever they want!

NO. If a parent said "No IceCream" the kid shouldn't be able to take it to the government...

dumb. Parents are in charge of child welfare.

Oh my goodness.

Schools should be allowed to teach what they want. The parents choose what school the kids go to, soo...

NO WAY. Kids don't need Sex ed, unless it's from their parents. Sex Ed is the reason there are so many Teenage pregnancy's.

Don't agree. Their parents should control that.
Report Spam   Logged
Tommy_60
JuniorBuilder

MLNO Reputation 0

Lego charges me up!↑

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2010, 03:09:05 pm »

I agree with you, Walter.
Report Spam   Logged

Tommy_60
JuniorBuilder

MLNO Reputation 0

Lego charges me up!↑

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2010, 07:37:27 pm »

What are your views on this, Jade?
Report Spam   Logged

MsRowdyRedhead
Sage Mentor......... (renowned for profound wisdom)
A - MLNO Featured Admin of '08
Exciting Poster

MLNO Reputation 100

Awards:
Purpose: Harmony

The forum can't be the same without our friends.

Tenth Year Anniversary Ninth Year Anniversary Eighth Year Anniversary
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2010, 07:52:25 pm »

I am appalled that this bill is being considered, and agree with most of the points made.
And I heartily concur with R8's comments about our sovereignty, and the ever growing grasp of the federal government.
Additionally, I see another few billion dollars being used to set up systems, and a few billion thrown in for worldwide support..

Jade thank you for bringing this to our attention.
Report Spam   Logged

The dream is free.. the work to achieve it is sold separately.
OOC: An OOC expression of horror would confirm your humanity nicely. Wink
MLNO.  The only forum I know where expressions like the one above are commonplace. Tongue
Everyone is frustrating in their own special way.
"Right is right, even if everyone is against it. Wrong is wrong, even if everyone is for it." ♥
"If you're not havin a good day, change your mind!!"
LordVaderRulez
Craftsman

MLNO Reputation 0

Awards:

4 8 15 16 23 42

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2010, 07:55:33 pm »

I think such power for a world organization is not needed for a long, long time.
Report Spam   Logged

Incorrect, I for one, can honestly say say, I'm just a large sandwich, that loves Lego and has a vision or two....
[/center]
The Truth
Ace RPG Master
Emote Manager
Veteran

MLNO Reputation 100

Awards:
Purpose: Flower Garden 2/3, now on my DeviantART!

Yes, my Lord.

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2010, 08:04:26 pm »

some of the ideas in the bill are good, but....
here's an example (not sire if it was a true story or not): a child was dying of....I think it was severe cancer. (I heard this a while ago, don't fully remember it). she could not be cured, and didn't have that long to live. She asked to be let out of the hospital, so that, just once, she could feel what it was like to be normal. Play on the beach, run around, ETC.  The doctors didn't want her to, even though she could not be cured and would die soon anyway.  they wanted her to spend her entire life in the hospital on the (nonexistent) chance that they might be able to cure her. the parents decided to grant her request and let her enjoy life for once.

this new law would allow the government to refuse kids like her that request, and make them spend their entire life hooked up to machines, with no hope for getting better.  Cry

Also,
right to leisure
and
no more on defense than on child welfare
are too broad and vague, and
is a no-no. parents have a right to know.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2010, 08:11:18 pm by Herochild » Report Spam   Logged

Quote from: Albert Einstein
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits.
Try SWTOR free via this link and we both get prizes.

SWTOR info:
Server: The Harbinger. Name: Pythirr.
Class: Sith Inquisitor (Assassin). Alignment: Light Side V.
Level: 60! Legacy level: 50. Current planet:  Yavin IV dailies. Current OP: The Ravagers. Legacy Surname: Falton
Collector's Edition, VIP, Founder, PTS 1.2 and 1.3, RotHC Pre-order, , SOR Beta Tester, and Pre-Order player.
Other characters: Ullonit (Agent), Ka'laana (Consular), Hasko (Trooper), Vtrial (Warrior), Massacha (Smuggler), Nassius (Bounty Hunter), Liralee (Knight).
Maplen13
Craftsman

MLNO Reputation 2

Failure isn't something bad, it is your mentor

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2010, 11:03:07 pm »

I have read the Convention on the rights of the Child...

And... Well, It had many things that I do very like:

Article 18: Acknowledging that the Parents, or Legal Guardians both have common responsibilites..etc
Article 28: On promoting free educational right to children

But Yet, I have to see exactly what Jedi Jade put up, I have yet to find those...
Report Spam   Logged
Walter313
MLN Quester
JuniorBuilder

MLNO Reputation 0

« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2010, 12:26:15 am »

My parents are unhappy with the system as it is. My parents have to sign a paper saying that I don't have to tell them the Grades I get if I don't want too. And the school doesn't have to tell my parents either. Taking away the rest of the rights my parents have would only harm Me and my Parents.

Everyone knows, whether they'll admit it or not, that MOM knows better than we do. If we make our own decisions from the ground up, we'll be ruined.
Report Spam   Logged
Jedi Man Jdg
Initiate

MLNO Reputation 0

Purpose: My life

Hi

Level 6 Tenth Year Anniversary Ninth Year Anniversary
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2010, 07:26:30 am »

1. Parents would no longer be able to administer reasonable spankings to their children.
What? Spanking can be abused, but as long as its used for the righ reasons, and under the right circumstances, its fine.

2. A murderer aged 17 years and 11 months and 29 days at the time of his crime could no longer be sentenced to life in prison.
Wrong.

3. Children would have the ability to choose their own religion while parents would only have the authority to give their children advice about religion.
Well, Parent's should be able to teach their kids what religion they want. But Its still the CHild's descion if he/she wants to believe it

4. The best interest of the child principle would give the government the ability to override every decision made by every parent if a government worker disagreed with the parent’s decision
^ This can be abused.
5. A child’s “right to be heard” would allow him (or her) to seek governmental review of every parental decision with which the child disagreed.
Huh? What Walter said about the "No Icecream thing'

6.According to existing interpretation, it would be illegal for a nation to spend more on national defense than it does on children’s welfare.
7. Children would acquire a legally enforceable right to leisure.
O_O

8. Christian schools that refuse to teach "alternative worldviews" and teach that Christianity is the only true religion "fly in the face of article 29" of the treaty.
Let them teach what they want.

9.Allowing parents to opt their children out of sex education has been held to be out of compliance with the CRC.
Parents should be teaching their kids about sex. NOT schools.

10. Children would have the right to reproductive health information and services, including abortions,  without parental knowledge or consent.
why?

Report Spam   Logged

SIG SIG SIG SIG SIG
Maplen13
Craftsman

MLNO Reputation 2

Failure isn't something bad, it is your mentor

« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2010, 09:53:08 am »

Ok, is it me, or someone was reading a blog on an Anti-UN, or that they were just quote-mining...

Because. I have scanned it with many search engines in PDF, HTML, Forms, from different websites, well just a few.. and I see nothing about abortion, or enforcable lesuire.. except that it did say the States Parties acknowlegde the fact that the Child is free to have lesiure. About gaining information? Well it said mostly about if this child is finding his/her whereabouts of this child's parents, and/or is up for adoption. In the case of the no child to be sentensed to prision... Really, a child can be put in prison, the thing is... That child can't be up for Capital Punishment, or a lifetime in prison with an absolute no chance of release in mind.

"A child’s “right to be heard” would allow him (or her) to seek governmental review of every parental decision with which the child disagreed."

Ok how about this:

"Article 12
1. States Parties shall assure to the child who is capable of forming his or her own
views the right to express those views freely in all matters affecting the child, the views of the
child being given due weight in accordance with the age and maturity of the child.
2. For this purpose, the child shall in particular be provided the opportunity to be heard
in any judicial and administrative proceedings affecting the child, either directly, or through a
representative or an appropriate body, in a manner consistent with the procedural rules of
national law
."

7. "Children would acquire a legally enforceable right to leisure."

This:

"Article 31
1. States Parties recognize the right of the child to rest and leisure, to engage in play
and recreational activities appropriate to the age of the child and to participate freely in cultural
2. States Parties shall respect and promote the right of the child to participate fully in
cultural and artistic life and shall encourage the provision of appropriate and equal
opportunities for cultural, artistic, recreational and leisure activity.
"
Enforce and Promote/Recognize are different things.

And number nine, I didn't see any of that at all...

And 10: "Children would have the right to reproductive health information and services, including abortions,  without parental knowledge or consent."

"States Parties shall promote, in the spirit of international co-operation, the exchange
of appropriate information in the field of preventive health care and of medical, psychological
and functional treatment of disabled children, including dissemination of and access to
information concerning methods of rehabilitation, education and vocational services, with the
aim of enabling States Parties to improve their capabilities and skills and to widen their
experience in these areas. In this regard, particular account shall be taken of the needs of
developing countries.
"

"4. Where such separation results from any action initiated by a State Party, such as the
detention, imprisonment, exile, deportation or death (including death arising from any cause
while the person is in the custody of the State) of one or both parents or of the child, that State
Party shall, upon request, provide the parents, the child or, if appropriate, another member of
the family with the essential information concerning the whereabouts of the absent member(s)
of the family unless the provision of the information would be detrimental to the well-being of
the child. States Parties shall further ensure that the submission of such a request shall of itself
"

I'm sorry to be providing these, just wanted to make sure every can see and decide...

Report Spam   Logged
Tommy_60
JuniorBuilder

MLNO Reputation 0

Lego charges me up!↑

« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2010, 03:06:02 pm »

What does "Flying in the face of Article 29." mean?
Report Spam   Logged

LordVaderRulez
Craftsman

MLNO Reputation 0

Awards:

4 8 15 16 23 42

« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2010, 04:33:23 pm »

Article 29 (1), Convention on the Rights of the Child

"1. States Parties agree that the education of the child shall be directed to:

"(a) The development of the child's personality, talents and mental and physical abilities to their fullest potential;

"(b) The development of respect for human rights and fundamental freedoms, and for the principles enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations;

"(c) The development of respect for the child's parents, his or her own cultural identity, language and values, for the national values of the country in which the child is living, the country from which he or she may originate, and for civilizations different from his or her own;

"(d) The preparation of the child for responsible life in a free society, in the spirit of understanding, peace, tolerance, equality of sexes, and friendship among all peoples, ethnic, national and religious groups and persons of indigenous origin;

"(e) The development of respect for the natural environment."

That's article 29. I fail to see how that goes against Christian schools. I am really starting to doubt this whole thing.
Report Spam   Logged

[/center]
Jade
Network Striker
Inventor

MLNO Reputation 18

Awards:

..darling I'm a nightmare dressed like a daydream

Seventh Year Anniversary Sixth Year Anniversary Fifth Year Anniversary
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2010, 04:33:26 pm »

Maple, this information was given to me by the founder of Patrick Henry College HIMSELF. He is a lawyer, and has argued cases before the Supreme Court. I think he knows what he's talking about.
Report Spam   Logged
LordVaderRulez
Craftsman

MLNO Reputation 0

Awards:

4 8 15 16 23 42

« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2010, 05:17:18 pm »

Maple, this information was given to me by the founder of Patrick Henry College HIMSELF. He is a lawyer, and has argued cases before the Supreme Court. I think he knows what he's talking about.
Patrick Henry college has been called an extremely conservative college and has ties to the Republican Party which has several anti-UN stances.
Report Spam   Logged

[/center]
Tommy_60
JuniorBuilder

MLNO Reputation 0

Lego charges me up!↑

« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2010, 05:31:33 pm »

Hey, I'm a Republican and I'm not against the UN!
Report Spam   Logged

LordVaderRulez
Craftsman

MLNO Reputation 0

Awards:

4 8 15 16 23 42

« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2010, 05:38:28 pm »

Not every Republican is, but some disagree with a lot of the UN.
Report Spam   Logged

[/center]
MsRowdyRedhead
Sage Mentor......... (renowned for profound wisdom)
A - MLNO Featured Admin of '08
Exciting Poster

MLNO Reputation 100

Awards:
Purpose: Harmony

The forum can't be the same without our friends.

« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2010, 06:37:34 pm »

I just read all the articles, this list here is a little far reaching and exagerated.  Especially towards the end of the second part, where it says Christian Schools cannot teach that Christianity is the only way, and it flies in the face of article 29 - Article 29 states:
Article 29 (Goals of education): Children’s education should develop each child’s personality, talents and abilities to the fullest. It should encourage children to respect others, human rights and their own and other cultures. It should also help them learn to live peacefully, protect the environment and respect other people. Children have a particular responsibility to respect the rights their parents, and education should aim to develop respect for the values and culture of their parents. The Convention does not address such issues as school uniforms, dress codes, the singing of the national anthem or prayer in schools. It is up to

governments and school officials in each country to determine whether, in the context of their society and existing laws, such matters infringe upon other rights protected by the Convention.

As you can see it says NOTHING about religion. 

Unicef has the articles posted as PDF's, they are not all in order, but they seem to be all there.

http://www.unicef.org/crc/index_30177.html

Report Spam   Logged

The dream is free.. the work to achieve it is sold separately.
OOC: An OOC expression of horror would confirm your humanity nicely. Wink
MLNO.  The only forum I know where expressions like the one above are commonplace. Tongue
Everyone is frustrating in their own special way.
"Right is right, even if everyone is against it. Wrong is wrong, even if everyone is for it." ♥
"If you're not havin a good day, change your mind!!"
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

LEGO is a trademark of the LEGO Group, which does not sponsor, authorize or endorse this site.
Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum