News Box
WELCOME TO MLNO!!! ... ENJOY YOUR TIME HERE! ... WHILE YOU ARE HERE, CHECK OUT OUR RPGS!
My LEGO Nexus Organization
March 28, 2024, 01:11:49 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Guests: Please register and look around! Tell your friends. Registration is instant, but you'll have to wait for an active admin to get online to approve your account, which should take less than 24 hours.  If you do not receive your approval email, just try to login. We are having issues with the automated email system.

Home   Forum   Help Arcade Gallery Rules The MOC Corner Staff List Login Register Chat  

How-To: Take a screenshot

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How-To: Take a screenshot  (Read 271 times)
Yhnmko1
Apprentice

MLNO Reputation 0

Badges: (View All)
Combination Topic Starter Level 2
« on: May 15, 2011, 01:04:59 am »

Originally posted by Crushinator82 on LEGOUni. (I've added how to make the game take .pngs and how to find lwo.xml on XP)
-
I realized some people don't know how to take a screenshot in LEGO Universe. Here are the PC instructions, I believe Mac is similar (different button, different folder):

1.) Most PC keyboards have a 'print screen' or 'prt scn' button. Press that button during the game to take a screenshot.
2.) To see the screenshot, go to C:\Users\(YOUR NAME HERE)\Documents\LEGO Creations\, and you'll find all screenshots you've made.

The default file format is jpeg, which is somewhat lossy/blurry. I will post later how you can change your format to bitmap or png, which makes the files much larger, but perfectly clear.

EDIT: Ok, here are the instructions for changing your file format for screenshots from .jpg to .bmp or .png (WARNING: Do this at your own risk. If you're under 18, have a parent help you, and if you mess up your lwo.xml file, you should delete the entire file and restart your game, it will make you a new file):

1.) You need to make sure you're able to see hidden folders in Windows. To do this go to Start->Control Panel->Folder Options->View->Hidden Files and Folders->Show hidden files and folders.
2.) Locate your LU configuration file, it will be called lwo.xml.
In Vista/Win7 it is located in C:\Users\AppData\Local\LEGO Software\LEGO Universe.
In XP it is located in C:\Documents and Settings\(USER)\Local Settings\Application Data\LEGO Software\LEGO Universe.
3.) You need to be able to edit this file, I would open up notepad and drag the file into notepad (unless you have an .xml editor, then just use that).
4.) Once the file is open, search for "SCREENSHOT_FORMAT".
5.) If you find SCREENSHOT_FORMAT is already in your config file, then you'll see <Value> </Value> below it. Make sure the value is set at 0 for .bmps or 3 for .pngs.
5.a) If you don't find SCREENSHOT_FORMAT in your config file, go to the bottom of the file, and add a new line above </ConfigurableOptions> (which should be a couple of lines from the bottom of the file. In that new line, paste this:
.BMP
<ConfigurableOption name="SCREENSHOT_FORMAT" type="1">
<ValueSet>
<Value>0</Value>
</ValueSet>
</ConfigurableOption>

OR

.PNG
<ConfigurableOption name="SCREENSHOT_FORMAT" type="1">
<ValueSet>
<Value>3</Value>
</ValueSet>
</ConfigurableOption>

6.) Save your file, exit. Restart your game. Now when you hit the print screen button your files should be .bmps if you changed the value to 0, or .pngs if you changed the value to 3.

-

Originally posted by ZombieGorilla on LEGOUni.
-
For the Mac the default OS screen capture works great. If you do a couple quickly you can shots without any UI, and sometimes strange variations.

The OS screen capture for the mac is:
CMD+Shift+3 : Full screen to disk (default is desktop and PNG I believe)
CMD+OPT+Shift+3 : Full screen to clipboad
CMD+Shift+4 : Select an area to disk (only works in windowed mode for LU)
CMD+OPT+Shift+4 : Area to clipboard

You can crop and change format in Preview.

-
« Last Edit: May 15, 2011, 01:08:18 am by Yhnmko1 » Report Spam   Logged

LEGO Universe Wiki Admin
Alpha/Beta Tester
File-Diver
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

LEGO® is a trademark of the LEGO Group, which does not sponsor, authorize or endorse this site.
Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum