News Box
WELCOME TO MLNO!!! ... ENJOY YOUR TIME HERE! ... WHILE YOU ARE HERE, CHECK OUT OUR RPGS!
My LEGO Nexus Organization
March 28, 2024, 11:48:49 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to My Lego Nexus Organization! A LEGO Universe, LEGO and My LEGO Network Fan Site! The LEGO Company does not sponsor, authorize, or endorse this site.-- New? Check out the welcome forum and get started! Got questions? PM Blade, or one of the other active members of the staff.

Home   Forum   Help Arcade Gallery Rules The MOC Corner Staff List Login Register Chat  

How to do a Proof

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How to do a Proof  (Read 410 times)
Apprentice

MLNO Reputation 0

Team: No Team
Purpose: Find a good community (checking MLNO out, one forum didn't seem to work out), to finish my novel (outside), and to get my forum more popular (outside of site).

In God We Trust.

Badges: (View All)
Level 4 Level 3 Fifth Year Anniversary
« on: March 31, 2010, 10:43:34 pm »

Today I decided to teach HDS, so why not here too!

Edit: Moved to Ed Board. 
Feel free to post the rest of the details here. ..
 ~ MsRR
« Last Edit: March 31, 2010, 11:21:32 pm by MsRowdyRedhead » Report Spam   Logged

"How strange," continued the king, with some asperity; "the police think that they have disposed of the whole matter when they say, 'A murder has been committed,' and especially so when they can add, 'And we are on the track of the guilty persons.'" -Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo
-----------------------------------
My French Class:
http://www.mln-ligers.net/French-Study-h8.htm
-----------------------------------
My Blog:
A New School, A New Book, A New Trip… and Donuts?
MsRowdyRedhead
Sage Mentor......... (renowned for profound wisdom)
MLNO Forum Moderator
Exciting Poster

MLNO Reputation 100

Awards:
Team: No Team
Purpose: Harmony

The forum can't be the same without our friends.

Badges: (View All)
Tenth Year Anniversary Ninth Year Anniversary Eighth Year Anniversary
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2010, 11:36:16 pm »

THERE IS NEVER JUST ONE WAY OF STATING A PROOF.
The two most important things a proof must possess are clarity and backup.
Actually there are even several ways of presenting a proof argument:

1. There is the high school textbook, classic, method of writing two columns, the first being a list of numbered arguments and the second column a matching list of legal justifications i.e. theorems, definitions, postulates.

2. Then there is the more "collegiate" method of writing a lengthy paragraph. This is known as the paragraph method and each sentence is backed up in prose form with its justification.

3. In the American Society of Professional Estimators, we use a mixture of the two. We write numbered, complete, sentences which each have a legal math reason imbedded in them. Our most important goals are KEEP IT EASY TO UNDERSTAND and KEEP IT LEGAL.

So don't worry about trying to match a "perfect wording". Just be sure that your statements are clear, and that they are each backed up with a legal reason.

A good measure of the quality of your proof is found by reading it to a person who has not taken a geometry course or who hasn't been in one for a long time. If they can understand your proof by just reading it, and they don't need any verbal explanation from you, then you have a good proof.

It's fun once you get good at it, and being good at it makes your powers of reason MUCH stronger. No, you will probably never need to prove that a rhombus is a convex quadrilateral in "real life", but learning how to do it will develop a strong logical circuit in your brain.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2010, 11:40:01 pm by MsRowdyRedhead » Report Spam   Logged

The dream is free.. the work to achieve it is sold separately.
OOC: An OOC expression of horror would confirm your humanity nicely. Wink
MLNO.  The only forum I know where expressions like the one above are commonplace. Tongue
Everyone is frustrating in their own special way.
"Right is right, even if everyone is against it. Wrong is wrong, even if everyone is for it." ♥
"If you're not havin a good day, change your mind!!"
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

LEGO® is a trademark of the LEGO Group, which does not sponsor, authorize or endorse this site.
Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum