News Box
WELCOME TO MLNO!!! ... ENJOY YOUR TIME HERE! ... WHILE YOU ARE HERE, CHECK OUT OUR RPGS!
My LEGO Nexus Organization
March 29, 2024, 07:27:42 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to My Lego Nexus Organization! A LEGO Universe, LEGO and My LEGO Network Fan Site! The LEGO Company does not sponsor, authorize, or endorse this site.-- New? Check out the welcome forum and get started! Got questions? PM Blade, or one of the other active members of the staff.

Home   Forum   Help Arcade Gallery Rules The MOC Corner Staff List Login Register Chat  

Microsoft Has Hired People To Make Positive Comments About Xbox One On Reddit,

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Microsoft Has Hired People To Make Positive Comments About Xbox One On Reddit,  (Read 490 times)
MsRowdyRedhead
Sage Mentor......... (renowned for profound wisdom)
A - MLNO Featured Admin of '08
Exciting Poster

MLNO Reputation 100

Awards:
Team: No Team
Purpose: Harmony

The forum can't be the same without our friends.

Badges: (View All)
Tenth Year Anniversary Ninth Year Anniversary Eighth Year Anniversary
« on: June 07, 2013, 09:11:52 pm »

Microsoft Has Hired People To Make Positive Comments About Xbox One On Reddit, Contractor Says
Julie Bort | Jun. 7, 2013, 4:13 PM | 65,980 | 12

Microsoft is doing something on Reddit that is a big no-no, according to a Redditor that goes by the name "mistysilver."

Representatives of Microsoft may be hanging out on the social news site voting up positive comments about the Xbox One, voting down negative comments and adding pro-Xbox comments of their own, Misty Silver says.

Misty Silver didn't reveal his/her real identity, except to say. "I work for a marketing firm in Redmond that has a contract with Microsoft. I can't say specifically which division, but suffice to say we are not involved with the Xbox."

The story goes: While at Microsoft for a meeting, Misty Silver saw and overheard some employees on Reddit. She looked at one of the employee's screens:

"I noticed he was mass-downvoting a ton of posts and comments, and he kept switching to other tabs to make posts and comments of his own. I couldn't make out exactly what he was posting, but I presumed he was doing RM (reputation management) and asked my boss about it later. According to my boss, MS have[sic] just brought in a huge sweep of SMM managers to handle reputation management for the Xbox One," Silver reported.

"Reputation management" is the term social media marketers use to "pose as happy customers" on social media sites. They upvote/downvote and make comments.

In the last year or so, Reddit has become a prime target for reputation management, Misty Silver says.

Reddit says its ok for people to submit their own info to Reddit within reason. But it's strictly against the rules to either "pretend to be someone else" or to "create mass downvote or upvote campaigns."

In extreme cases it can get an entire company completely banned from Reddit.

That's probably impossible with Microsoft. Legit Redditors are going to want to discuss the company and its products. But this kind of stuff still really irks Redditors. One of them even outed a Reddit account they thought belonged to a Microsoft marketer.

Obviously, we can't confirm this story. We asked Microsoft for comment on if they have people on their payroll using Reddit.

This is what Microsoft told us: "There is no coordinated or sanctioned effort by Microsoft employees, or anyone paid by Microsoft, to unduly influence Reddit or other online forums."

Still the idea of "reputation management" is for real.

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/microsoft-positive-reddit-comments-2013-6#ixzz2VaQUqxg6
Report Spam   Logged

The dream is free.. the work to achieve it is sold separately.
OOC: An OOC expression of horror would confirm your humanity nicely. Wink
MLNO.  The only forum I know where expressions like the one above are commonplace. Tongue
Everyone is frustrating in their own special way.
"Right is right, even if everyone is against it. Wrong is wrong, even if everyone is for it." ♥
"If you're not havin a good day, change your mind!!"
Blade
Lightning Girl
A - Azure Striker
Crimson Apple Masterpiece Built!

MLNO Reputation 100

Awards:
Team: Network Strikers
Purpose: To stay DETERMINED

Bird... GO!

« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2013, 09:50:05 am »

It still doesn't change the fact that the Xbox ONE is a freaking step backwards, instead of forwards. But, well, didn't we already know that the Xbox typically does that, what with their silly 'pay to play online' scheme? =P

Ball's simply in Sony's court now, time to see if they drop it like Microsoft did, or do better in some cases. (We know Backwards compatibility is out in the traditional form, but whether you'll be able to play without PAYING again is another question. =p
Report Spam   Logged

I'm a girl - I'm a lesbian.

-==Blade's Story Library==-
-==Blade's RPG Library==-
A fresh start for the signature, aside for the libraries.

Blade is laughing ominously RUN FOR YOUR LIVES!!!
The forum is a girl? 0_o
I imagine new people coming to the forum expecting to see discussion about LEGO, only to see RPGs full of deranged characters and insane people talking about cheese and brains.
I'm beet. I don't think I'll do homework tonight.
So, you're a vegetable? Tongue
MsRowdyRedhead
Sage Mentor......... (renowned for profound wisdom)
A - MLNO Featured Admin of '08
Exciting Poster

MLNO Reputation 100

Awards:
Team: No Team
Purpose: Harmony

The forum can't be the same without our friends.

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2013, 04:23:18 pm »

If PS4 stays the way it's looking and doesn't do the DRM related stuff Microsoft's pulling for XB1, Microsoft's going to have a dead-in-the-water console on their hands.

I think among the two power-focused sluggers, Sony has a massive advantage going into this generation. I think they were mum about their console on purpose, waiting for MS to make a huge PR blunder like this so they could see what not do for their own
Report Spam   Logged

The dream is free.. the work to achieve it is sold separately.
OOC: An OOC expression of horror would confirm your humanity nicely. Wink
MLNO.  The only forum I know where expressions like the one above are commonplace. Tongue
Everyone is frustrating in their own special way.
"Right is right, even if everyone is against it. Wrong is wrong, even if everyone is for it." ♥
"If you're not havin a good day, change your mind!!"
elliwhi1008751
Journeyman

MLNO Reputation 0

Purpose: Just hanging around and catching up with old friends Cheesy

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2013, 04:28:59 pm »

Ok, that is stupid.

Sure, 99.9999% of the worlds teenagers go on Rddit, but doing that is just disgraceful IMO.
Report Spam   Logged

Rank 10. Retired from MLN but willing to help lower ranks! Russian, pianist, clarinetist, long jumper and hurdler.

MY MLN PAGE: http://mln.lego.com/en-gb/PublicView/elliwhi1008751.aspx
Blade
Lightning Girl
A - Azure Striker
Crimson Apple Masterpiece Built!

MLNO Reputation 100

Awards:
Team: Network Strikers
Purpose: To stay DETERMINED

Bird... GO!

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2013, 06:59:01 pm »

MsRR: I wholeheartedly agree there. If they don't do the same blunders they did with the PS3(We won't even talk about the Vita, it just was bad and let's leave it at that), then they'll definitely be the better console this time around. Heck, the Wii U has it's advantages, yeah, but the PS4 has the potential to repeat it's PS2 success. It's just that the One would be the Gamecube of this generation, and just because Microsoft did everything wrong with it... just like with 8. =P(Though to 8's advantage, it has better capabilities... Once you strip away everything bad about 8. =P)
Report Spam   Logged

I'm a girl - I'm a lesbian.

-==Blade's Story Library==-
-==Blade's RPG Library==-
A fresh start for the signature, aside for the libraries.

Blade is laughing ominously RUN FOR YOUR LIVES!!!
The forum is a girl? 0_o
I imagine new people coming to the forum expecting to see discussion about LEGO, only to see RPGs full of deranged characters and insane people talking about cheese and brains.
I'm beet. I don't think I'll do homework tonight.
So, you're a vegetable? Tongue
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

LEGO® is a trademark of the LEGO Group, which does not sponsor, authorize or endorse this site.
Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum