News Box
WELCOME TO MLNO!!! ... ENJOY YOUR TIME HERE! ... WHILE YOU ARE HERE, CHECK OUT OUR RPGS!
My LEGO Nexus Organization
April 19, 2024, 12:38:20 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Guests: Please register and look around! Tell your friends. Registration is instant, but you'll have to wait for an active admin to get online to approve your account, which should take less than 24 hours.  If you do not receive your approval email, just try to login. We are having issues with the automated email system.

Home   Forum   Help Arcade Gallery Rules The MOC Corner Staff List Login Register Chat  

Pay %rep for DBL. posting, and other gains as well

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Pay %rep for DBL. posting, and other gains as well  (Read 1509 times)
Legodac
Failed
X Banned Members
Inventor

MLNO Reputation -10

Awards:
Team: No Team
Purpose: Well, to bring you Lego news Camera  my own Lego Store, then perhaps being the 9th Lego Pro, then if there is enough money, I may bring Stanley Home

AND ONE BOWL OF VEGGIE BEEF SOUP, TO FEED THEM ALL

Badges: (View All)
Level 5 Fourth Year Anniversary Combination
« on: July 19, 2011, 06:23:46 pm »

I've just had an epiphany, we all know double posting here in MLNO is not allowed in most circumstances and categories.
So we also all know there are those topics that we deeply want to have continue, even when we where the last poster and can't seem to do anything about it. The topic then remains buried for all time, never knowing the education it may have provided.

What if we created a point system to allow double posting, in other words, you must pay for it.

let me enlighten you, and this just might be both a lot of fun and also accomplishing our deepest MLNO desires.

Here's my take, though I do invite others to come up with a different point value system, it won't be cooler than this;

*MLNO rule # 4632, double posting will only be allowed at a loss of a 10% rep rating, if you must double post to bring back a topic, you will lose 10% of a rep point, 10 doubles is 1 rep point lost.

I know what you're thinking eh!

So, legodac is nuts, why not just ask someone else to post in the topic you want rejuvenated?

That will cost you too, or not, the point is; I made you think about two things
Double posting and rep points
Let's make rep points really count for something besides a number, then perhaps others will be more apt to build in a contest considering the points they win will help them do several other things here

Get it? Have you got it? Good!

The theme of double posting was the catalyst here, the topic is really about what we could do with Rep points to encourage participation from more members.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2011, 06:28:20 pm by Legodac » Report Spam   Logged

From Frostburgh they came,           the clones of the cold, through the tunnel in the frame,            to a tower so old
clic this eh http://s681.photobucket.com/albums/vv176/legodac/?start=all
Blade
Lightning Girl
A - Azure Striker
Crimson Apple Masterpiece Built!

MLNO Reputation 100

Awards:
Team: Network Strikers
Purpose: To stay DETERMINED

Bird... GO!

Tenth Year Anniversary Ninth Year Anniversary Eighth Year Anniversary
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2011, 06:36:45 pm »

Rep points already do more than just be a number. =P
Report Spam   Logged

I'm a girl - I'm a lesbian.

-==Blade's Story Library==-
-==Blade's RPG Library==-
A fresh start for the signature, aside for the libraries.

Blade is laughing ominously RUN FOR YOUR LIVES!!!
The forum is a girl? 0_o
I imagine new people coming to the forum expecting to see discussion about LEGO, only to see RPGs full of deranged characters and insane people talking about cheese and brains.
I'm beet. I don't think I'll do homework tonight.
So, you're a vegetable? Tongue
Legodac
Failed
X Banned Members
Inventor

MLNO Reputation -10

Awards:
Purpose: Well, to bring you Lego news Camera  my own Lego Store, then perhaps being the 9th Lego Pro, then if there is enough money, I may bring Stanley Home

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2011, 08:16:15 pm »

Thanks captain Obvious, I can see that, I'm suggesting they do a little more
Report Spam   Logged

From Frostburgh they came,           the clones of the cold, through the tunnel in the frame,            to a tower so old
Legodac
Failed
X Banned Members
Inventor

MLNO Reputation -10

Awards:

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2011, 08:45:21 pm »

I think this is a really neat idea, legodac.
If I could just clarify something: does this effectively make the rep system a system of currency, which members could trade in to get various rewards or privileges (like double posting for an inactive topic).

Cool, I think only that the rep system at present is a reward system that seems to do not very much.
I think if we were to somehow revamp the system, we would have a noticeable gain in user turnout and attendance and dare I say interest.

So yes R8, one rep could equal say, 10,000 Mycredits, we need to explore and hear more ideas.
The bottom line is, is that this is a good idea, let's make an MLNO reputation point mean a little more.

Other rewards could also include the right to view the archives, others would grant you a special color in a username. The possibilities are actually endless, we just need to want to it.

Report Spam   Logged

MsRowdyRedhead
Sage Mentor......... (renowned for profound wisdom)
A - MLNO Featured Admin of '08
Exciting Poster

MLNO Reputation 100

Awards:
Purpose: Harmony

The forum can't be the same without our friends.

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2011, 09:28:08 pm »

I would like to see more usage of the rep system as well, and it is an item the staff has been discussing! Some of you may have noticed we have been adding ways to gain rep.

I would be concerned about the mechanics fo the double post thing, and the possibility of people abusing it.. (what the heck, so I loose some rep) so it would have to be something done BEFORE the post.
From that standpoint if the goal is to revive a worthy topic, I believe any staff member would be willing to post a "bump" post so that the topic could be revived without cost.

So lets look at this a different way..

What would be good uses of rep here at the MLNO???
Report Spam   Logged

The dream is free.. the work to achieve it is sold separately.
OOC: An OOC expression of horror would confirm your humanity nicely. Wink
MLNO.  The only forum I know where expressions like the one above are commonplace. Tongue
Everyone is frustrating in their own special way.
"Right is right, even if everyone is against it. Wrong is wrong, even if everyone is for it." ♥
"If you're not havin a good day, change your mind!!"
Legodac
Failed
X Banned Members
Inventor

MLNO Reputation -10

Awards:

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2011, 03:12:23 pm »

I would like to see more usage of the rep system as well, and it is an item the staff has been discussing! Some of you may have noticed we have been adding ways to gain rep.

I would be concerned about the mechanics fo the double post thing, and the possibility of people abusing it.. (what the heck, so I loose some rep) so it would have to be something done BEFORE the post.
From that standpoint if the goal is to revive a worthy topic, I believe any staff member would be willing to post a "bump" post so that the topic could be revived without cost.

So lets look at this a different way..

What would be good uses of rep here at the MLNO???
I thank you all for giving this the attention it deserves. Perhaps the catalyst was when I returned after a long hiatus, I noticed a new contest Blade had started rewarding lots of rep to the winner and 2 for just entering.
I thought this was really cool. MsRR's second paragraph speaks of ridding us of my idea to make rep currency in a double posting theme, indeed, trash that and let's move on.

As I said earlier, since reps are being handed out in abundance and as reward to effort here, we need some ideas to use our reputations to promote and encourage the newcomer.

So, MsRR, looking at it from a different way, would you agree that rep points could do more?
This is indeed the hard point, for we are still a 2 dimensional place and the finding of uses for reps will not be easy.
Here's how I suggest we proceed, keeping in mind that rep points are an example and so are the suggestions, everything is changeable.

Example Suggestion #1:
5 rep points grants you the right to color in your username, yes, we already do, but now you pay for them.

Point in Fact #1: If you give reps for rewards, then it stands to reason that using that reward to get something you want even more will boost activity. Example, you give 10 rep to win a contest for an Moc, but the Moc'er doesn't care about rep, so they don't enter. If the Moc'er knows for example that 5 rep will allow them something else, you now have another entry to the contest.

Example Suggestion #2:
an additional 5 rep points will allow you to choose the color that is otherwise not available. (I wanted orange, CRX had it, truth is, well you figure it out)

Example Suggestion #3:
Rep points could be used as a status symbol and measure to enter VIP MOC contests. This would also encourage others to enter the regular contests to gain more rep to enter the VIP contest where perhaps larger gains will be the grand prize.

Example to #3 is simple, you would have The MLNO VIP MOC contest, 1,2,3,4, or 5 rep could be the entry fee.
different levels of this type of contest could be available.

I was going to do this in another topic or perhaps even privately, fact is, I've suggested this next idea before, and there are other forums who already do it with great success.

I think it's time to consider real prizes (boxes of Lego) as another way to enrich the forum.

So we need some more ideas from far smarter members than me,
What do think a rep could do, to make people say, that MLNO is the best, place to be?

« Last Edit: July 21, 2011, 03:17:16 pm by Legodac » Report Spam   Logged

Blade
Lightning Girl
A - Azure Striker

MLNO Reputation 100

Awards:

Bird... GO!

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2011, 03:18:30 pm »

There's already a way to get more colours though; it's just that with the current system, no-one's gotten to that stage yet. =P

Using it to state what contests you can enter is a very good idea; however, I don't believe that they should be taken away for that. Rep points aren't currency.

And the last part about real prizes will likely never happen; and I already mentioned part of the reason why in my interview topic. Wink If you want me to restate, it's partly on account I'm broke. =P
Report Spam   Logged

The forum is a girl? 0_o
I imagine new people coming to the forum expecting to see discussion about LEGO, only to see RPGs full of deranged characters and insane people talking about cheese and brains.
Legodac
Failed
X Banned Members
Inventor

MLNO Reputation -10

Awards:

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2011, 03:23:11 pm »

Where the money comes from is not the topic at the moment, the question is, if we had this in place, do you believe it would enrich the forum and keep members coming back to enter more Moc contests?
Report Spam   Logged

Blade
Lightning Girl
A - Azure Striker

MLNO Reputation 100

Awards:

Bird... GO!

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2011, 03:25:21 pm »

It might help; but what about those who enter them, and just reject the prize because they can't give out their addresses?

I know there's been multiple contests I'd've liked to have entered on BZP(And I have entered some); but I was fully prepared to give up the set prize, simply because it'd result in complicated stuff.
Report Spam   Logged

The forum is a girl? 0_o
MsRowdyRedhead
Exciting Poster

MLNO Reputation 100

Awards:

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2011, 03:28:48 pm »

Legodac, as I mentioned previously, we are already discussing this in staff. 

Report Spam   Logged

MLNO.  The only forum I know where expressions like the one above are commonplace. Tongue
"Right is right, even if everyone is against it. Wrong is wrong, even if everyone is for it." ♥
Legodac
Failed
X Banned Members
Inventor

MLNO Reputation -10

Awards:

« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2011, 03:41:16 pm »

Legodac, as I mentioned previously, we are already discussing this in staff. 
which part MsRR, this is a complicated topic?

It might help; but what about those who enter them, and just reject the prize because they can't give out their addresses?

I know there's been multiple contests I'd've liked to have entered on BZP(And I have entered some); but I was fully prepared to give up the set prize, simply because it'd result in complicated stuff.
MsRR know's the answer to that first line, it's called a post box, incognito
A locked instruction post would give the Moc'er the path to enlightenment
1 mod is in charge of getting the money, buying and mailing the Lego, or 2 or 3 mods for that matter.
Money can still be sent without a sender knowing the receivers true identity

The word your looking for debunking this is not "complicated", the word is "effort"

Report Spam   Logged

Blade
Lightning Girl
A - Azure Striker

MLNO Reputation 100

Awards:

Bird... GO!

« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2011, 03:44:13 pm »

No; it's called a 'long and hard debate with the parents'. You're not thinking about the kids who'd have to give up the prizes; because their parents won't let them hand out their address to people who are effectively strangers.

That's what I'm trying to get at here, with the privacy stuff.
Report Spam   Logged

The forum is a girl? 0_o
MsRowdyRedhead
Exciting Poster

MLNO Reputation 100

Awards:

« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2011, 03:56:43 pm »

LEGO doesn't do that any more.. and WE have said NO.
Report Spam   Logged

Rakoua
A GMod, not a database!
G - Borg MQ Global Mod
Inventor

MLNO Reputation 57

Awards:
Purpose: To bring perfection and order

Resistance is futile

Tenth Year Anniversary Level 7 Ninth Year Anniversary
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2011, 04:01:33 pm »

All that said, if we could get some publicity with a large scale contest we would be able to attract AFOL MOCers.
Report Spam   Logged

Quote from: Lily Sloane
Definitely not Swedish.

MsRowdyRedhead
Exciting Poster

MLNO Reputation 100

Awards:

« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2011, 04:08:58 pm »

We still could not offer any prize that compromised privacy Raks.
Report Spam   Logged

Legodac
Failed
X Banned Members
Inventor

MLNO Reputation -10

Awards:

« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2011, 04:09:16 pm »

Listen carefully guys, there is way to make this happen without violating privacy issues with parents and kids alike. Which reminds me, just what kids are you talking about here? Anyways, if EB can pull it off, so can we, which brings me to the most important question.

Would the Mods here like to see MLNO grow as big as EB? 

A simple question, in need of an answer.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2011, 04:12:27 pm by Legodac » Report Spam   Logged

MsRowdyRedhead
Exciting Poster

MLNO Reputation 100

Awards:

« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2011, 04:11:33 pm »

EB is not in the USA. If we violate COPPA we could be shut down.
Report Spam   Logged

Legodac
Failed
X Banned Members
Inventor

MLNO Reputation -10

Awards:

« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2011, 04:13:52 pm »

Listen carefully guys, there is way to make this happen without violating privacy issues with parents and kids alike. Which reminds me, just what kids are you talking about here? Anyways, if EB can pull it off, so can we, which brings me to the most important question.

Would the Mods here like to see MLNO grow as big as EB? 

A simple question, in need of an answer.

Please
Report Spam   Logged

MsRowdyRedhead
Exciting Poster

MLNO Reputation 100

Awards:

« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2011, 04:16:08 pm »

EB is not in the USA. If we violate COPPA we could be shut down.

Are you really asking us to RISK BEING SHUT DOWN after all we have been through?? Really??
Report Spam   Logged

Blade
Lightning Girl
A - Azure Striker

MLNO Reputation 100

Awards:

Bird... GO!

« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2011, 04:19:12 pm »

1) Eurobricks is not in North America from what I understand(Hence, EuroBricks).

2) Eurobricks is huge; but that's not the only reason that they can have contests with prizes like those.

3) Eurobricks, last I checked, was more or less for people who weren't under the age of 13.

As for your other question; there are more TFoLs at the least than AFoLs here. Not so on Eurobricks. And I'm almost certain there are some people who aren't yet TFoLs; but who, I wouldn't know for certain.
Report Spam   Logged

The forum is a girl? 0_o
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

LEGO® is a trademark of the LEGO Group, which does not sponsor, authorize or endorse this site.
Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum