News Box
WELCOME TO MLNO!!! ... ENJOY YOUR TIME HERE! ... WHILE YOU ARE HERE, CHECK OUT OUR RPGS!
My LEGO Nexus Organization
March 28, 2024, 11:07:03 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Guests: Please register and look around! Tell your friends. Registration is instant, but you'll have to wait for an active admin to get online to approve your account, which should take less than 24 hours.  If you do not receive your approval email, just try to login. We are having issues with the automated email system.

Home   Forum   Help Arcade Gallery Rules The MOC Corner Staff List Login Register Chat  

RPGs: Basic Info and FAQs.

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: RPGs: Basic Info and FAQs.  (Read 540 times)
The Truth
Ace RPG Master
MLNO Forum Moderator
Veteran

MLNO Reputation 100

Awards:
Team: No Team
Purpose: Flower Garden 2/3, now on my DeviantART!

Yes, my Lord.

Badges: (View All)
Tenth Year Anniversary Ninth Year Anniversary Eighth Year Anniversary
« on: April 28, 2013, 10:33:52 pm »

<====What is an RPG?====>

An RPG is short for "Role Playing Game". In a RPG, a player takes control of one or more characters, which they may create on their own. Each RPG is different in terms of how characters work, of course, but the basic idea is the same.

<====What Genres can RPGs be?====>

Any! For instance, my own RPGs here fall into several categories: S.H.I.R.A. Squad is Mecha, Casters is Sci-Fi, Alone is lite survival-horror, and Centurion is just weird.

<====I.C N.P.Cs O.O.C? H.U.H?====>

RPGs do indeed have their own unique terms, but it's actually fairly simple:

IC: In character. This is what you use for when your character is involved. (Example: "IC: Jennifer slowly climbed over the fence.")

OOC: Out of Character. This is for you. (Example: "OOC: I'll be back in a few days, can someone else control my character until then?")

NPC: Non-Player Character. These are the characters controlled by the GM. (See below)

PC: Player Character. This is, as the name implies, a character controlled by a player.

GM: Game-Master. The person in charge of the RPG. Not all RPGs have gamemasters (Space Wars, for example, has no real story and is instead controlled by what the players choose to do), but when there is a gamemaster, they're in charge. If a gamemaster wishes to play, they'll do it through the NPCs. (Or through a character of their own, called a GMPC)

God-Moding: Avoid doing this. This is basically doing something unrealistic to make yourself win. For example, assume "Alice" is player 1's character and "Bob" is player 2's character. Player 1 could godmode by typing the following: "Bob died." Obviously, player 2 would not be happy about this, and godmode posts are generally ignored (and godmoders may be banned from that specific RPG if they keep doing this).

<==== How do I make an RPG? ====>

Step one is an idea. What would it be about? How would it work?

Step two is to make a topic for it. When making an RPG topic, please make it like this: RPG Name [RPG][Age Rating]

In the topic, give us an intro post, a sample of the character sheet (see below for an example), and the rules.

Then, just get others to play!

<==== How do I join an existing RPG?====>
Simple. Just PM the Gamemaster per their instructions. (Most Gamemasters request a character profile)
NOTE: If the RPG's been going on for a while, you might need to ask someone to explain the story so far to you. Most gamemasters are happy to do so.

<==== Examples ====>

Here's a typical character sheet:

Player: Bob
Name: John Doe
Appearance: (Some people write what they look like, others draw sketches, others write "I'll fill this in later".)
Bio: (Use this to tell us about the character!)

Other common entries on character sheets are "Species", "Faction", and so on, depending on the RPG.

Typical Post:
Quote from: Alice
IC: Mary dodged away from the stranger's attack, sweat streaming down her brow.
OOC: I have an idea for how this will go, can you PM me?

Quote from: Bob
IC: The mysterious figure pressed the attack, aiming to push Mary over the cliff.
OOC: Sure.

Third person past-tense is the most common way to write IC posts, but not the only way! Here are some other styles:
Quote from: Alice
IC: I stepped backwards, carefully surveying my surroundings.
Quote from: Bob
IC: Fred steps forward awkwardly, offering a cup of tea to his beautiful guest.

Choose which style fits you best!

« Last Edit: August 03, 2013, 10:40:45 pm by The Truth » Report Spam   Logged

Quote from: Albert Einstein
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits.
Try SWTOR free via this link and we both get prizes.

SWTOR info:
Server: The Harbinger. Name: Pythirr.
Class: Sith Inquisitor (Assassin). Alignment: Light Side V.
Level: 60! Legacy level: 50. Current planet:  Yavin IV dailies. Current OP: The Ravagers. Legacy Surname: Falton
Collector's Edition, VIP, Founder, PTS 1.2 and 1.3, RotHC Pre-order, , SOR Beta Tester, and Pre-Order player.
Other characters: Ullonit (Agent), Ka'laana (Consular), Hasko (Trooper), Vítrial (Warrior), Massacha (Smuggler), Nassius (Bounty Hunter), Liralee (Knight).
The Truth
Ace RPG Master
MLNO Forum Moderator
Veteran

MLNO Reputation 100

Awards:
Team: No Team
Purpose: Flower Garden 2/3, now on my DeviantART!

Yes, my Lord.

Badges: (View All)
Tenth Year Anniversary Ninth Year Anniversary Eighth Year Anniversary
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2013, 10:48:14 pm »

Any questions about how RPGs work? Post them here!
« Last Edit: May 03, 2013, 09:03:22 am by The Truth » Report Spam   Logged

Quote from: Albert Einstein
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits.
Try SWTOR free via this link and we both get prizes.

SWTOR info:
Server: The Harbinger. Name: Pythirr.
Class: Sith Inquisitor (Assassin). Alignment: Light Side V.
Level: 60! Legacy level: 50. Current planet:  Yavin IV dailies. Current OP: The Ravagers. Legacy Surname: Falton
Collector's Edition, VIP, Founder, PTS 1.2 and 1.3, RotHC Pre-order, , SOR Beta Tester, and Pre-Order player.
Other characters: Ullonit (Agent), Ka'laana (Consular), Hasko (Trooper), Vítrial (Warrior), Massacha (Smuggler), Nassius (Bounty Hunter), Liralee (Knight).
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

LEGO® is a trademark of the LEGO Group, which does not sponsor, authorize or endorse this site.
Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum