News Box
WELCOME TO MLNO!!! ... ENJOY YOUR TIME HERE! ... WHILE YOU ARE HERE, CHECK OUT OUR RPGS!
My LEGO Nexus Organization
April 19, 2024, 06:04:49 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to My Lego Nexus Organization! A LEGO Universe, LEGO and My LEGO Network Fan Site! The LEGO Company does not sponsor, authorize, or endorse this site.-- New? Check out the welcome forum and get started! Got questions? PM Blade, or one of the other active members of the staff.

Home   Forum   Help Arcade Gallery Rules The MOC Corner Staff List Login Register Chat  

Nvidia introduces new gaming console

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Nvidia introduces new gaming console  (Read 570 times)
MsRowdyRedhead
Sage Mentor......... (renowned for profound wisdom)
A - MLNO Featured Admin of '08
Exciting Poster

MLNO Reputation 100

Awards:
Team: No Team
Purpose: Harmony

The forum can't be the same without our friends.

Badges: (View All)
Tenth Year Anniversary Ninth Year Anniversary Eighth Year Anniversary
« on: January 07, 2013, 01:15:32 pm »

By Steve Peterson
Nvidia introduces new gaming console

Mon 07 Jan 2013 7:25am GMT / 2:25am EST / 11:25pm PST

Portable Project Shield plays Android games, streams PC games

Update: According to the geforce.com website, Shield will ship in Q2 of 2013 for the US and Canada, with a worldwide rollout to follow. Pricing and final specs will be announced closer to availability.

Nvidia just held their CES press conference, announcing a new gaming console, Project Shield, that may just change the gaming industry. Project Shield is a portable gaming console built around the new Tegra 4 chip (also just announced) running Android, with an unusual form factor. Essentially, Project Shield is a standard game controller (looking very much like a Xbox 360 or a PS3 controller) with a 5 inch HD screen attached. Project Shield not only runs Android games, it can also stream games from any Windows PC powered by an Nvidia GTX GPU, accessing titles on its Steam game library from anywhere in the home.

According to Nvidia, "Project Shield combines the advanced processing power of Nvidia Tegra 4, breakthrough game-speed Wi-Fi technology and stunning HD video and audio built into a console-grade controller." It can be used to play on its own integrated screen or on a big screen, and on the couch or on the go. Project Shield can instantly download Android games, including Android-optimized titles available on Nvidia's TegraZone game store. It can also be used as a wireless game receiver to a nearby PC equipped with an Nvidia GeForce GTX 650 GPU or higher.

"Project SHIELD was created by NVIDIA engineers who love to game and imagined a new way to play," said Jen-Hsun Huang, co-founder and chief executive officer at NVIDIA. "We were inspired by a vision that the rise of mobile and cloud technologies will free us from our boxes, letting us game anywhere, on any screen. We imagined a device that would do for games what the iPod and Kindle have done for music and books, letting us play in a cool new way. We hope other gamers love SHIELD as much as we do."

Huang showed Project Shield running games like Assassin's Creed III and Need For Speed: Most Wanted, streaming them from a nearby PC and routing the video through Project Shield to a 4K TV (that's a TV running at four times the resolution of a 1080p HDTV, or 3840 x 2160 resolution). The process showed no apparent lag, and the gaming proceeded smoothly during the demo. Huang noted that right now you'd need to connect an HDMI cable to tProject Shield and the TV, but 'soon' you would be able to stream video wirelessly from Project Shield to a properly equipped TV, similar to Apple's AirPlay technology.

Project Shield includes the new Tegra 4 chip, which Nvidia is billing as 'the world's fastest mobile processor.' The chip has a custom 72 core GeForce GPU and the first quad-core application of ARM's most advanced CPU core, the Cortex A-15. The integrated 5-inch, 1280x720 HD retinal multitouch display is 294 dpi. Nvidia also promises that its Tegra 4 with Direct Touch technology gives it touch responsiveness that is a more consistent, accurate and smooth-flowing touch input experience than a standard touch device.

Nvidia is not neglecting audio, saying that Project Shield "provides fidelity and dynamic range never before available on a portable device, through its custom, bass reflex, tuned port audio system -- with twice the low-frequency output of high-end laptops." Other features include 802.11n 2x2 MIMO game-speed Wi-Fi provides high-bandwidth, ultra-fast wireless for seamless game streaming, and the latest version of Android Jelly Bean.

Mark Rein, vice president and co-founder of Epic Games, said: "With Project Shield, Nvidia brings an uncompromising, high-performance console experience to mobile devices. Amazing games including Real Boxing and Hawken, which utilize the latest Unreal Engine technology, look fantastic on Project Shield. This is just the beginning, and we're truly excited to see what more Unreal Engine developers will do with so much horsepower in such a compact gaming device."

Bill Wagner, chief production officer at Meteor Entertainment, said: "Coming from the openness of a PC platform, we love how accessible Project Shield is, and the flexibility it gives gamers everywhere. Project Shield gives us the cutting-edge ability to bring a huge free-to-play PC game like Hawken to the handheld gaming audience."

Being able to play PC games anywhere in the house with a good-quality controller, and put those games on a TV screen when you like are both compelling features. It's worth noting, though, that many PC games are not controller-friendly, and really require a keyboard and a mouse to be played well. Nvidia may have solutions in mind for such games, but nothing was said about that during the press conference.

Nvidia made no mention of two of the most important features of Project Shield: the release date and the price. It's likely that Nvidia plans to release the device in the next quarter or two; a later release would give competitors plenty of time to come up with strategic responses, and no sensible company would want to make it easy for the competition.

Pricing is critical, of course, to the potential success of Project Shield. The marketplace is crowded with consoles, handheld consoles, smartphones and tablets all trying to appeal to gamers. A Project Shield at $100 might sell incredibly well; the same device at $500 would likely sit on shelves. Given the hardware capabilities outlined, Project Shield's price will probably lie somewhere between these two extremes. The exact price point, and the amount of marketing and developer support behind the device, will make a big difference to its ultimate fate in the marketplace.

While many questions remain, this announcement from a company like Nvidia should be cause for Sony, Nintendo and Microsoft to give some thought to their console strategies and how they might respond if Project Shield proves popular. Nvidia will have to put some serious resources into Project Shield if they expect to make headway against current and future consoles. One thing's for sure: The console wars of 2013 are already off to an interesting and unexpected start only a few days into the year. Get ready for a wild ride this year; whatever happens, it won't be boring.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2013-01-07-nvidia-introduces-new-gaming-console?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=european-daily
Report Spam   Logged

The dream is free.. the work to achieve it is sold separately.
OOC: An OOC expression of horror would confirm your humanity nicely. Wink
MLNO.  The only forum I know where expressions like the one above are commonplace. Tongue
Everyone is frustrating in their own special way.
"Right is right, even if everyone is against it. Wrong is wrong, even if everyone is for it." ♥
"If you're not havin a good day, change your mind!!"
Blade
Lightning Girl
A - Azure Striker
Crimson Apple Masterpiece Built!

MLNO Reputation 100

Awards:
Team: Network Strikers
Purpose: To stay DETERMINED

Bird... GO!

« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2013, 08:01:06 pm »

Okay, this is certainly an interesting development; and Steam on the go could be an awesome turn of events.

I'm optimistically cautious, though, and will wait for further details.
Report Spam   Logged

I'm a girl - I'm a lesbian.

-==Blade's Story Library==-
-==Blade's RPG Library==-
A fresh start for the signature, aside for the libraries.

Blade is laughing ominously RUN FOR YOUR LIVES!!!
The forum is a girl? 0_o
I imagine new people coming to the forum expecting to see discussion about LEGO, only to see RPGs full of deranged characters and insane people talking about cheese and brains.
I'm beet. I don't think I'll do homework tonight.
So, you're a vegetable? Tongue
Flipz
Inventor

MLNO Reputation 2

Purpose: Oh, just to hang out occasionally.

Yeah, I have that effect on people.

Level 6 Tenth Year Anniversary Ninth Year Anniversary
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2013, 10:37:49 pm »

Hmm...this reminds me a bit of one of my favorite WiiU features: the ability to take the game off the TV screen, stream it to portable, and have the TV available for others to use.

That said, it's a lot less useful for PC (at least for me), since I'm usually the only one using my computer.
Report Spam   Logged

3DS Friend Code: 3625-9584-9417 (Pokemon X Friend Safari: Electric-type, Pachirisu, Electabuzz, Huh?)
Fallen London Profile!
Joining through the link on my page earns me coffee.
Welcome, Delicious Friend!
Blade
Lightning Girl
A - Azure Striker

MLNO Reputation 100

Awards:

Bird... GO!

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2013, 09:28:37 am »

Yeah. Though; one very interesting feature is to plug in the game to another TV elsewhere, if it supports the input. So, you could take a game from a low def monitor(Why you would have less than 1024 x 768 is a good question, but...), and stick it on a HD TV, if you had one.
Report Spam   Logged

The forum is a girl? 0_o
I imagine new people coming to the forum expecting to see discussion about LEGO, only to see RPGs full of deranged characters and insane people talking about cheese and brains.
MsRowdyRedhead
Sage Mentor......... (renowned for profound wisdom)
A - MLNO Featured Admin of '08
Exciting Poster

MLNO Reputation 100

Awards:
Purpose: Harmony

The forum can't be the same without our friends.

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2013, 11:29:36 pm »

SANTA CLARA, Calif. – Nvidia‘s Project Shield remains on schedule for release in the second quarter, the company’s chief executive said.

shield 2Jen-Hsun Huang, CEO of the world’s biggest standalone graphics chip maker, said in a speech today to investors that Nvidia is targeting Project Shield — a game controller with a 5-inch screen attached — at the most enthusiastic gamers on the Android platform.

“Shield becomes the ultimate Android gaming device,” he said.

He also noted that Nvidia has invested around $10 million in the project. That’s similar to the $8 million-plus raised via Kickstarter for the Ouya microconsole, but it’s also a lot less than major home console makers spend on a launch. On the other hand, Nvidia spends $880 million a year on the core R&D behind its chips and $300 million more on Tegra itself. All of that money makes it easier to launch Project Shield.

He did not share many other details. He said that Project Shield will “hopefully be on shelves by the end of Q2. It is going into production soon.”

Project Shield lets players enjoy free-to-play Android games on a big screen TV by connecting the Shield device to the TV via a HDMI cable. The aim is to bring the disruptive power of an app store full of free-to-play games to the television in direct competition with $60 games.

With Shield, you can play PC games — like those from the digital distribution service Steam — on the TV or its small portable display. The PC does the hard work of processing the game, using a GeForce graphics processing unit (GPU). It then displays the image on the TV or monitor. Then you can control the game with the Project Shield controller. The PC can also use Wi-Fi to stream the video of the game to the Project Shield screen.

I played the PC version of Borderlands 2 on the Shield today, and it worked great. The graphics are top-notch, and they look good on both the TV screen and the small screen. That capability to play PC games is an edge that Shield has over the likes of Moga, Green Throttle Games, and other devices that can only play Android games. Project Shield is also a good match in this respect for the PC-focused Razor Edge, which Razor will sell for $1,200 or more. You can bet that Nvidia isn’t going to be charging that much for Project Shield. (It has not announced a price).

Nvidia hasn’t announced any Project Shield exclusive games yet — nor has it announced any games at all. On the other hand, it doesn’t have to. It can run your existing collection of PC and Android games.

Project Shield will use Nvidia’s latest Tegra 4 processor, which is going to have PC-like graphics performance. Shield can also tap games that are available on Android in Nvidia’s Tegra Zone game portal. It’s cool to get Android games in the living room. But Huang said that “Android is not just a mobile operating system. It is a computing system.”

Tegra Zone’s user base has grown by 80 percent over the year, said Phil Carmack, head of Nvidia’s Tegra business. Carmack noted that 76 percent of revenue in the Google Play app store is now coming from games.

Here’s a video I shot today with Andrew Coonrad, tech marketing analyst at Nvidia, about Project Shield. Hopefully, Nvidia will have more details available soon.

http://vimeo.com/63853911#t=11
« Last Edit: April 12, 2013, 11:33:39 pm by MsRowdyRedhead » Report Spam   Logged

The dream is free.. the work to achieve it is sold separately.
OOC: An OOC expression of horror would confirm your humanity nicely. Wink
MLNO.  The only forum I know where expressions like the one above are commonplace. Tongue
Everyone is frustrating in their own special way.
"Right is right, even if everyone is against it. Wrong is wrong, even if everyone is for it." ♥
"If you're not havin a good day, change your mind!!"
Blade
Lightning Girl
A - Azure Striker

MLNO Reputation 100

Awards:

Bird... GO!

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2013, 09:44:07 am »

Funnily enough, the only thing I'd get Android market-wise is the Sonic games they're releasing on the Retro engine, because of the awesome changes they have. =P
Report Spam   Logged

The forum is a girl? 0_o
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

LEGO® is a trademark of the LEGO Group, which does not sponsor, authorize or endorse this site.
Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum