News Box
WELCOME TO MLNO!!! ... ENJOY YOUR TIME HERE! ... WHILE YOU ARE HERE, CHECK OUT OUR RPGS!
My LEGO Nexus Organization
April 20, 2024, 06:53:59 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Guests: Please register and look around! Tell your friends. Registration is instant, but you'll have to wait for an active admin to get online to approve your account, which should take less than 24 hours.  If you do not receive your approval email, just try to login. We are having issues with the automated email system.

Home   Forum   Help Arcade Gallery Rules The MOC Corner Staff List Login Register Chat  

Pokémon General Discussion

Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23 ... 187   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Pokémon General Discussion  (Read 58736 times)
Dudebot5000

Badges: (View All)
« Reply #360 on: March 30, 2009, 04:41:49 pm »

It... Should be impossible to beat a gym of that level using only Rock Smash... Right? 0_o
Report Spam   Logged
The Truth
Ace RPG Master
Emote Manager
Veteran

MLNO Reputation 100

Awards:
Team: No Team
Purpose: Flower Garden 2/3, now on my DeviantART!

Yes, my Lord.

Tenth Year Anniversary Ninth Year Anniversary Eighth Year Anniversary
« Reply #361 on: March 30, 2009, 04:56:04 pm »

The base power of Rock Smash is a mesely 40.  I don't see how you could win everything with just Rock Smash.
that gyms pokemon are weak against grass and don't effect ground, so they didn't do a thing to my Torterra, giving me lots of time for free hits. though I did get Paralyzed a lot....
« Last Edit: May 29, 2013, 08:05:07 pm by Blade » Report Spam   Logged

Quote from: Albert Einstein
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits.
Try SWTOR free via this link and we both get prizes.

SWTOR info:
Server: The Harbinger. Name: Pythirr.
Class: Sith Inquisitor (Assassin). Alignment: Light Side V.
Level: 60! Legacy level: 50. Current planet:  Yavin IV dailies. Current OP: The Ravagers. Legacy Surname: Falton
Collector's Edition, VIP, Founder, PTS 1.2 and 1.3, RotHC Pre-order, , SOR Beta Tester, and Pre-Order player.
Other characters: Ullonit (Agent), Ka'laana (Consular), Hasko (Trooper), Vítrial (Warrior), Massacha (Smuggler), Nassius (Bounty Hunter), Liralee (Knight).
The Truth
Ace RPG Master
Emote Manager
Veteran

MLNO Reputation 100

Awards:

Yes, my Lord.

« Reply #362 on: March 30, 2009, 05:10:01 pm »

I'm assuming that you mean that Electric doesn't do much to Grass, right? 

I don't see why you would resort to having Torterra use Rock Smash there.  You should have just had him use Earthquake and rip the opposition apart. :-\
I accidentally deleted earthquake and don't have any heart scales to relearn it.  Cry Cry Cry
« Last Edit: May 29, 2013, 08:05:28 pm by Blade » Report Spam   Logged

SWTOR info:
Level: 60! Legacy level: 50. Current planet:  Yavin IV dailies. Current OP: The Ravagers. Legacy Surname: Falton
Collector's Edition, VIP, Founder, PTS 1.2 and 1.3, RotHC Pre-order, , SOR Beta Tester, and Pre-Order player.
Other characters: Ullonit (Agent), Ka'laana (Consular), Hasko (Trooper), Vítrial (Warrior), Massacha (Smuggler), Nassius (Bounty Hunter), Liralee (Knight).
The Host
Raven Shredder
Craftsman

MLNO Reputation 3

Purpose: Troll the Forums, Watch and Listen

Nation Dex Complete: 713 Owned

Fifth Year Anniversary Level 5 Windows User
« Reply #363 on: March 30, 2009, 05:22:00 pm »

@RP:  I still insist that Rapidash is inferior to Infernape.  It takes a reasonably good trainer to know how to use him properly, so one can't really say that he's weak without being fully involved in the metagame. 

And Rhyperior is really up in the air.  I'll definitely agree that it has outstanding HP, Attack, and Defense, but if I get a Special Sweeper out onto the field that has a super-effective attack, your Rhyperior is left wide open.  Now, I'll give that it does have Solid Rock, but it has such crippled Special Defense and Speed that it can be moved right around.  Just keep an eye on those two stats, and you should be fine. 

And again, I personally think you worry too much about simple typing and STAB.  Just focus on the movesets, stats, and strategies, and then worry about the little things like that.  The other things I've thrown out there are more important. 

And as for your tough time with the eighth Gym, use a Ground-type Pokemon, particularly one with Earthquake.  That can help take care of many of your problems.
Well, I pulled out Giratina from my PC and beat the 8th gym. On my way to victory road I got Leafeon back up to speed, since he's now lv 46.
And, where do you find the electrizer or whatever evolves electabuz?
« Last Edit: May 29, 2013, 08:05:46 pm by Blade » Report Spam   Logged

Not being able to speak is not the same as not having anything to say

And in the end we lie awake and we dream of making our escape
The Truth
Ace RPG Master
Emote Manager
Veteran

MLNO Reputation 100

Awards:

Yes, my Lord.

« Reply #364 on: March 30, 2009, 05:32:01 pm »

Well, if I could access Wi-Fi at the moment, I would consider trading some over to you, but I don't have access at the moment, so I can't. :-\  Sorry.
its fine. I'll just focus on leveling up for the Elite 4 (or really, 5). the last time your rival battles you (right before the E4) is probably the easiest! (yes, I know about the battle frontier battles, but I am just talking about the story mode)
« Last Edit: May 29, 2013, 08:06:00 pm by Blade » Report Spam   Logged

SWTOR info:
Dudebot5000

« Reply #365 on: March 30, 2009, 08:20:31 pm »

Apparently you can get one at Valley Windworks after Pastoria. 0_o

Might want to make sure you pick a good nature, etc. since you'd have to get one off a wild Elekid or Electabuzz otherwise. Wink
Report Spam   Logged
The Truth
Ace RPG Master
Emote Manager
Veteran

MLNO Reputation 100

Awards:

Yes, my Lord.

« Reply #366 on: March 30, 2009, 09:15:33 pm »

For an Electivire, I would go with a standard Physical Sweeper.  Go with an Adamant Nature, and give it 252 ATK/252 SPD/4 HP.  That's usually the way to go with a good Electivire. Wink 

@herochild:  Beefing up a Pokemon's level isn't necessarily a bad thing.  I'm just saying that maneuvering of EVs could be beneficial, but by no means do you have to do it that way.  I just see it as an easier way to get done faster. Wink
trust me, I need to level up. I lost to the first elite four guy, the bug one.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2013, 08:06:18 pm by Blade » Report Spam   Logged

SWTOR info:
Dudebot5000

« Reply #367 on: March 30, 2009, 10:01:10 pm »

Speaking of which,could you explain the basics of EV manupliation, if you get some time? I understand whet you guys are talking about, but I don't know how to do this myself. Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: May 29, 2013, 08:06:26 pm by Blade » Report Spam   Logged
B~T
Network Surfer
Artisan

MLNO Reputation 5

Awards:

Level 5 Level 4 Fourth Year Anniversary
« Reply #368 on: March 30, 2009, 10:55:58 pm »

To aid EV training, there are several EV training hotspots for your Pokemon.

Type of EV you want to gain to your PokemonPlaces of EV Training EV Value per Pokemon
HP-Trainer w/ Bidoof at Route 209, right by the muddy slope for bike.1 HP EV per Bidoof.
Attack- Fish at any of the three Legendary lakes with Super Rod.2 Atck. EVs per Gyarados/Seaking.
Defense- Ruin Maniac Cave.1 EV per Geodude/Hippopotas
Sp. Attack-Old Chateau/ Three Legendary lakes by Surfing.1 Sp. A EV per Gastly/Psyduck, 2 Sp. A EVs per Golduck/Haunter, 3 Sp. A EVs per Gengar
Sp. Defense-Tentacool at almost anywhere you Surf.1  SP. Def EV per Tentacool.
Speed-Route 225/226, preferably Route 226 for Diamond players as to avoid Memento Skuntanks.1 EV per Spearow/Rattata, 2 EVs per Fearow/Raticate

Somewhere sandwiched in the topic is another general description of EVs, in case you forgot what EVs were. I supply to you the EV training chart, which can really help.

Also, it is REALLY important that you keep track of your EVs. Once tiny change could mean a BIG stat difference.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2013, 08:06:42 pm by Blade » Report Spam   Logged
Ddude The Insane
News Reporter
MQ Leader
Inventor

MLNO Reputation 3

Awards:
Purpose: Stuff.

Sixth Year Anniversary Level 6 Fifth Year Anniversary
« Reply #369 on: March 31, 2009, 08:01:19 am »

Thanks,that is helpful.

Began training for Elite Four. Here is my goal against my current stats:

Current                            Goal
Infernape-lv 51                  Infernape-lv 60
Gardevoir-lv 49                  Gardevoir-lv 59
Electabuzz-lv 50                 Electabuzz-lv 59
Vaporeon-lv 50                   Vaporeon-lv 59
Togekiss-lv 50                   Togekiss-lv 59
Giratina-lv 49                     Giratina-lv 57

Report Spam   Logged

by that logic, cheese graters do not exist, as they are not graters made of cheese.
Quote from: My Best Friend
Do you just make everything I say into a quote?
Quote from: Gandalf
"You've found Narnia, Harry."
The Host
Raven Shredder
Craftsman

MLNO Reputation 3

« Reply #370 on: March 31, 2009, 02:11:26 pm »

Apparently you can get one at Valley Windworks after Pastoria. 0_o

Might want to make sure you pick a good nature, etc. since you'd have to get one off a wild Elekid or Electabuzz otherwise. Wink
For an Electivire, I would go with a standard Physical Sweeper.  Go with an Adamant Nature, and give it 252 ATK/252 SPD/4 HP.  That's usually the way to go with a good Electivire. Wink 

EDIT: got it, as well as Thunderbolt the tm. I'm currently standing infront of Flint in the E4 prepared to lose. Empoleon is my only hope against Flint, and Fire actually affects hhim due to his Stell type  :-\  Leafeon will be no good, and I've got no ground types to fight with.

Current team update:
Empoleon lv 54
Leafeon lv 52
Luxray lv 54
Rapidash lv 53
Giratina lv 47...

When I lose against Flint I'll try to train a Rhydon, Magmar and Electabuzz to be high level 40s and retry the E4 with Rhydon in my team...

And how would this team work out(eventually, as in post E4):

Electivire (lghtng)
Honchcrow (drk/flyng)
Leafeon (grs)
Magmortar(fire)
*Milotic/Floatzel (wtr)
**Dragonite/Salamance (drgn/flyng) or Rhyperior (rck/grnd)

*Not sure about which ones to use here. Milotic if I can get it, although I'll probably end up w/ Floatzel or another water type that I've overlooked.
** Okay, the choice is between Dragon or Rock type to complete my team. And with Dragon its between a powerhouse on attack but lacking in Speed(Dragonite) or one with more speed but less power, and doesn't learn Outrage(Salamance).
I was thinking about putting Tyranitar in, but I've got a dark type already. If you have anything to say about my team say it, and you can sub out some pkmn, but try to keep the types the same, or give suggestions on what to put in instead...

Thanks guys. And I may look for an adamant nature, but I probably won't do EV training just yet(although you never know...)
« Last Edit: May 29, 2013, 08:06:58 pm by Blade » Report Spam   Logged

Dudebot5000

« Reply #371 on: March 31, 2009, 06:51:28 pm »

Let's see...

B~T's Guide to EV training
B~T's guide to IVs

Anything else I should add/worry about?
« Last Edit: May 29, 2013, 08:07:28 pm by Blade » Report Spam   Logged
B~T
Network Surfer
Artisan

MLNO Reputation 5

Awards:

« Reply #372 on: March 31, 2009, 08:22:22 pm »

@RP - For your Pre-E4 team, your Pokemon team still has a Ground issue. Try getting a Flying type like Staraptor/Altaria/etc. as to avoid Ground attacks. You could try Garchomp for a spin, as it is legitimate Pre-E4, however is banned in competitive play*. I wouldn't suggest Rhyperior will only add to your Ground weakness, but if you really want it, get a Protector and another DS and friend so it'll evolve into a Rhyperior, which has tremendous Attack/Defense/HP, but try to avoid Special Sweepers. But a Rhydo would be Okay too. Instead, try Hippowdon out.
   These are my suggestions, so if you don't want to follow them, you don't have to.  

* In early D/P play, Garchomp was preferred by many players since it was a powerhouse in almost every stat. However, since it was so powerful it swept through many teams, it was moved to the Uber tier. Flygon, who sat in the shadows of Garchomp,regained popularity and is now OU since it is the only Ground/Dragon type left. Other than Attack and Speed, its other stats are not so hot, but has a versatile movepool.

@DB - Natures are important as well.
Report Spam   Logged
Dudebot5000

« Reply #373 on: March 31, 2009, 08:42:57 pm »

Of course... Natures. While I think I know the basics of how they work, could you go over how they work out in the grand scheme of things briefly?
Report Spam   Logged
Dudebot5000

« Reply #374 on: March 31, 2009, 10:09:58 pm »

That expands my knowledge quite nicely. It also means that I might want to re-create my team after I finish the game, if you get what I mean. =P

How would one go about getting good stats for Legendaries? The "save->fight->catch->turnsoutbadsoyouturnoffthegam etotryagain" method?
Report Spam   Logged
The Truth
Ace RPG Master
Emote Manager
Veteran

MLNO Reputation 100

Awards:

Yes, my Lord.

« Reply #375 on: March 31, 2009, 11:03:13 pm »

That expands my knowledge quite nicely. It also means that I might want to re-create my team after I finish the game, if you get what I mean. =P

How would one go about getting good stats for Legendaries? The "save->fight->catch->turnsoutbadsoyouturnoffthegam etotryagain" method?
that's how I do it.
Report Spam   Logged

SWTOR info:
Dudebot5000

« Reply #376 on: April 01, 2009, 05:35:01 am »

That's what I meant; Nature wise. Wink
« Last Edit: May 29, 2013, 08:07:37 pm by Blade » Report Spam   Logged
The Host
Raven Shredder
Craftsman

MLNO Reputation 3

« Reply #377 on: April 01, 2009, 03:00:18 pm »

I just realized that RP is ZLS. XD  I'll start calling you ZLS from now on, okay?  I usually refer to people by the name I've come to know them by. Smiley
lol, I'll respond to either...

Okay, what nature(s) should I try for for the following pkmn:
Electivire
Magmortar
Rhyperior

And I've recently seen the one absolutely horrible thing about my Rapidash: it's defence is the worst of my entire team and it can't take a big hit...
And to train for the E4 I decided on a reckless and costly method. I keep only Rapidash and Leafeon in my party and go from there. It did have some effect. Rapidash is now level 61 and can easily take out Aaron, Flint and the psychic guy, with Leafeon being used as a wall of some sort so I can revive/heal Rapidash as necessary. Sadly this method won't work very well with Empoleon and Luxray as they can't use super effective and STAB moves against the first two E4 people and Luxray can't do much else...

Anywho, I have the stuff to evolve Magmar, Electabuzz, Rhydon, Porygon(x2). Where can I find a Murkrow? or do I need a diamond version to trade it from?
@RP - For your Pre-E4 team, your Pokemon team still has a Ground issue. Try getting a Flying type like Staraptor/Altaria/etc. as to avoid Ground attacks. You could try Garchomp for a spin, as it is legitimate Pre-E4, however is banned in competitive play*. I wouldn't suggest Rhyperior will only add to your Ground weakness, but if you really want it, get a Protector and another DS and friend so it'll evolve into a Rhyperior, which has tremendous Attack/Defense/HP, but try to avoid Special Sweepers. But a Rhydo would be Okay too. Instead, try Hippowdon out.
   These are my suggestions, so if you don't want to follow them, you don't have to.  

* In early D/P play, Garchomp was preferred by many players since it was a powerhouse in almost every stat. However, since it was so powerful it swept through many teams, it was moved to the Uber tier. Flygon, who sat in the shadows of Garchomp,regained popularity and is now OU since it is the only Ground/Dragon type left. Other than Attack and Speed, its other stats are not so hot, but has a versatile movepool.
Thanks. I'll think about this and if I can find a hippodon I may use it.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2013, 08:07:52 pm by Blade » Report Spam   Logged

B~T
Network Surfer
Artisan

MLNO Reputation 5

Awards:

« Reply #378 on: April 01, 2009, 03:40:33 pm »

I just realized that RP is ZLS. XD  I'll start calling you ZLS from now on, okay?  I usually refer to people by the name I've come to know them by. Smiley

Electivire
Magmortar
Rhyperior

And I've recently seen the one absolutely horrible thing about my Rapidash: it's defence is the worst of my entire team and it can't take a big hit...
And to train for the E4 I decided on a reckless and costly method. I keep only Rapidash and Leafeon in my party and go from there. It did have some effect. Rapidash is now level 61 and can easily take out Aaron, Flint and the psychic guy, with Leafeon being used as a wall of some sort so I can revive/heal Rapidash as necessary. Sadly this method won't work very well with Empoleon and Luxray as they can't use super effective and STAB moves against the first two E4 people and Luxray can't do much else...

Anywho, I have the stuff to evolve Magmar, Electabuzz, Rhydon, Porygon(x2). Where can I find a Murkrow? or do I need a diamond version to trade it from?

Murkrow, Misdreavus, Stunky, and Glameow aren't available in Platinum. You need to trade it from FRLG/DP in order to get them. I'd rather you save the evolving objects for a better Pokemon.

If you want a Hippowdon, you have to go to the Ruin Maniac's cave for Hippopotas. They only appear 5% of the time if you don't catch Unown. Just catch 10 Unown so that your encounter rate with Hippopotas will increase to 10%, along with a bigger cave. IF you caught all the Unown, Hippopotas will appear 20% of the time.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2013, 08:08:15 pm by Blade » Report Spam   Logged
The Host
Raven Shredder
Craftsman

MLNO Reputation 3

« Reply #379 on: April 01, 2009, 05:40:15 pm »

Electivire
Magmortar
Rhyperior

Murkrow, Misdreavus, Stunky, and Glameow aren't available in Platinum. You need to trade it from FRLG/DP in order to get them. I'd rather you save the evolving objects for a better Pokemon.

If you want a Hippowdon, you have to go to the Ruin Maniac's cave for Hippopotas. They only appear 5% of the time if you don't catch Unown. Just catch 10 Unown so that your encounter rate with Hippopotas will increase to 10%, along with a bigger cave. IF you caught all the Unown, Hippopotas will appear 20% of the time.
Thanks, or I could trade one in from my pearl. On the Murkrow matter, that is bad, cause my brother recently "misplaced" his diamond version... which means I'm gonna have to go in search of it. He also said I could have it, though I'm pretty sure he was joking... I can get the other three from Pearl version tho...
« Last Edit: May 29, 2013, 08:08:31 pm by Blade » Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23 ... 187   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

LEGO® is a trademark of the LEGO Group, which does not sponsor, authorize or endorse this site.
Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum