News Box
WELCOME TO MLNO!!! ... ENJOY YOUR TIME HERE! ... WHILE YOU ARE HERE, CHECK OUT OUR RPGS!
My LEGO Nexus Organization
April 19, 2024, 11:21:57 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Guests: Please register and look around! Tell your friends. Registration is instant, but you'll have to wait for an active admin to get online to approve your account, which should take less than 24 hours.  If you do not receive your approval email, just try to login. We are having issues with the automated email system.

Home   Forum   Help Arcade Gallery Rules The MOC Corner Staff List Login Register Chat  

YOUR stop motion videos!

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: YOUR stop motion videos!  (Read 1110 times)
Jayko
Initiate

MLNO Reputation 12

Purpose: To post informative and helpful posts!

Kaboom!

Badges: (View All)
Search Level 4 Apple User
« on: August 02, 2011, 02:49:34 pm »

I did not see a thread about this, so I decided to make one Smiley

Do you do stop motion? If so, what? What software do you use, what camera? How do you get your lighting? This is a place to discuss your stop motion movies!

To start it of, some of you may know I was working on a stop motion for quite some time. And finally, after 30+ hours of work, it is finished!
(this was shot at 12 FPS using Logitech Quickcam Pro 4000, and edited with iMovie '11.)

Enjoy!  Grin
« Last Edit: August 02, 2011, 04:02:28 pm by Jayko » Report Spam   Logged

hobino
Apprentice

MLNO Reputation 0

Level 5 Level 4 Tenth Year Anniversary
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2011, 03:39:12 pm »

The link is not working for me... I would love to see what you did!

For the camera, is yours specific for filming stop-motion or it is just a normal photo camera?
Report Spam   Logged

Avatar by CapnSkye, thanks buddy!

An apple a day keeps the Maelstrom away!
Jayko
Initiate

MLNO Reputation 12

Kaboom!

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2011, 04:03:31 pm »

The link is not working for me... I would love to see what you did!

For the camera, is yours specific for filming stop-motion or it is just a normal photo camera?

There we go, Sorry about that

The camera I use is supposed to be a webcam, but works really well for stop motion, mainly because of its manual focus. (only downside is the 640 x 480 resolution)
Report Spam   Logged

Legodac
Failed
X Banned Members
Inventor

MLNO Reputation -10

Awards:
Team: No Team
Purpose: Well, to bring you Lego news Camera  my own Lego Store, then perhaps being the 9th Lego Pro, then if there is enough money, I may bring Stanley Home

AND ONE BOWL OF VEGGIE BEEF SOUP, TO FEED THEM ALL

Level 5 Fourth Year Anniversary Combination
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2011, 08:20:49 pm »

Stop motion is one of my untold dreams, I know I have the patience, but I lack the tools. Some of the ideas I would do with Lego are pretty cool, but again, I need to practice some.

Jayko, Jarren, your video was awesome and very entertaining, and I'm not just saying that, I watch a lot of lego stop motion. It is a superior form of entertainment.

Good song and I really like how you made it look like a real music video. Have you considered sending this to the artists of the song yet, go for it, you just might be surprised.
Report Spam   Logged

From Frostburgh they came,           the clones of the cold, through the tunnel in the frame,            to a tower so old
clic this eh http://s681.photobucket.com/albums/vv176/legodac/?start=all
Jayko
Initiate

MLNO Reputation 12

Kaboom!

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2011, 08:53:29 pm »

Stop motion is one of my untold dreams, I know I have the patience, but I lack the tools. Some of the ideas I would do with Lego are pretty cool, but again, I need to practice some.

Jayko, Jarren, your video was awesome and very entertaining, and I'm not just saying that, I watch a lot of lego stop motion. It is a superior form of entertainment.

Good song and I really like how you made it look like a real music video. Have you considered sending this to the artists of the song yet, go for it, you just might be surprised.

Thanks for the kind words Legodac!
The webcam I used cost me $20 off of ebay, super cheap, and has a hole on each size, the same size as a technic pin, allowing me to build it directly into my set. I would highly recommend this camera for starting.

I had a friend actual tell me I should "@mention" the band leader on twitter, I did, and guess what? He responded less than 3 minutes later! And re-tweeted to his 5000 followers!
Report Spam   Logged

Legodac
Failed
X Banned Members
Inventor

MLNO Reputation -10

Awards:
Purpose: Well, to bring you Lego news Camera  my own Lego Store, then perhaps being the 9th Lego Pro, then if there is enough money, I may bring Stanley Home

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2011, 06:44:24 am »

That's pretty cool Jayko, I bet it makes you feel great as well.
Thanks for your advice, soon as I recover from the BrickFete Convention (recover financially) I'm going to get myself a webcam and get started, I would really like to try it. When I do, perhaps I could enlist your services to help get me started?  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

From Frostburgh they came,           the clones of the cold, through the tunnel in the frame,            to a tower so old
Jas765
Raven Shredder
Craftsman

MLNO Reputation 0

Purpose: purples

Seventh Year Anniversary Sixth Year Anniversary Fifth Year Anniversary
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2011, 08:04:39 am »

I've enjoyed stop-motion a lot over the past years, but I haven't been able to make a new video in almost a year. It's a real shame 'cause I know I'm more than capable of it and I can do lots of fancy visual effects that other people can't (or at least don't). I've had plans to make an episodic series, but it's only gone so far as a first draft. Since my last video I've also gotten a green screen and lego train tracks that can be used as a dolly, so there's so much I can do but just haven't had the time to. In the time between now and my last published video I have attempted to make more, but they never quite worked so they were never released. Maybe I'll post them here in an incomplete form.

I'm a bit nostalgic, in the sense that I like to make either nods or direct references to old LEGO themes. This is most obvious with my repeated use of the Brickster Bots from LEGO Island. I also like to use sound effects and songs taken straight out of old LEGO games.

Most of my videos were made for the LUCL in its prime, but that was years ago and now, looking back at them, I can see how far I've come. I mean, looking at my earliest compared to my latest (which is still nearly a year ago, mind you), I can see just how far I've come. Looking back at that first video, I'm actually completely embarrassed about the music - I randomly tried to make a rhythm on GarageBand, but because I was just using my computer keyboard it recorded it all laggy and I wasn't bothered to adjust the note lengths so it turned out horribly.

Here's the last video I've done, 'cause it was uploaded to the LUCL it has been disgustingly compressed.
http://universe.lego.com/en-us/community/creationlab/displaycreation.aspx?id=4fda2132-1bee-4578-858a-ac956975512f

And here's my first stop-motion video for comparison:
http://universe.lego.com/en-us/community/creationlab/displaycreation.aspx?id=f5f78c8a-b941-4505-baa7-aa6eb392783d

Making a video has several steps, and I use different things for each of them.
For the picture taking, I use a Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ28. It's not a DSLR, but I can still manually adjust the focus and take photos in 16:9 (widescreen), so I don't have to do it later.
After importing the photos into iPhoto, I split the pictures up into scenes, and individually create an image sequence and export it as a .mov in 1080p in photoshop for each scene. I normally use 12-15 fps (I think I've been using 15 lately), but the Brickster Bot video had some 24 fps parts in it.
I do the editing in Final Cut Express, it allows me to use a lot more advanced and technical things, and it's a lot better than just using iMovie.
Sometimes I try doing visual effects in Adobe Flash, but now I try and avoid it because it normally results in a lower quality image and exporting the flash animation as a movie file will always leave unwanted marks similar to a digital TV with bad reception. I usually use FCE for effects now, but the bouncing boom box in the brickster bot video is a flash movie with a keyed out green background. If you look closely enough, you can see that the speakers individually get bigger and smaller, just like in LEGO Island 2.
Once it's finished in FCE, I export it out in its highest quality and then use iMovie to export it again for the web.
Report Spam   Logged

siggity dig
Legodac
Failed
X Banned Members
Inventor

MLNO Reputation -10

Awards:

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2011, 08:18:58 am »

Thanks Jas, I thought they were both really cool and I've already created a stop motion guide folder on my computer for future reference, I copied and pasted this whole topic, tell me, are all your videos in LU?
Report Spam   Logged

Jas765
Raven Shredder
Craftsman

MLNO Reputation 0

Purpose: purples

Seventh Year Anniversary Sixth Year Anniversary Fifth Year Anniversary
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2011, 08:47:24 am »

All of my released ones, yes. There are still a few that I never finished or intended to publish, namely tests and incomplete videos.
Report Spam   Logged

siggity dig
Legodac
Failed
X Banned Members
Inventor

MLNO Reputation -10

Awards:

« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2011, 02:19:31 pm »

Perhaps they would fit here in this topic as educational guidance.
Report Spam   Logged

Legodac
Failed
X Banned Members
Inventor

MLNO Reputation -10

Awards:

« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2011, 07:35:53 pm »

Double posting is an option chosen by those who are desperate to keep a topic alive on the front page where everyone can see and benefit from the glory of Lego magnificence and share in the Glory eh  Wink Cheesy
Report Spam   Logged

CheshireCat150
Craftsman

MLNO Reputation 10

Purpose: To inspire others to be the best that they can

Set your own goals; reach for the stars.

Search Fifth Year Anniversary Fourth Year Anniversary
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2011, 10:27:44 am »

Whoa, Jayko, that is EPIC! Congrats!! I can only imagine how much time and thought you put into that awesome video. Did you have a music video for ideas and reference? That is just AMAZING. WOW.

GREAT job!!

(Sorry I couldn't reply earlier; I was busy finishing up a class).
Report Spam   Logged

"Choosing to be committed to one thing means being less committed to another. Choose wisely."-One of my heroes...
CheesyMy NXT projectsCheesy
Join FLL (ages 9-14) -- Join FTC (ages 14-18) -- Join FRC (ages 14-18)
To the world you maybe be one person, but to one person you may be the world
Jayko
Initiate

MLNO Reputation 12

Kaboom!

« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2011, 02:05:05 pm »

Whoa, Jayko, that is EPIC! Congrats!! I can only imagine how much time and thought you put into that awesome video. Did you have a music video for ideas and reference? That is just AMAZING. WOW.

GREAT job!!

(Sorry I couldn't reply earlier; I was busy finishing up a class).

Thanks! The group didn't have a music video for it, so I made one! xD
Report Spam   Logged

CheshireCat150
Craftsman

MLNO Reputation 10

Purpose: To inspire others to be the best that they can

Set your own goals; reach for the stars.

Search Fifth Year Anniversary Fourth Year Anniversary
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2011, 09:46:32 pm »

SWEET. I was just thinking about how much time it took you to make it. You said 30+ hours? Did you get tired at all of the actual song?

How many frames per second did you use?
Report Spam   Logged

"Choosing to be committed to one thing means being less committed to another. Choose wisely."-One of my heroes...
CheesyMy NXT projectsCheesy
Join FLL (ages 9-14) -- Join FTC (ages 14-18) -- Join FRC (ages 14-18)
To the world you maybe be one person, but to one person you may be the world
Jayko
Initiate

MLNO Reputation 12

Kaboom!

« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2011, 03:50:39 pm »

SWEET. I was just thinking about how much time it took you to make it. You said 30+ hours? Did you get tired at all of the actual song?

How many frames per second did you use?

Oh yes, the song got very borring. But it puts a whole new view on it for me now.  I shot it at 12 frames per second. There are some things I wished I would have slowed down more (make smaller movements) But oh well...
Report Spam   Logged

MsRowdyRedhead
Sage Mentor......... (renowned for profound wisdom)
A - MLNO Featured Admin of '08
Exciting Poster

MLNO Reputation 100

Awards:
Purpose: Harmony

The forum can't be the same without our friends.

Tenth Year Anniversary Ninth Year Anniversary Eighth Year Anniversary
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2013, 01:47:43 pm »

NOT MINE.. but way Kewl

« Last Edit: July 02, 2013, 01:48:45 pm by MsRowdyRedhead » Report Spam   Logged

The dream is free.. the work to achieve it is sold separately.
OOC: An OOC expression of horror would confirm your humanity nicely. Wink
MLNO.  The only forum I know where expressions like the one above are commonplace. Tongue
Everyone is frustrating in their own special way.
"Right is right, even if everyone is against it. Wrong is wrong, even if everyone is for it." ♥
"If you're not havin a good day, change your mind!!"
KnightsFan
MLN Quester
Craftsman

MLNO Reputation 3

Awards:

Level 6 Tenth Year Anniversary Ninth Year Anniversary
« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2013, 04:06:07 pm »

I used to make stopmotion movies. Good times... Okay, I give in. If someone gives me a good topic, I'll make a stopmotion movie about it and put it up here.
Report Spam   Logged
MsRowdyRedhead
Exciting Poster

MLNO Reputation 100

Awards:

« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2013, 06:39:08 pm »

Fourth of July??

Car broke down on a mountain road on a hot day??
Report Spam   Logged

MLNO.  The only forum I know where expressions like the one above are commonplace. Tongue
"Right is right, even if everyone is against it. Wrong is wrong, even if everyone is for it." ♥
KnightsFan
MLN Quester
Craftsman

MLNO Reputation 3

Awards:

Level 6 Tenth Year Anniversary Ninth Year Anniversary
« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2013, 02:10:58 pm »

And 4th of July wins. I realized it had to be released on the 4th itself, so I rushed to get it done.
36 hours later...

Thanks for the ideas!
Report Spam   Logged
MsRowdyRedhead
Exciting Poster

MLNO Reputation 100

Awards:

« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2013, 03:03:39 pm »

Excellent!!! The highjacker was a complete surprise!! So was the ending =D
« Last Edit: July 04, 2013, 04:04:33 pm by MsRowdyRedhead » Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

LEGO® is a trademark of the LEGO Group, which does not sponsor, authorize or endorse this site.
Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum