News Box
WELCOME TO MLNO!!! ... ENJOY YOUR TIME HERE! ... WHILE YOU ARE HERE, CHECK OUT OUR RPGS!
My LEGO Nexus Organization
March 29, 2024, 05:32:22 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to My Lego Nexus Organization! A LEGO Universe, LEGO and My LEGO Network Fan Site! The LEGO Company does not sponsor, authorize, or endorse this site.-- New? Check out the welcome forum and get started! Got questions? PM Blade, or one of the other active members of the staff.

Home   Forum   Help Arcade Gallery Rules The MOC Corner Staff List Login Register Chat  

Star Trek: PCG: Brave New Souls [RPG][Discussion]

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Star Trek: PCG: Brave New Souls [RPG][Discussion]  (Read 1245 times)
Flipz
Inventor

MLNO Reputation 2

Team: No Team
Purpose: Oh, just to hang out occasionally.

Yeah, I have that effect on people.

Badges: (View All)
Level 6 Tenth Year Anniversary Ninth Year Anniversary
« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2012, 11:32:07 pm »

Act I gets everyone into trouble.  Act II is, essentially, RPG-combat as things get steadily worse (which is why it's hardest to write as a story as opposed to an RPG).  Act III is the conclusion.

I already have the story version written through Act I, the plotlines are for Act II.  Act III has pretty much been set in stone since before I even had Act I figured out, I just have to write it down. Tongue

OK, here's the preliminary Stats:

Stats:
When creating your character, you'll have to assign their stats.  Your baseline stats are determined by your Species, as well as the number of stat points you have to spend on them.  (Humans, for example, start with 1 Strength, 1 Dexterity, and 1 Mind point, and have 7 additional points to spend, while Klingons start with 4 Strength, 1 Dexterity, and 1 Mind point and have 4 additional points to spend as they see fit.)
This is a summary of what the different stats do:

Strength: Strength is a measure of your character’s physical strength, as well as their resistance to illness and injury.  You add your Strength to melee attack damage, such as attacks with vibro-swords, batleth, and bare fists.  You also add your Strength score when making Strength-related skill checks (like forcing open a jammed door or climbing up a wall or cliff).  In addition, for every 5 points of Strength you gain +1 Hit Point (in addition to your class and/or species boost during that level-up).
Dexterity: Dexterity represents your character’s reflexes, aim, and agility.  Add your Dexterity score to damage for ranged attacks, such as those from phasers or disruptors, as well as to Dexterity-related skill checks (such as dodging debris from an exploding console or piloting a starfighter).  In addition, for every 5 Dexterity points you gain, you will _____.
Mind: Mind represents your character’s mental prowess; their intelligence, wisdom, and charisma.  Your Mind score applies to damage caused by certain types of species-based attacks (i.e. aggressive uses of telepathy), as well as to Mind-related skill checks (such as diagnosing an alien disease, programming a computer to repair complex machinery, or plotting a ship’s navigational course).  In addition, for every 5 Mind points you gain, you will ______.

More to come, but I'd like yourfeedback on what I have posted so far first.

You may notice that I've given more importance to species, it seems to make sense to include the natural qualities of the species in the stats, especially since the various Divisions (classes) have less of an effect stat-wise compared to most RPGs.
Report Spam   Logged

3DS Friend Code: 3625-9584-9417 (Pokemon X Friend Safari: Electric-type, Pachirisu, Electabuzz, Huh?)
Fallen London Profile!
Joining through the link on my page earns me coffee.
Welcome, Delicious Friend!
MsRowdyRedhead
Sage Mentor......... (renowned for profound wisdom)
A - MLNO Featured Admin of '08
Exciting Poster

MLNO Reputation 100

Awards:
Purpose: Harmony

The forum can't be the same without our friends.

Tenth Year Anniversary Ninth Year Anniversary Eighth Year Anniversary
« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2012, 12:45:10 am »

You lost me.
Report Spam   Logged

The dream is free.. the work to achieve it is sold separately.
OOC: An OOC expression of horror would confirm your humanity nicely. Wink
MLNO.  The only forum I know where expressions like the one above are commonplace. Tongue
Everyone is frustrating in their own special way.
"Right is right, even if everyone is against it. Wrong is wrong, even if everyone is for it." ♥
"If you're not havin a good day, change your mind!!"
Flipz
Inventor

MLNO Reputation 2

« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2012, 12:58:35 am »

Ah, OK.  Give me a few days, I'll run a combat drill, it's easier to expain things by example. Wink

Also, this IS highly experiemental, so there's that too. Tongue
Report Spam   Logged

3DS Friend Code: 3625-9584-9417 (Pokemon X Friend Safari: Electric-type, Pachirisu, Electabuzz, Huh?)
Fallen London Profile!
MsRowdyRedhead
Exciting Poster

MLNO Reputation 100

Awards:

« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2012, 01:40:30 am »

Well I am not much into combat games anyhow...
Report Spam   Logged

MLNO.  The only forum I know where expressions like the one above are commonplace. Tongue
"Right is right, even if everyone is against it. Wrong is wrong, even if everyone is for it." ♥
Flipz
Inventor

MLNO Reputation 2

« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2012, 01:52:19 am »

That's why I'm also adapting the system to work for non-combat stuff, too. Wink  You'll see more when I finish working out the Classes. Wink
Report Spam   Logged

Fallen London Profile!
Blade
Lightning Girl
A - Azure Striker
Crimson Apple Masterpiece Built!

MLNO Reputation 100

Awards:
Team: Network Strikers
Purpose: To stay DETERMINED

Bird... GO!

« Reply #25 on: February 03, 2012, 09:48:20 am »

Let's see... This is where I come in, since I've been playing a stat-based game recently(Same one as when we were thinking up new stuff for R3. =P)...

Dexterity: Dexterity represents your character’s reflexes, aim, and agility.  Add your Dexterity score to damage for ranged attacks, such as those from phasers or disruptors, as well as to Dexterity-related skill checks (such as dodging debris from an exploding console or piloting a starfighter).  In addition, for every 5 Dexterity points you gain, you will _____.
No clue for this. I'd say speed, but that should be part of the main abilities... =/

Mind: Mind represents your character’s mental prowess; their intelligence, wisdom, and charisma.  Your Mind score applies to damage caused by certain types of species-based attacks (i.e. aggressive uses of telepathy), as well as to Mind-related skill checks (such as diagnosing an alien disease, programming a computer to repair complex machinery, or plotting a ship’s navigational course).  In addition, for every 5 Mind points you gain, you will ______.
Going off strength's HP boost, this should be Mana or something similar; however, I have no clue what you're planning for that. =P

Also, just curious, for the Redeemed Borg, we go off their base species, right? So, say, we'd start with human if we're like Kaze, right? Jut checking.
Report Spam   Logged

I'm a girl - I'm a lesbian.

-==Blade's Story Library==-
-==Blade's RPG Library==-
A fresh start for the signature, aside for the libraries.

Blade is laughing ominously RUN FOR YOUR LIVES!!!
The forum is a girl? 0_o
I imagine new people coming to the forum expecting to see discussion about LEGO, only to see RPGs full of deranged characters and insane people talking about cheese and brains.
I'm beet. I don't think I'll do homework tonight.
So, you're a vegetable? Tongue
Flipz
Inventor

MLNO Reputation 2

« Reply #26 on: February 03, 2012, 01:07:44 pm »

Let's see... This is where I come in, since I've been playing a stat-based game recently(Same one as when we were thinking up new stuff for R3. =P)...

No clue for this. I'd say speed, but that should be part of the main abilities... =/

Going off strength's HP boost, this should be Mana or something similar; however, I have no clue what you're planning for that. =P

Also, just curious, for the Redeemed Borg, we go off their base species, right? So, say, we'd start with human if we're like Kaze, right? Jut checking.

Oh, oops, I figured that out, actually.  I should post it here, but...I'll just link you to the Brick Universe topic:
http://www.brickuniverse.net/site/forums/topic/creative-corner/star-trek-rpg

And yeah, Redeemed Borg starts off with base species first, though it's kind of a unique situation, since it's Prologue-only.

Speaking of that link, I need to add Trill now and then figure out the stats for the Changelings...I know three of their scores (HP, AP, and IP), but the others will need to be based entirely off their "default" Odo-style form.  Hmm...
Report Spam   Logged

Fallen London Profile!
MsRowdyRedhead
Exciting Poster

MLNO Reputation 100

Awards:

« Reply #27 on: February 03, 2012, 02:30:13 pm »

IT's way to complicated for me...
Report Spam   Logged

Flipz
Inventor

MLNO Reputation 2

« Reply #28 on: February 03, 2012, 03:03:44 pm »

Allow me to post a TL;DR:

Quick Start Guide
Name:
Species: Determines base stats, gives Special Skill options
Job class: Adds stat bonuses, gives Special Skill options
Stats: Base stats are determined by species.  Use extra Stat Points to increase stats.
     Strength (Str): Use for Strength challenges and melee damage.  Get +1 HP for every 5 Str.
     Dexterity (Dex): Use for Dexterity challenges and ranged damage.  Get +1 AP for every 5 Dex.
    Mind (Mind): Use for Mind challenges and psychic/"magic" damage.  Get +1 IP for every 5 Mind.
     Health Points (HP): Health.  Hit 0 HP and you're KO'd.
     Action Points (AP): Spend to perform "complicated" actions in Battle or Challenges (i.e. hacking, jury-rigged repairs, first aid, etc.)
    Imagination Points: Spend on species-specific psychic or "magic" skills (i.e. telepathy, shapeshifting, etc.).  Some species don't have this.
Special Skill: A "Limit Break" that occurs when a Phoenix is rolled during a Battle or a Challenge.  Class and species determine your options, and you may switch your Special Skill between Assignments.

Most of the other stuff is either a codex of different options (i.e. species list, Special Skill list, etc.) or else an explanation of the way challenges and battle damage actually work in case you're interested (and/or want to be able to check the GM's calculations in case they screw up).  Wink
« Last Edit: February 03, 2012, 03:05:56 pm by Flipz » Report Spam   Logged

Fallen London Profile!
Flipz
Inventor

MLNO Reputation 2

« Reply #29 on: February 03, 2012, 03:20:17 pm »

Red, here's what I have so far for your stats (I still have to work out a couple other scores)

Etain (Played by MsRowdyRedhead)
Female Trill/Changeling hybrid Medical Officer
Str: _ Dex: _ Mind: _
HP: 5/5 AP: 6/6 IP: 6/6
Special Skill: Shapeshift

And that's (pretty much) it!

Report Spam   Logged

Fallen London Profile!
MsRowdyRedhead
Exciting Poster

MLNO Reputation 100

Awards:

« Reply #30 on: February 03, 2012, 03:20:57 pm »

What does that MEAN???

what is hp?? ap??   ip??

why is this getting so complicated?
« Last Edit: February 03, 2012, 03:33:49 pm by MsRowdyRedhead » Report Spam   Logged

Flipz
Inventor

MLNO Reputation 2

« Reply #31 on: February 19, 2012, 01:03:08 am »

OK, since no one can understand what any of my stat system means (and frankly, I'm starting to wonder as well), I'm going to run a quick battle on a Writeboard.  (For those who don't know, it's like a forum thread, but private; you don't need an account or anything to participate, you just need the board link and the password, which I'll provide now.)  We're using the Heroica system from Eurobricks because mine is a broken mess and by using Heroica we can see what we like about it and what we don't like and modify things from there. Wink

Writeboard link (this is a different one from the rules construction one, I'm keeping them separate):
link
Password is "RPG Test" WITH the caps but WITHOUT the quotes or spaces.  (Hopefully that'll keep any roving spambots at bay.)

Please join, and good luck!  Remember, this is solely so I can get ideas, so even if you normally don't like "fighty" RPGs or RPGs at all, I'd appreciate you joining this test battle and giving me feedback!

Report Spam   Logged

Fallen London Profile!
MsRowdyRedhead
Exciting Poster

MLNO Reputation 100

Awards:

« Reply #32 on: February 19, 2012, 02:45:20 am »

DUDE.. there's PAGES of rules and info...

*Etain looks at pages of rules and info and slits throat, bleeding out within seconds =P*
« Last Edit: February 19, 2012, 03:16:42 am by MsRowdyRedhead » Report Spam   Logged

Blade
Lightning Girl
A - Azure Striker

MLNO Reputation 100

Awards:

Bird... GO!

« Reply #33 on: February 19, 2012, 09:18:28 am »

Flipz, I can understand pretty much any stat that's put out there. It comes with playing many RPGs(The actual video game ones, not online text based ones. =P) over the years.

I'm neutral on the stats, because I do kinda like them at times(I believe the perfect real 'merger' between Text based and Stat based RPGs is one that has stats as a guideline, and to indicate how much fight you have left to prevent fights from going on and on... But with the HP stat personally moderated, so that someone doesn't have to roll dice every two moments, and people can RP the fights normally. However, they'd still gain EXP and such. Pretty much a Real Time RPG, instead of a Turn Based one. Like the Tales series. Wink)... I also understand that there's a time and place for everything, and that some people don't like these very much(Case in point: BZP.).

Just to say that we've talked it all over, as again, I'm neutral on this, there isn't a way to have the stat system be implemented for everywhere else, but not here, is there? I'm simply curious on that. =)
Report Spam   Logged

The forum is a girl? 0_o
I imagine new people coming to the forum expecting to see discussion about LEGO, only to see RPGs full of deranged characters and insane people talking about cheese and brains.
Alien_Ant2
Apprentice

MLNO Reputation 0

Purpose: Play the PCG RPG Cheesy

Apple User Mobile User Level 2
« Reply #34 on: February 19, 2012, 04:27:26 pm »

Alrighty, I'm on your private thread, just waiting for you. Cheesy
Report Spam   Logged
Flipz
Inventor

MLNO Reputation 2

« Reply #35 on: February 19, 2012, 08:47:39 pm »

Just to say that we've talked it all over, as again, I'm neutral on this, there isn't a way to have the stat system be implemented for everywhere else, but not here, is there? I'm simply curious on that. =)

I'd love to do that, but I do need some justification for the EB side.  So I don't get accused of BSing everyone there. Undecided  Percieved godmoding from players would be a VERY quick way to get the RPG shut down.

I mean, I could just keep everyone separate, like you do with DoaH between here and BZP, but then that sort of defeats the "you expand the world" thing I was going for by starting this in the first place. Undecided

And of course, even totally ditching the stat system here, I still have to make it up anyway so it's there for EB.  And with my fail skills at describing stuff...

I'm really failing to emphasize how simple this is (supposed to be), and I'm very, very sorry for that.  Allow me to caveman-speak for a moment on the process of all stat-based interactions:
1.) Pick class.
2.) Pick target.
3.) GM rolls die.
4.) GM tells you what happens.
5.) Repeat until end of battles.

Outside of battles:
Do the same thing you've always done here.

Really, the problem comes from the fact that I can trust the people here to play fair but I can't trust the random noobs who'll wander along on EB.  Undecided  That, and the fact that I don't want to completely rip off the Heroica system, I want this to be at least somewhat unique.
Report Spam   Logged

Fallen London Profile!
Blade
Lightning Girl
A - Azure Striker

MLNO Reputation 100

Awards:

Bird... GO!

« Reply #36 on: February 19, 2012, 09:26:54 pm »

BZP doesn't have DoaH, though, it have the Zelda RPG. You're thinking of RPGM. =P

But that's understandable. I'm wondering, though... If there can be a way to allow things to go easier, because once you implement stats, you'll need to be on a lot more. Just thinking of you as well. =P
Report Spam   Logged

The forum is a girl? 0_o
Flipz
Inventor

MLNO Reputation 2

« Reply #37 on: February 20, 2012, 12:52:14 am »

BZP doesn't have DoaH, though, it have the Zelda RPG. You're thinking of RPGM. =P

But that's understandable. I'm wondering, though... If there can be a way to allow things to go easier, because once you implement stats, you'll need to be on a lot more. Just thinking of you as well. =P

I should be on a lot more anyway, I just procrastinate too much. Cheesy But actually, stats will make battles and the like easier; once everyone involved posts their action (or 24 hours passes from the latest post), I run the next part of the battle, post it, and wait for the next group.  Actual roleplaying would be enhanced, because while checking for the battles to complete, I'd see the out-of-battle posts more often and actually remember to reply.   Roll Eyes Tongue
Report Spam   Logged

Fallen London Profile!
MsRowdyRedhead
Exciting Poster

MLNO Reputation 100

Awards:

« Reply #38 on: February 20, 2012, 01:08:46 am »

It shouldn't require study to play.. especially if you hope to include novice players. Rules should be simple, easy to follow, laid out in a logical sequence.
Same for stats if they must be included.. NO more than a few lines..

LU weapons stats were very easy to follow and compare.. I know that's different.. but it's a good example.
Report Spam   Logged

Blade
Lightning Girl
A - Azure Striker

MLNO Reputation 100

Awards:

Bird... GO!

« Reply #39 on: February 20, 2012, 08:41:26 am »

Flipz: Technically it might make battles 'easier'; but only in the fact that there's stats involved.(Just trying to mention about both sides here)

For the Stats side, battles are quick and easy, providing everyone's on at the same time. For simple text based games, battles are even quicker, due to the fact that if everyone fighting is on at the same time, they can just react without having to wait for a die roll. Basically like combat over in DoaH.

Point about seeing the posts more taken, though. =P
Report Spam   Logged

The forum is a girl? 0_o
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

LEGO® is a trademark of the LEGO Group, which does not sponsor, authorize or endorse this site.
Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum