News Box
WELCOME TO MLNO!!! ... ENJOY YOUR TIME HERE! ... WHILE YOU ARE HERE, CHECK OUT OUR RPGS!
My LEGO Nexus Organization
March 29, 2024, 09:55:11 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Guests: Please register and look around! Tell your friends. Registration is instant, but you'll have to wait for an active admin to get online to approve your account, which should take less than 24 hours.  If you do not receive your approval email, just try to login. We are having issues with the automated email system.

Home   Forum   Help Arcade Gallery Rules The MOC Corner Staff List Login Register Chat  

College Tips?

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: College Tips?  (Read 967 times)
korchi12
NeSu Leader
JuniorBuilder

MLNO Reputation 1

Purpose: Complete my focus...

Badges: (View All)
Seventh Year Anniversary Sixth Year Anniversary Search
« on: August 26, 2012, 02:49:30 am »

So Im starting up college in the next few weeks and was wondering if people have any good surviving freshman year tips? Just thought I would see what people had to say about it and their experiences.
Report Spam   Logged

My Deviant check out my Art!<br /><br />2nd place in KF\'s Contest #6: MLN Avatars
mtmerrick
RS Leader
Old Timer

MLNO Reputation 10

Awards:
Team: No Team
Purpose: Rebuild

Living in the future, today.

Fifth Year Anniversary 100 Posts in one day Search
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2012, 03:17:38 am »

starting college spring semester (hopefully), so the answers to this topic are relevant to my interests =)
Report Spam   Logged

Talk To Me          Quote Archive
I've got no place to go, I've got nowhere to run.
They love to watch me fall, they think they know it all.
I'm a nightmare, a disaster, that's what they always said.
I'm a lost cause, not a hero, but I'll make it on my own.
I've gotta prove them wrong - It's me against the world.
It is, in the end, whatever the **** I want it to be.
And when I'm through with it, it's gonna blow a hole this wide
straight through the worlds own idea of itself.
Come on, lets go break their arms.
Jade
Network Striker
Inventor

MLNO Reputation 18

Awards:

..darling I'm a nightmare dressed like a daydream

Seventh Year Anniversary Sixth Year Anniversary Fifth Year Anniversary
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2012, 12:34:39 am »

Homework is more helpful than you think, most teachers make their exams off of  problems from the textbook.

Cafeteria food only tastes good on the first week of school. Never eat it after then, EVER! Its a trap!!

Campus maps are your best friend. Being late for class because you couldn't find the right room sets a bad example for freshmen.

Try to get involved in groups on campus. Not only are they a great way to meet new people, but it also looks good on resumes!

Try to show up early for class. Several of my professors gave out information before class even started, and they didn't repeat it for the stragglers.

1st year engagement adviser counselors are the most helpful tools. They will go above and beyond to ensure your success in college. Try and meet with one at least 2 times a semester (beginning and end).

Not sure if you're going to run into this problem, but parking usually sucks on college campuses. Be prepared, dry runs are very helpful so you can get a feel of traffic/parking.

Energy drinks will NOT get you through finals week... Sleep will!!

Just some random thoughts about college.... If you have any specific questions I could answer them for you Smiley
Report Spam   Logged
Jade
Network Striker
Inventor

MLNO Reputation 18

Awards:

..darling I'm a nightmare dressed like a daydream

Seventh Year Anniversary Sixth Year Anniversary Fifth Year Anniversary
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2012, 12:54:52 pm »

Yes, I'm double posting.... but oh well. This was too funny to pass up! (and it doesn't relate to my previous post in ANY way, hence the reason for the DP)

Note: this is for entertainment purposes only, and does not express the views of the poster.
Report Spam   Logged
MsRowdyRedhead
Sage Mentor......... (renowned for profound wisdom)
MLNO Forum Moderator
Exciting Poster

MLNO Reputation 100

Awards:
Purpose: Harmony

The forum can't be the same without our friends.

Tenth Year Anniversary Ninth Year Anniversary Eighth Year Anniversary
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2012, 07:32:13 pm »

lolz..
Report Spam   Logged

The dream is free.. the work to achieve it is sold separately.
OOC: An OOC expression of horror would confirm your humanity nicely. Wink
MLNO.  The only forum I know where expressions like the one above are commonplace. Tongue
Everyone is frustrating in their own special way.
"Right is right, even if everyone is against it. Wrong is wrong, even if everyone is for it." ♥
"If you're not havin a good day, change your mind!!"
Ace
Network Striker
Initiate

MLNO Reputation 0

Brevity is the soul of wit.

Sixth Year Anniversary Fifth Year Anniversary Level 5
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2012, 12:13:04 pm »

My tips:

There is nothing professors like more when students are engaged in their learning. Don't be afraid to ask questions, before, during, or after class. Profs are there to help you succeed.

If you are commuting to campus (like me), parking on the first day of class is going to suck. Go early.

RENT YOUR BOOKS OR BUY SECONDHAND IF YOU WANT TO SAVE MONEY!

Campus clubs, intramural sports, and the like are all there to get you mingling with fellow students. Join a few that interest you and go to their activities.

Make sure you read the syllabuses your professors give you. They contain the class schedule, homework assignments, and other important information you will be referring to often during the semester.

Above all, remember that YOU are ultimately responsible for getting your degree and doing well in college. If you don't go to your classes and don't do your work, you have nobody to blame but yourself. Sorry if this seems crude, but it is absolutely true, and will keep being true for the rest of your life. Be proactive. Be smart. You are not owed anything in life, and nobody is going to give you anything (especially money) for free.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2012, 12:15:16 pm by Ace » Report Spam   Logged

elliwhi1008751
Journeyman

MLNO Reputation 0

Purpose: Just hanging around and catching up with old friends Cheesy

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2013, 11:21:42 am »

Ade gave some very good advice in the last point. Cheesy
Report Spam   Logged

Rank 10. Retired from MLN but willing to help lower ranks! Russian, pianist, clarinetist, long jumper and hurdler.

MY MLN PAGE: http://mln.lego.com/en-gb/PublicView/elliwhi1008751.aspx
MsRowdyRedhead
MLNO Forum Moderator
Exciting Poster

MLNO Reputation 100

Awards:

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2013, 12:36:24 pm »

Indeed
Report Spam   Logged

MLNO.  The only forum I know where expressions like the one above are commonplace. Tongue
"Right is right, even if everyone is against it. Wrong is wrong, even if everyone is for it." ♥
Ace
Network Striker
Initiate

MLNO Reputation 0

« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2013, 03:37:03 pm »

Ade gave some very good advice in the last point. Cheesy

Yep. I remember my freshman year of college. I had gone to public school for the past twelve years before that, and I was used to yard duties ushering students to class, calling in sick, forgotten books being dropped off at the switchboard by parents, parent-teacher conferences, and the like. Education was compulsory, and if you weren't in school or were doing poorly, somebody was going to hunt you down and get to the bottom of things. That's just not true in college.

There are no yard duties yelling at you to go to class (though there are helpers around on the first few days of class so you don't get lost). You can e-mail your teachers that you're too sick to go to class if you want, but that might not be an excuse and your grade will suffer. Forgot your books or assignments? Too bad - your teacher may be nice and accept it late (with a grade reduction), or s/he might not accept it at all and you'll get a big fat zero for a grade. You're not going to class or are flunking your classes? Well, unless you have a scholarship or some other agreement with the school where good grades are mandatory to keep attending school, nobody will care. Sure, the registrar will advise you of your lack of credits earned, but as long as you are paying your tuition and other expenses, the college couldn't care less.

You can always spot the kids who are totally unprepared for college. "But I didn't know!" is like their catchphrase.  Tongue It's your job to know. Ignorance of the law is no excuse, and so is ignorance of university policy.
Report Spam   Logged

Micah477
Initiate

MLNO Reputation 3

Purpose: Improvement

« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2013, 03:41:27 am »

Ace is giving some great stuff here so I'm just going to add on a little. I haven't graduated yet, so I'm still kind of a noob at this, but I can at least warn you about some of the stuff that ended up throwing me for a loop my first year.

Warning in advance for poor English skills; I'm a math major >_>

1) You are not special. Harsh right? In high-school I was all A's, slacked on homework, didn't study, but still flew in front of the herd with rainbows at my side. Once I got to college I realized everyone could have done or did that in high-school. These were all wicked smart kids, and they were all actually studying and giving 100% in their homework. It took me up until the first exam to realize that, as crazy as this may sound, you need to work hard for those grades, nothing is a free A. You've got to take good notes, organize everything well so that you can study later, actually study later, and then work hard in your homework.

Two things branch off of this for my next points.

1a) Find a study group. Again, you're not special, you can't, and really shouldn't even try, doing this all on your own. It's humbling to ask a classmate how to do something, but hey, the teacher isn't exactly living next door. Freshmen year I had a lot of trouble getting comfortable asking questions to other classmates. You can try to figure it out on your own, and hey, you probably will, but a fellow student could probably easily explain it in a fraction of that time.

1b) Homework is important. Depending on the class, 30-50% of your grade is honestly just effort points. What I mean by that is, you can bomb Calc I, just not know anything, get stage-fright on tests, etc. but if you actually put forth an effort and did the homework, readings, extra practice problems, and so on, you have a solid 40% to lean on. So if you're getting 50's on the exams, you can still pass that class with a C, and if you're truly putting forth an effort, I can guarantee you you won't be getting anywhere close to a 50 on an exam anyway. All throughout freshmen year, you'll hear people say "I can't believe I got a __ on that exam, I studied SOOOOOOOOO hard!" when in reality they're just cramming from 10 until 3 the night/morning before. If you do your homework, and fully understand how to do your homework, you should understand the course as a whole.

2) Read the syllabus. It's just stupid not to and something that I will forever regret not doing. Don't skim it, it's like 3 pages. Just fully read it at least once, don't let silly things catch you by surprise.

3) Teachers are scary. Yeah, it's true, teachers can be terrifying. Some students can make friends with teachers, but once you go to ask the teacher a question, BOOM, instant fear. But in all seriousness, ask your teacher questions. Be THAT kid, swallow some pride, you're here because you don't know everything, so why should people expect you not to ask questions. One of the most shared fears I have heard is "If I ask a question, the teacher might ask me something later to make sure I'm understanding that, or know how to do that process, or work such and such problem." Well, that's good. If a teacher asks you to solve a problem, and you can't give any input to that problem... well then they'll explain it to you/the class in more detail. It can be a little embarrassing, but again, you're hear to learn.

4) Stressing is bad. So uhm, yeah, don't do that. One line of thought that helped me was
"Is there anything I can do about this situation."
"No" --> "Then stop worrying about it"
"Yes"-->"Then go do it and stop taking time worrying about it."

5) Don't use comic sans, apparently English teachers don't have much of a sense of humor when they don't give guidelines on which font to use...

6) Use EVERY minute. You'll immediately find yourself pressed for time with how busy you'll get, so never find yourself doing nothing.Finished homework and have a quiz in your next class, start cramming. I don't care if you studied for the past 2 days, try to find any little extra bit of information you can. Overslept and have homework due in 10 minutes. That's enough time to put your name, assignment#, and at least 2 of the problems down with a good amount of fast written work and answers jotted down for a few others. You may get a 1/10, but that's not a 0/10 Cheesy
Have 20 minutes in between classes? Get to your next lecture hall early and sleep a little.

That's all I have for now. Find time to meet friends, explore campus, and make memories.
Report Spam   Logged

Ace
Network Striker
Initiate

MLNO Reputation 0

« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2013, 10:36:34 pm »

^^^^ All great stuff (haha your English is better than some of my professors')!

Cramming for quizzes and midterms and anything else only puts a limited amount of information in your short-term memory; at the beginning, you might remember vocab and other terms, but by mid-test you will probably be drawing a blank. I do, at least.

There is an art to studying. Don't do more work than you need to. Start by figuring out just what you professors are looking for. What do they repeat the most? What do they stress? Take thorough and legible notes on these, because you will probably see them again in a test.

You have probably spent hundreds of dollars on textbooks. Your profs have probably all assigned you a lot to read. Unless you have an eidetic memory, you are not going to remember every single word in those books, nor are you probably going to be able to read every single page for every single class. You need to "read between the lines". A lot of textbooks will bold important vocab words for you, which makes it that easier to see what's important. If your textbooks don't do that, find the "meat" of the subject. What does the author/professor really want you to know? Ignore superfluous details and get the who, what, when, where, and why (it might not be all of them) down. This will keep you from highlighting your entire textbook!

Add those two together and do what you can to memorize, but don't lose yourself to stress. Go to sleep at a reasonable time before tests (you can party later) and eat a good meal. Lethargy and hunger don't help anyone.  Wink

Report Spam   Logged

korchi12
NeSu Leader
JuniorBuilder

MLNO Reputation 1

Purpose: Complete my focus...

Seventh Year Anniversary Sixth Year Anniversary Search
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2013, 11:32:56 am »

Thanks for all the advice guys! I wasn't expecting so much useful information and it really helped me in my freshman year. Im a sophmore now and am surviving college! Math is pretty much the only subject Im absolutely terrible with but aside from that college has been a smooth transition. Although having almost no free time between classes, studying, clubs, and sports is pretty draining -_-

Anyways I thought I would throw an update on here since it has been about a year and a half since I posted this and let everyone know their advice was and has been very helpful for me. Thanks guys!
Report Spam   Logged

My Deviant check out my Art!<br /><br />2nd place in KF\'s Contest #6: MLN Avatars
MsRowdyRedhead
MLNO Forum Moderator
Exciting Poster

MLNO Reputation 100

Awards:

« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2013, 01:03:40 pm »

Great to hear Korchi!!
Report Spam   Logged

Flipz
Inventor

MLNO Reputation 2

Purpose: Oh, just to hang out occasionally.

Yeah, I have that effect on people.

Level 6 Tenth Year Anniversary Ninth Year Anniversary
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2013, 01:04:22 am »

Some more tips (these are generally of the "well, duh!" variety, but you'd be surprised how many people mess them up):

*When you're given a reading assignment?  ACTUALLY READ IT.  I've lost count of the number of fools I find swarm after me for my notes (I tend to have a somewhat major voice in most of my classes, mostly via asking helpful questions that everyone else was thinking but was too afraid to ask and by actually understanding what's going on in class--again, mostly by actually putting in a little bit of effort).  I've adopted a policy of, rather than letting people copy my notes (which tend to be gibberish anyway--I'm not the best transcriptionist, so my notes are fragments that only work for me), I'll instead ask leading questions designed to emphasize the important points and make them memorable because THEY are the ones remembering the info--things like, "do you remember what 'putting the devil back into hell' means?"  For the people who legitimately paid attention and just need a little help?  It's usually exactly what they need, and I've been told it helps them FAR more than just vocab lists and notes.  But inevitably, there's two or three people who CLEARLY did not do the reading--at all--and probably didn't show up to class, either.  I tell them, "I'm sorry, but if you didn't actually do the reading, nothing I tell you is going to help."

*SHOW UP FOR CLASS.  Seriously.  Perfect attendance is an EASY, EASY way to get on the teacher's good side--it shows you're actually trying to learn, which is really the entire point of almost every single class (the actual content isn't NEARLY as important as the attitude that it's worth having a general knowledge of things and that it's worth learning how to have an open mind and learn).  This is one of two easy ways to make sure that, if your grade is just on the borderline, it's more likely to get rounded up than rounded down.

*BE MEMORABLE.  In a good way, obviously, but if you develop a presence in class with regards to paying attention and asking intelligent (or at least, necessary) questions, it'll, again, demonstrate you're actually trying to learn, and put you on the upper side of that borderline.

*Actually, just in general: CARE.  If you care about what you're learning, not only will your attitude earn you better grades, but it'll be easier to actually learn stuff, too.  Also, if you don't care, why are you paying to take these classes?  (Yes, this is even true of GE's--barring some system with ONLY one choice for a given GE area, there must be SOME reason you picked this GE class in the field of physical science instead of some other one in the same field.  Find that reason, and embrace the heck out of it.

*Choose your teachers/classes wisely.  It's a pain, but pore through that schedule looking for classes and teachers that will intrinsically motivate you to show up for them.  The general ratio of "things I do" to "things I actually like" is generally going to be 80-20, but with some basic effort you can easily tweak those odds a bit more into your favor.

*DON'T LET YOUR GRADES (OR MAJOR) DEFINE YOU.  Just...trust me.  Don't. Sad

*DON'T LET YOUR PAST OR YOUR FAMILY DEFINE YOU.  There's a cultural myth that you're supposed to have figured most of your identity out by the time you're in college.  This is false.  You're not going to figure out who you are until the day you die (and not even then), and college will throw that in your face every chance it gets.  Do yourself a favor--be open to change, and never stop loving yourself, even if it's not quite the same self you thought you'd be.

*DON'T LET ANYONE ELSE DEFINE YOU, EITHER.  You are you.  You know and will learn what makes you happy.  Do that, not what some teacher or classmate or romantic partner tells you to do.  Follow your bliss, and try to become YOUR fullest self, not some other person's image of what your fullest self should look like.  Remember, you are good enough exactly as you are--you never need to live up to somebody else.

*BE SMART.  Basic practices of responsibility and professional conduct will get you a LONG way.

*Schedule regular meetings with your academic adviser(s).  They will help you a LOT with figuring out your class schedule--just make sure you have SOME idea of what you want already, and prepare to go back three or four times to change your plans as you and your circumstances change.

*If your school offers psychological counseling services, take them.  Schedule meetings early and regularly.  Make this a habit--it's a LOT easier to start early, BEFORE you've loaded yourself down with extra baggage (beyond what you're taking with you into college already).

*BECOME A THEATRE MAJOR imeanwhat. Tongue
Report Spam   Logged

3DS Friend Code: 3625-9584-9417 (Pokemon X Friend Safari: Electric-type, Pachirisu, Electabuzz, Huh?)
Fallen London Profile!
Joining through the link on my page earns me coffee.
Welcome, Delicious Friend!
MsRowdyRedhead
MLNO Forum Moderator
Exciting Poster

MLNO Reputation 100

Awards:

« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2013, 03:15:20 am »

^^^^ Excellent!
Report Spam   Logged

Mahri828
Inventor

MLNO Reputation 2

Purpose: Incognito

Let's end this...

« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2013, 06:24:43 pm »

I see everyone is posting huge text walls about this = D And that's great! Personally, I like to refer to just a few serious points:

1. SHOW UP TO CLASS. Cannot stress this enough, the same as everyone else. You skip once, and you get addicted. Trust me.

2. Everyone says do your homework, which is a very good thing to do. However, it is a thousand times better to finish half your homework and understand what you did than to finish all of it and not remember how to do anything. Grades aren't everything.

3. Relax. I've found that in classes where I get a 3.0 I usually understand the material and remember more of the class than I do in classes where I've gotten a 4.0. Little things count.
Report Spam   Logged

It seems in every hero's time they find an enemy that defeats them in battle. Their reply? Look up in the pouring rain, and chase down their nemisis for a showdown.
Ace
Network Striker
Initiate

MLNO Reputation 0

« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2013, 03:54:15 pm »

Quote from: Mahri828
3. Relax. I've found that in classes where I get a 3.0 I usually understand the material and remember more of the class than I do in classes where I've gotten a 4.0. Little things count.

And as far as grade point averages go, your employers (unless you are applying for a very competitive and very specific job where GPAs might be the deciding factor) are not going to care if you have a 4.0. None of the jobs I have ever applied for or held required my GPA for hiring purposes. When it came to education I was asked if I had a high school diploma/equivalent, if I earned a degree or if I am a student currently trying to earn a degree and when I will be graduating, and what my major is. My Dean's List award will certainly look good on my resume, but they just want to see if you have a degree and if your skill set fits the positions they need to fill. Getting an A+ in Western Civilization doesn't nearly mean as much as your proficiency with Word, or if you have prior work experience (which I know is an endless loop of I need experience to get a job but I don't have a job so I can't get experience), or if you are prompt and polite and a good team worker.

You don't even necessarily have to find a job in your major to work in. My dad majored in Theater, but he worked in education (first teaching theater, but then rising through the ranks of administration) and nobody gave him any grief about it. The degree is what people want to see, in his case, his Bachelor's and Master's.

And this doesn't mean you should just bomb all of your classes and barely scrape by. Take college seriously, but don't kill yourself over it. I care much more about earning A's in classes pertaining to my major than biology or other general ed classes that I will never have utilize after college.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

LEGO® is a trademark of the LEGO Group, which does not sponsor, authorize or endorse this site.
Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum